ported and polish question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ported and polish question
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:11 PM
I got a 04 cavi with 2.2 supercharge , cams ,fuel injectors and allot others mods but my question is
Am paying 500.00 to ported polish and adjust valves ? is it worth it and if somebody else has done this and what kind of power should i expect from it
THANK YOU

Re: ported and polish question
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:52 PM
port and polish shouldnt cost more than 100-200$

50 if you DIY like i did. thats just for parts.

and "adjust valves"

you mean cut the seats? if not how exactly are they gonna "adjust the valves"

power gains is FAR subjective. its like you asking if i jump when the wind blows, how far to the right or left will the wind move me?

the amount of material removed, the amount of work done to the head, and usually the rest of the block will determine that.

its not like you can say, i am gonna add this or do that, it will gain X amount of power.

if you are serious about finding out, dyno before and after. anything else will be asking for alot of BS unreal answers.

most times port and polishes add nothing more than efficiency.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 10:16 PM
with the supercharger it'll help get the extra air into the cylinders however for the best match the runners in the head should correspond with the cams you got for max power/flowing ability because it'll increase the velocity of the incoming air. The p&p probably won't be noticed that much at low end but it'll be seen/ maybe felt at the higher end of your powerband. when doing this a good valve job 3 or 5 angle should also be done. IMO i don't think someone should tell someone that it shouldn't cost more than $xxx because people in different areas will charge different and the better the work chances are the more it'll cost. i have seen $2000 port and polish hack jobs (for sbc) and jobs from a different guy doing way better work may cost 4000 dollars. so 500 for a good job really isn't all that much.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:39 AM
da fake z24 wrote:IMO i don't think someone should tell someone that it shouldn't cost more than $xxx because people in different areas will charge different and the better the work chances are the more it'll cost. i have seen $2000 port and polish hack jobs (for sbc) and jobs from a different guy doing way better work may cost 4000 dollars. so 500 for a good job really isn't all that much.

2000$ or 4000$ for a 4 cylinder engine? if so, then you severely overpaid.

if one takes their time and checks around at prices that FOR THIS SPECIFIC APPLICATION aka a 4 cylinder car referred to as a j-body.

you shouldnt be paying NEARLY 1000$ for a port and polish. theres really not that much material to start with on the head of ANY 4 cylinder. the intake manifold cant be ported really, and the exhaust manifold, well headers are a start.

i agree different areas charge different, but however there are common sense limitations to things....

this isnt a v6, a small block, etc. so comparison of prices to one is pretty much pointless.

take a look at the majority of the companies and what they charge, then start looking around at local shops pricing.

more times that nought the local shops charge WAY less than companies like JBP, Mantapart, Patriot, etc...

so yes, prices should be lower. that is if one takes their time to do their homework and shop around. kinda like oil changes. work thats subject to being bad or good, but no one should be paying 100$ for an oil change on a 4 cylinder car. a ferrari or maybe a koeneggsigg? sure.

but on a car made for this site? shouldnt really be much more than 20$.

shop around. i'm going by prices people have already admitted to paying on here. not prices for cars with different engines

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:47 AM
go to patriots website ... get there head for 1500? or so. you get a bran new head, AND new valves ... to me thats the better deal!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search