How To: Cheaply increase cold air TO your intake (NOT FORCED INDUCTION) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How To: Cheaply increase cold air TO your intake (NOT FORCED INDUCTION)
Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:38 PM
First time postings of a HOW TO guide, bear with me.

Basic tutorial on how to cheaply and effectively increase cold air TO the intake.
This tutorial DOES NOT instruct on forced induction.

Materials needed:

1x 12v DC brushless fan (.73Amps) (like this one, found at princess auto, for 3.99) (TEST IT [by connecting R/Y to 12v computer pwr and W/BK to GND] WHEN YOU GET HIME, BECAUSE IT IS PROBABLY SECOND-HAND)

1x rubber 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" reducer, found at canadian tire.
(sorry, only pic I have, is of it assembled.)

1x 5Ft washing machine hose (again, at canadian tire)

(OPTIONAL)

1x 1 1/2" to 1/1/4" poly coupling.
(again, at canadian tire)

Procedure:

STEP1
Take your DC Fan, strip and connect the red and yellow wires together, as well as the white and black
(this is so that the "remote relay" function is disabled, allowing you to hook it up to a switch) (Or you don't have to... if you want a switch/auto...either way.)

STEP2
Uning your "oh so strong" arm muscles, bend the 1 1/2 part of the connector, over the rectangular face.
(sorry, but this picture is pre-assembled by me, and I wasn't going to struggle again at this...lol...)

Now you have somthing that looks like this:

STEP3
Use epoxy glue on the outer edges of the tubing, to keep it from sliding off.
(I tried the hose clamp it came with, it doesn't work so well on rectangles... I also glued the inside before I assembled it, and am using vicegrips and string and tape to hold the shape [remove later])

LET DRY OVERNIGHT, you'll be glad you did.

In the meantime, run your tubing from your intake head, to wherever you wigh to mount the blower...use zap-straps to keep in in place, but don't install it yet...

Next day.

STEP4
Layout where you want your secondary air director( thats what I call it...very technical, eh?) to go, being careful of existing wires, and such.

STEP5
mount your Director, in the chosen place...usually behind the bumper... or fog light area (assuming you dont have fog lights)

(Don't you just LOVE my Ghetto paint skillz?)

STEP6
After fan is mounted, run your power wires to an inside switch (or you can connect it to any automatic 12v source that comes on with the car.)

Insert tubing into opening on blower coupling you installed and glued yesterday. Tighten hose clamp.

Run Hose to front of intake...or beside...or wherever you decidced to put it.

Wire your power to the Fan (Due to my lack of not having done this yet, I cannot tell you how, for the following reasons:
1-Havent dont it yet...
2-If you F it up, it will look bad on me. ***(IF somone wants to field this qiestion, go right ahead.)***
3- I'm not a licenced electrician.

And there you go, assuming all was said and done.

EST TIME: 2 Days (because of gluing and drying.)
EST COST: $25-$30

I WIll post better pictures later, Because I am making one for a friend's Nissan 240sx, SO GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

SO? HOW'D I DO?!?!?

Thrice . wrote:i think you should go back and try to actually order some cam valves. see if he has any in stock. then ask him to give you an actual price and show you the website or anything legit about where he orders from...for all you know he is this dumb, and orders things that don't exist....he's probably got 10 of those ebay transistors that gave him eleventy hundred pony power....what a douche.

Re: How To: Cheaply increase cold air TO your intake (NOT FORCED INDUCTION)
Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:40 PM
SO, any good? I'd like to make more how to guides, please..opinions!!!

Thank's ALL

Thrice . wrote:i think you should go back and try to actually order some cam valves. see if he has any in stock. then ask him to give you an actual price and show you the website or anything legit about where he orders from...for all you know he is this dumb, and orders things that don't exist....he's probably got 10 of those ebay transistors that gave him eleventy hundred pony power....what a douche.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:47 PM
Why do you need a fan? If you just route the filter to a cooler location, it will do the same thing. Seems pretty dumb to me.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:51 PM
Its not dumb its retarded. Thats going to restrict air if anything. You will most likely see a decrease in performance.
Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:52 PM
Duude.. Your going to get flamed. haha Nice write up, I just wish it weren't such a rice thing to do.

-Matt

-------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:56 PM
Just wait until the fan falls apart and gets sucked into the motor

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:56 PM
Those fans won't give you more than50-100 cu.ft. per minute with the 12volt, .72 milliamp rating while your engine can pull 300-400 cu.ft. per minute easily.
It won't work.
Like all above, it's a great write-up but a useless mod.
Nice idea but it fails miserably due to the lack of research.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:07 PM
verywell then, thanks,, thanks for the feedback from everyone anyway. ill take more time in research then.

