Good head for 2.4l...input needed. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Good head for 2.4l...input needed.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:23 PM
Hey guys,
well, i want to get my head done, and was thinking of doing it myself but has anybody had a good experience/dyno numbers from buying a companies p&p'ed head. I wasn't planning on upgrading the springs, or valves, but maybe i should to the valuves.

Input and companies names are appreciated!

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft

Re: Good head for 2.4l...input needed.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:33 PM
checkout J Body Performance
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:55 PM
Nate, either DIY... or get a spare head and send it to Colin. Or maybe someday I'll actually find the time to port this extra headI have. I'd trust any of those over JBP

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:13 PM
well John, I need a head for my 2.4 too. get on the ball man.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:06 AM
I have a spare head if anyone wants it in my basement, missing three valves but has been cleaned and decked I believe, 110$ shipped.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:46 PM
John,
I pmed you thru bcj. I'd like to do it myself..but we'll see.

Nate

Friday, May 26, 2006 5:37 AM
jbodyperformance.
Friday, May 26, 2006 10:55 AM
John Lenko wrote:Nate, either DIY... or get a spare head and send it to Colin. Or maybe someday I'll actually find the time to port this extra headI have. I'd trust any of those over JBP

And why do you state that, John?

Do you have a mill and a two professional machinists and engineers porting your head with your DIY method, or is it just a guy with some grinder bits and no clue behind the math involved?

Do you have a flow bench?

I respect you a lot, in 6 years of posting that's the first time I've seen you make a bold statement like that with nothing to back it up... especially when I've stood in the facility and seen the heads that come in and go out of the place.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, May 26, 2006 11:21 AM
Nothing to do with the quality of the work. In fact, I'm one of the few that will also stand by Mantapart's work and parts available.

But as I'm sure you and many others have read on JBO lately... including myself... actually getting the parts from JBP (or Mantapart as usual) in a timely manner seems to be an issue.

Friday, May 26, 2006 11:29 AM
John Lenko wrote:or get a spare head and send it to Colin.

I'll 2nd that.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Friday, May 26, 2006 1:35 PM
I've seen some of colins work, and it is amazing, he really knows his stuff.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, May 26, 2006 7:14 PM
Henry Mac wrote:jbodyperformance.

$1500 US or or 3500 for a bolt on one.

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:51 PM
Ian Brydon wrote:
John Lenko wrote:or get a spare head and send it to Colin.

I'll 2nd that.

I'll do what ever comes after 2nding

My spare head might just have to head over to Colin some day.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:00 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:
John Lenko wrote:Nate, either DIY... or get a spare head and send it to Colin. Or maybe someday I'll actually find the time to port this extra headI have. I'd trust any of those over JBP

And why do you state that, John?

Do you have a mill and a two professional machinists and engineers porting your head with your DIY method, or is it just a guy with some grinder bits and no clue behind the math involved?

Do you have a flow bench?

I respect you a lot, in 6 years of posting that's the first time I've seen you make a bold statement like that with nothing to back it up... especially when I've stood in the facility and seen the heads that come in and go out of the place.

-Chris-[/quote

Show me 1 car running JBP parts that is running consistantly notable times, then maybe your opinion counts more than John's.

Summer is in 22days, are you 22days from 500whp????

sig not found
Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:57 PM
Well I just happen to have a JBP built head,Time was not an issue cause I gave them the winter to complete it,and I had it back by April it cost me $2100 cnd. I got P&P and had the valve train built i got to tell you I love this car with the built head and then I add the charger and its very "Quick" hopefully track time this weekend.

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock!!!!!
Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:15 PM
$2100? EGAD!! Is it gold plated? Does it suck you off while you drive?

I think mine cost me $700 to do. 1mm oversize SS swirl polished sodium filled valves (thanks Karo!), ported intake and exhaust, cleaned, pressure tested, new seals, 5-way valve grind, etc... took me a week to do, and 8 hours of my own time.

Friday, June 16, 2006 8:55 AM
woot! A head that gives head.........

I traded a 2.3 086 head for a mildly ported 2.4 head (work done by CS-Performance) Now I cant say for sure how much the head cost (Ben aka Crash had it done for his engine) but it was well worth the trade

My next head will be more aggressive w/ 1mm over sized valves........... I've got the head...... need to order valves....... then secure a machinist

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:40 AM
he said cnd
Friday, June 16, 2006 2:34 PM
Yeah, well I'm in Canada too... my $700 was Canadian.

With me doing the work... I could do three heads for the price he paid for one.... the workmanship better be worth that cost... I'd love to see some flow #'s on it... although I don't have any on mine to compare, I know it flows a lot more than stock.... I opened up the exhaust holes a whole lot...!

Friday, June 16, 2006 6:29 PM
John Lenko wrote:I'm one of the few that will also stand by Mantapart's work and parts available.
I was with you until recently, when I found out they were reselling LS1 springs for the OHVs. They were making $80+ per set (400% profit) by selling springs that were actually WORSE than stock (couldn't handle near the lift of stock springs). If I would've put that head on my car I would have wiped off all my cam lobes just trying to start it, bent all the pushrods, and probably failed the lifters.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search