i need a guestamate! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
i need a guestamate!
Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:49 PM
Ok dont think this is a i want to add this and this to the engine ane then see how much it has as hp.

i want a set hp of 150-200 at the wheels NA

One is this goal reachable with a 1999 2200 engine? im willing to pay what ever it takes to get it as well!

i will naem the basics as to what i know is in the einge ... (i haven't ripped it all about so i might miss some stuff)... that i plan on getting but again idk if this goal is even reachable! Also some time in this all i will be switching to a manual tranny, i will have a lightened flywheel, and a stage two clutch ready to install when i get the tranny and all that good stuff... also plan on investing in the HPTuners software to tune for the cams and such.

Well first of all im getting a body kit so im going to have to move the exhaust to acomidate to the cut up in the rear bumper ... i guess its screaming to me saying put a performance header, high flow cat, 2.25 inch tubing all the way back with a resinator and the highflow magnaflow muffler.
once all thats done, im planing on getting a pnp head from patriate racing and slowly getting the valve train such as the HD springs, new cam, 1mm oversized valves, new push rods, shave it down a .010 ?? i think thats what the measure ment was i read, a thinner gasket, new rockers, the spring/valve retainers i need help on im not familiar with them... Then i will install them all on the head and install the head and basicly throw the old one away!

Next will be the bottom end seeing as how by the time i get to that i might be 18 or so (2 years form now) i will rebuild the most of it ... new rods, and 10.5:1 compression pistons. new bearings and pistons rings.

other then that stuff i will be getting engein mounts, have a cold air intake and might be fabing up a ram air set up once i get the body kit installed!

With this stuff how much do you think i would be pushing? i dont want any mroe then 200 ... just because this will be my dd for a while so i dont really want to deal with the stuff during the winter. I know i will get flamed about we cant tell you the amount but honestly all i want to know if if it is possible to hit 200 hp with all these mods with all the propper tunning for the cams, injectors, and spark.

A couple questions i have that i hope i can get cleared out...

For the valve train ... i know i need to replace the old spring retainers ... what do i need for them? ive seen some that are like a plate but then ive seen soem that are different from them... do i need both?

Is It possible to reach 200 hp with a manual ... with those parts in/on it with out nitrous/turbocharger/supercharger?

what is the highest dyno sheet showing a 2200 engines hp?

When i do the bottom end rebuild ... do i need to worry about replaceing the crankshaft with a fordged crank or will that one last me a long time with the miles that are on it? (107K and climing)

thanks for the help if there is any! if i can only get a answer for the questions on the lower part of the page that will be great! give any info you guys have!

Re: i need a guestamate!
Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:56 PM
Hey man, I am setting up to do the same thing on mine. As a matter of fact I have the same car minus auto tranny. I have been researching the issue with mantaparts, and a couple of other facts. Where I am at there aren't a whole lot of j-body enthusiasts, so I am having to kinda guess it out. I am looking for a boosted application. Although the numbers I am looking to hit are a little higher than yours. I am may be forced to do the engine swap up to the 2.4 for the stronger bottom end. Let me know if you come up with any good sources and I'll do the same for you.
Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:36 PM
well idk if you looked at this site ... www.jbodyperformance.com but they have a crap load of stuff! im getting a bunch of parts from there other then the valves... and the bearings and the CNC PNP head. ill find those other sites to get for ya! but thats a good one in my opinion i dont know about the hole trust worthy part tho ...

Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:48 PM
jbodyperformance are way too high in their prices....
ask Karo for your parts i'm pretty sure he will help you out, he did for me big time!!!
as for your question.... i dunno, i have a 2.4. But i think those number are possible with lot of money...

Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:57 PM
im kind of hopping one of the ohv guys would come in and help out here! lets only wait ...

Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:09 PM
Well there's a couple of threads that have been going lately that have gotten pretty in-depth into the topic of N/A OHV building. First off, with the mods you're planning and some tuning, I can say pretty confidently that you'll have no problems hitting at least 150 whp. Several people have made that much or more with N/A builds on the OHV, and I believe most of them have had the auto tranny even. As for hitting 200 whp, I don't know if that's gonna happen, but it might - with HP Tuners now being available for tuning, better tuning might get it close.

I don't know if there's a dyno sheet floating around from his car, but a member with the name Scrufdog (not sure if that's exactly how it was spelled or not...) had gotten to 170 whp at least with a setup along these lines.

Here's at least 3 recent threads that have gotten into discussion of N/A building with the OHV - the one I started actually talks more about tuning - with how rich the A/F is at WOT on a 2002 2200 OHV, my belief is that simple bolt ons (intake and full exhaust, including HFC) and a good tune, probably with HP Tuners, will allow someone to reach 100 whp...in an auto. For a manual that number would probably be at least 10 whp higher. It's also speculated in another thread that the P&P'd head and a cam should be able to add 25 hp. Further gains will be had from the rockers, higher compression, etc. - and some mods will allow you to get more out of others.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=356116&t=356116

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=355751&t=355751

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=356342&t=356342

Hopefully for you, OHV notec and Scarab, among others, will see your thread and help point you in some other good directions. But most of the info honestly you can find just by reading, reading, and more reading - a lot of the groundwork has already been laid, but few people have gone down the path of fully building the OHV for N/A - most just give up and take the easy way out through either boost or a swap I see no reason though that such a build shouldn't be successful. And for a car that puts out 80-90 whp stock, I think 180-200 whp (which is my reasonable estimate of a build like we're talking) is damn nice...it would suprise the HELL out of a lot of drivers on the road.
Friday, May 26, 2006 7:57 AM
There are quite afew S10's with the 2200 that are putting down over 150whp. They use full bolt-ons, ported head and intake manifold, higher comp pistons, 2.4L stroker crank, a wild cam, and HP Tuners or a stand alone to tune it. There is one that is putting down 214whp on S10s.org (I belive is the site.)

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:37 AM
sure its possible.......turbo, nitrous, all the internals built, bolt ons........

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:38 PM
or swap an ecotec, mega squirt, small turbo setup, cheaper and reach your goal reliably

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:59 PM
thanks marcus! i like the line about the stock hp and then serprice the hell out of poeple that its driving on the road ... This is my point exactly!! come on how many people would go race a person on the street if they were the BOV ... or the supercharger spooling? i shure as hell wouldn't unless you have better or close to better then they do! all this stuff will just make my car sound stock ... i will still be able to hook up.... and it wont scare people away! (im not for street racing to a point but im not against it as well ...depends on the condistions!)

ge_forcez22 ... not an option! i know every one wil say throw in an ecotec and you can get 500 hp... i would LOVE to do that but i dont have money for that and by the time i build up the engine and all that ... i could just go buy a turbo charger set up for my car... or build my own for the same price as it would for me to get a crate s/c ecotec... its just not an option for me and if i can get the 150-200 hp from my engine i have now why swap it out?

jwagg ... not to be a dick or anything and sorry if i seem like it ... but i want to go NA and if i do choose to go turboed ... all i will need to do if get the cam reground for it ... and get lower compression pistons.

thanks every one!

Friday, May 26, 2006 7:50 PM
also i was just wondering if any one knows of any higher performance spark plugs out there for the 2200 engine?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search