Cat heat shield up or down? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cat heat shield up or down?
Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:52 PM
Probably a really dumb question, but I am in process of upgrading my exhaust, already have the Pacesetter coated header in, taking the car to the muffler shop Monday to have my Magnaflow 2.25" cat and resonator installed along with new pipe to my fartcan (going away in the spring for a Magnaflow baffled muffler). Does the Magnaflow cat heatshield face up toward the floorpan, or down toward the pavement? I don't want the muffler shop to put it in wrong, I'm sure the shop I am going to is worth their salt, but I'd like to know before I go in. Thanks.
Edit: I'm thinking the heatshield faces up, but I need to be certain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:52 PM

Re: Cat heat shield up or down?
Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:39 PM
it goes on top of the cat. the muffler shop should know that.

Listen F***ers. FASTERTHANAHONDA is a joke because I WORK FOR HONDA. I'll talk @!#$ about Fords to, that doesn't mean I can beat a 12 second mustang.
Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:49 PM
the heat shield SHOULD face the ground, problem is depending on the location of the 02 sensor hole there may be a problem with getting it to face the gorund.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:53 PM
btw I have the magnaflow, I installed it with the heat shield on the top because of the 02 sensor. on my car (04 eco) the 02 sensor comes along the drivers side of the exhaust, on the magnaflow with the heat shield facing the ground the 02 sensor hole is on the passenger side, so you either need to find a way to get the 02 sensor to that side, or just flip it over.... I just fliped it over.

drinkingoctane wrote:it goes on top of the cat. the muffler shop should know that.

and your an idiot

Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:21 PM
factory cat has a heat shield on top of the cat.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:24 PM
Every aftermarket cat that I have seen mounting instructions for said heat shield on top. Factory comes that way as well.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:03 PM
cars have heat shields for the body built into them, the heat shield on the cat is to keep the leaves/grass/bags/garbage and or anythign else that may make its way under the car keep from catching fire. Some cats (expensive) have heat shield on both sides.

heat shield on the bottom

(or top and bottom)

Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:10 PM
Am I missing something? Every aftermarket cat (whether magnaflow, Catco, etc) that I have seen has the heat shield wrapped completely around the catalyst (i.e. both sides are shielded).

If it is only one side though, the only logical place for the heat shield would be between the cat and the body of the car. The ground doesn't car how hot the piping is.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:13 PM
Quote:

This reaction only works at high temperatures, so catalytic converters tend to run very, very hot. Therefore, they require a heat shield to protect the bottom of the car and any flammable materials underneath on the road surface.

"How to repair cat heat shield" notice its either surounding the whole cat or on the bottom

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:11 AM
I don't remember if my magnaflow cat has one on just one side or both but I just installed mine so the O2 sensor went in from the top like the stock one did... because if I mounted it the other way... the sensor woulda stuck down way to far and would have gotton ripped off my something my now.

And yes there is a stock heatshield mounted to the car between the body and the cat..... thats what I wired my exaust too when my cat blew off my downpipe the night before I had it welded. (thats what I get for punching my car with just an exaust clamp holding it on their I quess)

Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:59 PM
i would think if the factory heat sheild was still in place, then it wouldnt really matter all that much. personally, if a leaf hasnt caught on fire on the cat by now, its not going to happen. logically, the heat sheiled is supposed to protect an object where you dont want excess, unwanted heat ( like inside the cabin of the car) from something that produces said heat (like the cat).

i really wouldnt think that anything would happen to your cat if you mounted the sheild on the top, but if your that worried, find a generic heat shield and mount one top and bottom.

1997 RedR - ZedR

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:41 PM
I personally don't think it really matters... but there is a "right" way, I didn't mount mine the right way and it doesn't bother me at all, but the question was asked

Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:42 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:factory cat has a heat shield on top of the cat.

mitdr774 wrote:Every aftermarket cat that I have seen mounting instructions for said heat shield on top. Factory comes that way as well.

I'm under factory cars all day being burnt by these damned things. they are all on top or completely wrapped around.

Darkstars wrote:cars have heat shields for the body built into them

these usualy run the length of the floor pan. the cat is the hottest part of the exhaust system; it needs extra sheilding. however the exhaust does hang low on J's so i would understand putting it upside down for pretection.

Listen F***ers. FASTERTHANAHONDA is a joke because I WORK FOR HONDA. I'll talk @!#$ about Fords to, that doesn't mean I can beat a 12 second mustang.
Monday, November 12, 2007 1:31 AM
-unless your cat is glowing red hot red, nothing will catch fire. i;ve had paper caught underneath when the heat sheild on my first magnaflow had lost the lower half due to bad spot welds. unless your cat is clogged and your car is pressed into a batch of leaves, grass,trash,etc isnt gonna burn or catch fire, especially while driving. if there is no heat sheild on top, the same articles can still physically get stuck. as it stands, when you hit any part of a trash bag on any exhaust part, most times it melts and sticks.

-factory cats on most j-bodies i;ve seen are large thick and roundish. the car has a heat sheild/tunnel already underneath.

-magnaflow, well it surrounds the whole converter.

basically install the converter to where the 02 sensor is pretty much in the same spot as stock.

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:27 PM
thanks for the replies folks. Got everything welded in today, they put the heat shield facing up, which positioned the O2 sensor on the driver side. They did a really good job welding it up, and after they finished, they sprayed hi-temp header paint on all the welds. I thought that was a nice touch. Sounds really good, no raspiness at all, even with the huge fartcan muffler I have on it. I will still replace that eventually before I lower the car though, the thing scrapes on steep driveways.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search