Engine Noises?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Noises??
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:29 AM
My car has started a rather annoying ticking sound. I had thought it was a lifter, but I was reading on here and people say rod bearing failures are common on cavaliers. Usually only does it uner 1000 RPM, but a constant tick. Its gotta be just 1 cylinders lifter or bearing because of the time between ticks at an idle or at least I would think.

Can you explain a rob bearing noise, and a bleeding down lifter noise? Also, I have never been the bottom part of any engine. Can you get by with dissasembling only the bottom half of the engine in vehicle to change a rod bearing, or do you have to do a complete teardown of upper and lower parts of the engine out of vehicle?

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com

Re: Engine Noises??
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:37 PM
might be slack in the chain to do to tensioner being worn.. you need more info about your car milage and etc..

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:50 PM
Try popping the hood, listen to the sound and try to figure out if its coming from top or bottom, left or right ( timing chain or tranny side). Does this sound get worse as you rev the motor? driving or backing off throttle have any effect on the sound? I had a lifter out and it made a ticking sound slowly revving the car it would get louder but at full throttle it was hard to hear it altho i have really loud exhaust
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:04 PM
You can listen for it using a screwdriver (place the tip of it near different locations on the engine). As far as getting to the bottom, yes, it's a complete tear down after removing the engine.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:48 PM
Well, the tick is only at an idle. Any more than about 1200 rpms the tick goes away. Always returns at an idle, and also seems very constant. Under the hood it is very hard to hear when your close to it. As you walk away you can hear it again. Also, inside the car its very loud (the sound travels into the compartment).

If I was to guess, I would say a leaking down lifter because the oil pressure is lower at an idle so its not enough to keep it pumped up. I dont know what a loose timing chain\tensioner sounds like. If anything, its comming from the engine side, not the transmission. I cant tell if its in the top or the bottom.

Where would i hook a oil pressure guage up at? I have one, dont know it if it works, but might be a good shot to see if I have good pressure.

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search