2005 Sunfire upgrades - The next adventure - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 Sunfire upgrades - The next adventure
Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:56 AM
As the title says, I'm still driving the 2005 sunfire that I post for help with occationally. The current goal however is to start working on upgrading parts and performance and fixing up the look of the car. I'm working slowly as I'm trying to read every article and post possible on the forums and on the net so I don't screw over my engine and ultimately my investment (who wants to invest time and lose it all because you didn't read?). I would have done all this sooner, but with my fiance leaving me in Febuary to seek out what she wants in life, I finally have the money and time I need to get some work done (always a bright side ).

What I'm needing is help on organizing my upgrade list on parts. There are a few posts that have great part explanations, statistical breakdown of Ecotec engines and parts links to sites for purchase, however none of them really list an order in which things can be done optimally (ex. get sway bars and breaks before superchargers and Nos). So, what is the best order for an overall upgrade from your experience? Thusfar I've put in orders for a new CAI and brake rotors, and I'm considering an anti-sway kit, but I'm not really sure what order to uprade engine parts in (or a grouping, such as parts better upgraded at the same time while I've got the engine out).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Re: 2005 Sunfire upgrades - The next adventure
Sunday, June 03, 2007 2:25 AM
well you all ready got an intake so thats a good place to start, and also upgrading your brakes is a very smart thing to do (i still need to do that)

i would start with some engine mounts and then do a full exhaust.

after that Do your suspension and brakes, maybe some strut braces and sway bars

Then after that its really up to you.

i plan to get a gm supercharger after i finish that

Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:40 PM
Okay, today I had a hard start on my car, and since its been taking a bit longer to start (maybe two seconds of ignition use, wich isn't much but... its alot more than it use to be) I went and bought some new spark plugs (Platinum +4 plugs). After the intake comes in I'm going to follow this plan so far:

1. Header (4-2-1) / Catalytic converter / cat-back system
2. Motor mounts
3. Intake manifold

The info I'm finding on the intake manifold however is showing contradicting opinions on wether or not it is even worth it to buy a new one / port out your current one. From what I've seen, the stock manifold has a smaller intake diameter than the header, but some people are saying that isn't guaranteed to matter considering GM claims the stock manifold can support applications of up to 500hp (something I doubt I'll ever reach with this car). What do you think? Is it worth it to increase the diameter and match it?
Sunday, June 03, 2007 7:03 PM
early on it does not really help to buy a new intake mani really only makes a difference in boosted applacations.

so basically the money is better spent some were else.

Monday, June 04, 2007 11:03 AM
Well I looked in your registry and nothing was filled out. but assuming you have a base model sunfire, I would suggest working from the ground up......tires, suspension, braces, and sway bars. No sense in making more power if you cant get it all to the ground and around the turns....at least thats how I feel about modding my J.

I have a base 01 cav, and my mods in order were rims, cold air, strut tower bars, addco front and rear, then my nitrous kit and poly mounts,and Koni yellows and Tein S-tech springs. Now I'm slowly putting together my turbo kit and motor build, and once It's all assembled not only will I be able to haul ass in a straight line but I can take it into the turns as well.

But it all boils down to what you want to do and what makes you happy in the long run. Keep up up to date as far as what your doin and post up if you have any questions, myself and many others will be more than willing to help answer any questions you may have.

-Jeff

Monday, June 04, 2007 4:42 PM
Good point, I didn't know about that feature of the site yet despite being a lurker and member for a while (what? I never had anything good to add... so why post?). I have now updated the profile and such.

As for being "stock", the model is the 2005 Sunfire SC model. Everything in it is manual, including transmission door locks windows and mirrors. Which brings to question ... Does anyone in the forums happen to make kits that would convert an SC model to automatic locks? I'd like auto windows and such as well, but I'm tired of people forgetting to lock my damn doors!
Monday, June 04, 2007 7:49 PM
My wife's 2003 2.2 Ecotec has:
K&N drop in filter
2 1/4 turbo muffler
2 1/4 piping all the way to the down pipe
2 1/4 cat
2 1/2 resonator (bigger to make up for the inner baffling)

With just this alone, it has made a 'huge' difference in up and go.

To give you a jist:
A 3.8 Mustang with 190hp (not the older 146hp older model) lost not only on the low, but on the high end as well, but not much. The guy cussed me out and was pretty animate about losing.

So I have to say it is quicker than 7.7 seconds 0-60, but not much quicker.

If I put on a 4-2-1 header and 2 1/4 down pipe, plus a CAI this should make this car able to make a 0-60 in about 7.2 seconds. I feel that this is plenty enough up and go.

A hear the supercharger is nice, but it is expensive for only 50 more horses plus I hear you really need to upgrade the internals if you are going to romp on it much or you will start breaking $hit quickly.

These engines stock can safely run 200 hp, but it wont last nearly as long as a stock 140hp set-up. So upgrade the internals too if you like racing. (pricey)
Monday, June 04, 2007 8:05 PM
lol. the ecotec motor will handle up to 300hp on stock internals.

I want to share something with you - the three sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'cover for me', Number two, 'oh, good idea, boss', Number three, 'it was like that when I got here.'
Monday, June 04, 2007 8:06 PM
Well paul from how your describing your sunfire...I would say its a base modle...so you done even have a front sway bar. I would suggest getting one up front and in the back. Strut tower braces will also help tighten up the feel of the stock suspension a little better as well.

Post up in your regional forums and see what active members are in your area, as they might be willing to take you for a spin in their J and it will help you see how their j handles with what ever suspension mods they have installed. Hell you might even find a few willing to help you with install as well.

As for your desire to have power windows and locks, Hit up a junk yard and pull all the stuff out of another sunfire, or contact Jason at Aplusperformance.com he can hook you up with any autoloc product that you might want.

-jeff

Monday, June 04, 2007 8:17 PM
Yeah, I'll hit up Jason definitely, as the last time I installed a replacement window from a junk yard I had a wedge holding it up again two weeks later don't get me wrong, some junk yards have great stuff, but I don't have time usually to sift through the crap to find the jewel. It may be a bit more expensive, but I'll pay for a mans hard work no problem.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:06 PM
I am impressed that the Eco will handle 300hp with stock internals, but I do not believe the stock tranny or axles will hold up long.

I think it was here where someone said the automatic transmission on the Eco is from a V-6, and will take up to 250hp. But it will last considerably less time before giving up the ghost.

I think with all the bolt-ons I will be around 180hp, which will be plenty.
I wont be on Pinks though, lol!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:34 PM
On the upside, I run a manual transmission, so there should be less involved mechanically to break on the stock transmission over the automatic if that is true. If the transmission wears out and I have to replace it, I'll do it when I MUST do it, but I won't replace it on the off chance of an issue (thats a bit of money I want to allocateelsewhere). Thanks for the heads up though.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search