ACDelco iridium spark gap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ACDelco iridium spark gap
Thursday, March 08, 2007 1:08 AM
I just picked up four ACDelco iridium plugs part # 41-103 from the dealership. I didn't know they existed until the parts guy recommended them. I tried to price them at Lordco, but Lordco said ACDelco didn't make iridium...they must be new. It appears that GM has discontinued the old 41-981s, replacing them with iridium. My Haynes manual recommends a gap of 0.042 inches in the 41-981s for a 2.2L Ecotec. Is that still the right gap for the new 41-103s?
Also, does anyone have any impressions from running these iridium plugs?

Re: ACDelco iridium spark gap
Thursday, March 08, 2007 12:06 PM
do not gap the iridiums. i used to work at o'reilly's and the electrode is too fine to gap you will break it. Most of the ac delco plugs as well as all iridiums come pre-gapped from the company. you might get a batch or two that are wrong but generally they are right. i run the ngk iridiums in mine and i have gotten a lot of mileage out of them but as for performance if there was any it was negligable

Thursday, March 08, 2007 4:44 PM
Gap to 0.042 inches.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, March 09, 2007 8:09 AM
suit yourself. gap if you think its right but the manufacturer says not to and i think they might know best.

Friday, March 09, 2007 8:16 AM
DONT GAP THEM! THEY COME PRE-GAPPED! I put them in about two weeks ago, didnt notice much of a change but the car seems like it revs throught the rpm band smoother. Anyway when I bought them from a local AC Delco/Dephi dealer they said not to gap them that they come pre-gapped, so I put them in and they run fine.

Friday, March 09, 2007 9:27 AM
irishbred . wrote:suit yourself. gap if you think its right but the manufacturer says not to and I think they might know best.

Really?

With that said.
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Gap to 0.042 inches.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, March 09, 2007 2:32 PM
irishbred . wrote:suit yourself. gap if you think its right but the manufacturer says not to and i think they might know best.

I just bought these plugs and installed mine last night, if you say dont gap them, then tell me why i would want to put in one that was gapped at .052, the next at .042, next at .034 and the last at .038. you tell me how that car would run... i can tell you how... VERY bad. i gapped them all at .042. and checked them twice to be sure. no matter what they say about being pre gapped. i check them myself.

Friday, March 09, 2007 10:52 PM
I thought that you werent supposed to gap Iridium plug too... But after some research heres what I found...

AC Delco Iridiums

AC Delco recommends that you gap them as specified. As stated by Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. and Vincent Morris.

Its all based on what Iridium plugs you bought.
I have Densos and their site say not to gap them. Their plugs are all pregapped (the same for each box) for certain cars- to certain specs.

hope this clears some confusion here.

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Friday, March 09, 2007 10:54 PM
sorry heres that site

AC Delco Gap

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:30 AM
OK, Mr GW, im not questioning you but then why would the dealer I bought them from specifically tell me that I should not gap them? The made it clear to me before I left that they should not be gapped? Again im not questioning you, more so questioning them....

Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:30 AM
Because the dealer doesnt care about your car. if something happens to it from running like crap, then you bring it to them. thats what they expect. and look at what all mine were gapped at. i dont trust anyone that says something like this because i cant trust them to make sure everything is going to work on my car. mine had a huge difference and it would have really affected my car big time. and you never know what happens to a plug while its getting shipped or handled. say you bump it on something putting it in, do you throw it away and buy another? nah id regap it. ask them why they say not to gap them. and if they say because they come pre gapped. ask them why you cant gap iridum plugs.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:56 AM
Are these plugs only for the ECO?

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:48 PM
Ehh i used the word dealer in the wrong tense, i apologize. When i said dealer i meant an AC Delco/Dephi dealer, like parts dealer. Ill go back to them and ask them why they say taht. thanks for the heads up

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:05 AM
like i said they are supposed to come pre gapped. getting some that are off arent out of the question, but the only reason they told us to let people know not to gap them is because the electrode is so fine that it is likely to break. putting the gapper to them period is likely to break them. if they didnt care about our cars why would they say anything? if gapping them breaks the electrodes then i would expect them to keep silent so that you end up buying more plugs.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search