I've heard it all now, if anyone else posts, its just stupid then.

i get it, bad idea, thanks anyway.

my idea was just a SUPPLIMENTAL air flow of COLD air, only because of the engine bay being hot, and the air sucked in, would not be cold, it was an idea and it sucked, but ill just give it to my buddy with the nissan240sx, it was his idea anyway (except there was no blower)

thanks again.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:20 PM
Yeah that fan is not going to do you any good with air flow, thats a fan for a computer. We have that same fan where i work at as well as larger ones and none and i mean none of those little fans will work. They don't blow no where new what they would have to you see a increase in power.
Saturday, May 26, 2007 7:22 PM
AJ wrote: ill just give it to my buddy with the nissan240sx, it was his idea anyway

There's your problem right there.. I soo called that one...

WhitePhatt wrote: Nice write up, I just wish it weren't such a rice thing to do.

I do look forward to more of your write-up's though. Quite through, with decent pics.

-Matt

-------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:16 PM
what if he had the two fans connected to the intake and then still ran the filter into the intake. Then it would bring cooler air in, but not restrict it since the aif flow would still be drawing in from the filter. Don't know if you would see much gains from it still. Maybe start experimenting with your leaf blower

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:17 PM
thanks for not bashing man!

Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:21 PM
you've pretty jmuch got it, Tim

I didnt do it to gaim massive horsepower,(or minimal horsepower...) i did it so that there would be a steady flow of COOL air, not into the pipe, but JUST BEFORE the intake cone.

and i realize that 50-150CFM is absolutely nothing and i should have done more research.

thanks to all who didn't call me an idiot, as this was my first attempt at somthing more than audio setup.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:42 PM
You should do more writeups, sole-ly I say this based on youre 1337 paint skillz and the fact that you took time to get all the details in, people fail to do this a lot.

nice work, even if its not a good idea.
Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:45 PM
For the record, i relocated the pictures in my album, thats why they aint working... i guell ill put them back until this thread is closed.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:12 PM
good write up...probably useless but what do i know?? your paint skillz own!
Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:51 PM
I see that you have posted a few threads about "cheaply done mods",,although there are a few
and your ideas show that your being inventive,things like this have been tried and been disproved right
away.If you want serious h.p. out of a j-body it's going to cost you in the end.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:26 AM
Those bilge blowers are weak, but supposedly the E-Ram electric supercharger has enough pressure to exceed intake velocity and give an actual gain.

The E-Ram is one of the most bashed bolt-ons out there.

The argument is, the unit may give you around 5 horses, but then it loses 1 horsepower from the electrical drain. So you get around 4 hp for a few hundred bucks which is not worth the gain.

The E-Ram is supposed to be 1 psi.

There is a Super E-ram set-up that is supposed to be 1.7 psi, which is basically two E-Rams inline.

The Super E-ram is around 8.5 horsepower gain, less the 1 hp drain from electrical.

For the price, it is too expensive 'if' the gains are real.

The E-Ram is just a more powerful bilge blower with a retarded fan design that does not promote the best output for the power it requires.
That is the general consensus...
Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:00 AM
ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER!!!!!! lol

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier "Its Far Away From a Stock Cavalier"
Monday, May 28, 2007 5:20 PM
dotcom02 wrote:ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER!!!!!! lol

LEAF BLOWER!!!!
Monday, May 28, 2007 7:09 PM
This "mod" wasnt to provide an increase in power such as what the electronic superchargers claim, but rather to assist the engine in drawing in fresh air by "pushing "the air toward the intake system. Its not all that bad of an idea if the blower motors can keep up with the demand of the engine.

Monday, May 28, 2007 7:27 PM
you could drill a couple holes through the wheel wells by the air filter area.... that could introduce some cooler air (from the wheel well) for the intake to suck up... rather than just hot air from the engine bay..................................................................................................................................................................................................... ..........?

Monday, May 28, 2007 9:17 PM
Just put a NACTA duct in your hood directly in front of your CAI filter, and sheild it off from the rest of the engine bay. (kinda like home-made ram air), kinda ricey but it works, and is the best way to provide cool air to the intake of a NA car. NACTA ducts are those V shaped ducts all over the hoods of Lemans and GT race cars.

Monday, May 28, 2007 10:57 PM
Loooking for a Cheap way to increase cold air to your motor.

How about Buying a Short Ram or CAI - you can usually find them on Ebay for less than $100 - including shipping.
Yes - some claim to give you about 10-18 hp, but most will give about 5 whp. Which isn't bad for less than 100 bucks.

Of course, if you also know how to PnP your TB or can get a 56 mm Quad 4 TB to add with your intake - you may see a 10 whp increase.

And since 56mm Quad 4 TB can be found at auto salvage yards for about 50 bucks. that means for around $100-150 you could get a 10 hp increase.

So your only paying about $10-15 per hp. Which is alot cheaper than the $30-50 per hp you would get for a GM S/C, or a good catback exhaust..
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:51 AM
Try a mircowave fan blower, plus they sound like a supercharger lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search