ordering exhaust parts soon, feedback on choices - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ordering exhaust parts soon, feedback on choices
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 5:14 PM
I've got a 2000 Cavalier, 2200 OHV engine, I may be ordering exhaust parts fairly soon for it. I am thinking of getting the coated Pacesetter header, the Magnaflow 94035 high-flow cat, the Magnaflow 10425 resonator, and getting 2 1/14" pipe custom bent at a local shop. I'm keeping the muffler I have now, its a Hayame type 2 3" inlet, 5" (i think ) outlet. I want to keep this muffler because it has a nice deep non-raspy sound to it. I also plan to replace both O2 sensors with NTK parts, I may go ahead and get a heated one for the downpipe sensor, as I don't want to deal with closed-loop problems. Is there anything I should know, like would it be a good idea to cut the slip-fit connector off the header downpipe to reduce restriction if any, so on and so forth. I'd ask what sorta power I might gain from this, but I know that its nearly impossible to guestimate with any accuracy. I personally figure I might see 5-8 HP max gains, maybe more, maybe less, and probably mostly at the upper RPM range. If anyone knows something different, please let me know. Thanks again.

Re: ordering exhaust parts soon, feedback on choices
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:16 PM
Some people will strongly disagree, some will agree, but I'd say if you're going to have a custom system bent, get 2 1/2" piping instead of 2 1/4". There are some with the opinion that 2 1/2" is too big but this just hasn't been proven by what we've really seen here (also, from my own experience with my ex's car, the 2 1/2" Megan Racing exhaust did nothing but add power, not a lot, but there was no loss of power in any range, that's for sure). The downpipe on the Pacesetter header is at least 2 1/2" (I think it may actually be 3" even), and the inlet to your muffler is 3", so if you go with all 2 1/2" components, you won't have any bottlenecks at all and it should be even more free flowing. Of course you'd need a 2 1/2" cat and resonator as well, but I would really suggest that route and not 2 1/4".
Re: ordering exhaust parts soon, feedback on choices
Thursday, September 06, 2007 2:41 PM
I was gonna say the same thing...2.5" downpipe to a 2.25" exhaust to a 3" muffler is a fair bit of turbulence. If anything, stick with 2.5" for your tubing and cat/resonator.

Also, Magnaflow converters were pricey, last I knew. Try the Dynomax Super Converter. I know Jegs sells it for around 52.99. NEVER had a problem with mine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search