another rookie getting interested. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
another rookie getting interested.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:02 PM
ok, now that i have your attention, please dont laugh at, or mock me.

ive gotten my car to where im satisfied with the looks (and everything is picked out to be put on by the end of this year 07)
at this point, i want to LEARN how and what everybody else here seems to know.

my OHV is obviously less than satisfactory to drive for anything other than gas mileage.
i have 98K miles on it and its a 3 speed automatic. everything working against me.
i bought an intake mainly to get rid of the stock box and make it sound a little better, i knew it wouldnt add much, if any power.

anyway, now thats over, heres the story.

i want to turbo my car. BUT i want to swap with either and ECO 2.2 or an LD9 2.4 FIRST.
im planning on a 5 speed conversion, and hopefully i can get this accomplished.

are there any links available about these swaps, whats needed to convert my POS to an eco or ld9?
any info you have would be very helpful.
im planning to start this early 2008 by building of pieces and parts and then by may, when i return from college, tearing apart my car and hooking it up with some moves.

what transmission would i need and how hard is it to swap (in case you havent realized..... ME + MOTOR knowledge= NEGATIVE)
i know an auto to 5 speed conversion is going to be harder than a straight 5 speed to 5 speed, because ill have to incorporate a clutch and necessary pieces and the shifter and necessary pieces.

would anybody be able to help me do this swap at some point? obviously i wouldnt be able to do it myself... im just a baby when it comes to internals.

sorry for being a noob, and annoying, and although i searched, i couldnt find what i need. although this has been asked probably 2598632t0645351 times before.

thanks

Re: another rookie getting interested.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:18 PM
ecotec, hands down.

original swap thread

ECOTEC swap HOW-TO

most motor swaps are stored in the 3rd gen forum
good luck

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:23 PM
to be 100% honist with you... it would be ALOT less headakes and alot more simple to buy a Jbody with either a 2.4L or a ECO with a 5spd an swap over any body parts you could or if you havent bought body parts yet hold off and get your self into a car with the engine/trany you want... they are SOO cheap (atleast around me) that it would just be much easier... And speaking of which in a few weeks i will have a Black 2000 Sunfire GT for sale with a 5sp body is in VERY good condition, same with the interior and it is already lowerd and full pace setter header and 2.5" header back exhaust... with 70,000kms (43,495miles) on the engine and a few new parts... not sure where you live but ill shoot up some pictures and let you see what i mean

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:15 PM
i would love a new car, but with school and all, i think i would rather have a few headaches and be able to do it gradually then trying to buy a whole new car. plus wheres the learning part involved... haha all my bodywork was done by myself, and the interior work. which isnt much, but its fun. plus at this rate, ill be able to get a new car as i get older, and make more money, so im in no hurry, i feel like i have to finish this project and iron out the kinks. then ill get around to buying a better cav or car, and be able to put more time, money and effort into making it perfect.

if i could afford it though, i really do like that sunfire. haha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search