HO intake manifold adapter question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HO intake manifold adapter question
Monday, March 27, 2006 10:22 AM
Do I need an intake manifold gasket if I'm installing the HO intake manifold on my 2.4 with the adapter plate? Or does the adapter plate act as a gasket? Thanks.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"

Re: HO intake manifold adapter question
Monday, March 27, 2006 10:51 AM
I didn't use one, but I would certainly recommend it, I'll be putting one on mine as soon as I can get a decent one made, I seem to screw up every try I do.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 27, 2006 11:04 AM
Would you put one between the plate and engine manifold or between the plate and the HO manifold? Or both?

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Monday, March 27, 2006 11:06 AM
^^ You actually need 2 gaskets.. One between the head and spacer, the other between the spacer and manifold..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, March 27, 2006 2:15 PM
So should I get the gaskets designed for the 2.3 or the 2.4?

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Monday, March 27, 2006 2:25 PM
You have to use the 2.3 one on both sides, the 2.4 one is a thick plastic gasket that you really can't modify.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 27, 2006 2:33 PM
Shifted wrote:You have to use the 2.3 one on both sides, the 2.4 one is a thick plastic gasket that you really can't modify.

Exactly.

Make sure you have a good set of wire cutters for that gasket.. Geez that thing is hard to cut lol.

306 TQ
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:50 PM
I just have one ? to ask to these adapter from chris fontana do not line up with the ports properly and are to low on the port. and you can no tell me that a sharp edge like that is not restricting air flow i almost think that the stock mani would flow better with a bigger t/b seeing that the ports do not line up

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:09 AM
pictures man. I wanna see how this is restricting airflow. I have yet to have a problem with any of his products. you're the first I've ever heard a complaint from.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:00 AM
why not talk to brian (spdracerz)..he has a 2.3/2.4 adapter gasket/flange..one side is the 2.3 the other side is the 2.4...
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:20 AM
here are the pictures on put file just fallow the link and no i dont want to buy another flange from somone else cuz i just spend 45 on this one http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/15010495256.jpg&s=f5 just copy the link then paste it in your browser
thanks
paul

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:41 AM
Wow, that is off.......

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:21 AM
whoa.. thats weird.. Mine isnt off like that..

306 TQ
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:08 PM
that is waaay off.

You need to show chris or something. I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

even mine was a little off, but wow. that is waaay off.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:29 PM
thanks i just emailed chris with the picture so hopefully he can help out thanks

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:47 PM
That's the 2nd one like that I've seen, hopefully he's able to help you out somehow.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:56 PM
This IS CHRIS FONTANA POSTING FROM MY GFS ACCOUNT

Paul Tjepkes wrote:here are the pictures on put file just fallow the link and no i dont want to buy another flange from somone else cuz i just spend 45 on this one http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/15010495256.jpg&s=f5 just copy the link then paste it in your browser
thanks
paul

I did not directly sell this one to him, it is the older phase one that came out a year ago. Everyone knew of the flaw thats why it was so innexpensive. Please refer to my other post and stop trying to scare people away with my product. Like I have said before in other posts and emails that was the first flange. Everyone has to realize that was the first flange, it works fine the bottom was only cut as a 2.4, the machinest did not realize the differnec in the bottom trasition. It has since been revised and perfected.

Also it does flow much better, on an engine like these it works fine. The stock 2.4 intake is restrictive as hell, the HO mani, or even the LO mani is better. With my flange (Even the first One) greatly made the port match better. If you were to port match without my flange you would get the same problem even worse however because without welding the top would hit also. Also you have to remember the main problem with the quad manis is the heat transfer, my flange is made of high grade phenolic, little or no heat transfer.

As for the other question, yes you need two gaskets, one modified for the 2.4 side the other just needs to be slotted to match the holes on the 2.3 side.

the PHASE 1 flange works just fine, Inari has had it on his car for 1,000s of miles and has never had a complaint. I have 30 people total with this flange and everyone is working well. Lastly it has since been perfected so please done take these posts against me.

Thanks
Chris
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:35 PM
just use the 2.3 gasket on one side and rtv works good enough for the flange to head gasket no problems here

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
sorry i was not trying to scare people away from your product
as for the problem i am just adding high heat apoxy to the bottom to bring it up and iam porting the side of the flange to meet with the head so it will work now that iam modding it to fit but please dont think iam trying to scare you way from Chris's products iam sure they has far improved sense this one was made last year

thank you
Paul Tjepkes

Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:41 PM
I've used the gasket paper from AdvanceAuro to make my own gaskets....... alot easier then trying to modify the 2.3 gasket for the head-adapter side..... I think its around $5......

Lay the paper out, trace the adapter (2.4 side) on the paper, use some sizzors and cut it out. You can use RTV if you want. When I used to use the Aluminum adapters I would RTV the adapter to the head (no gasket), and after it cured I would use the 2.3 gasket for the adapter-manifold side.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:09 PM
Ok, I'm gonna go to Advance Auto in three states tomorrow.
Hopefully I find something somewhere between DE, MD, and PA.
Where about in the store is it?
ilse or behind the counter?

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:23 PM
I know for a fact at Advanced Auto the 2.3 gaskets are $4.73, prices on them went down. So just FYI, they used to be $11.88, lol. Also Synchromesh tranny fluid went down to $4.87, I remember when it was like 20$. Glad to see prices go down, means they are clearing out.

Thanks
Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:52 PM
The gasket paper is in an isle...... cant remember for sure what one though...... there are a few different thicknesses, and meterials..... I went with the thinnest paper, its dark gray..... there is also cork.

You can prolly make 6 gaskets out of the roll, plus a few T/B gaskets (So far I've made 3 intake and 2 t/b gaskets out of my roll)

Friday, June 02, 2006 4:29 AM
Will look for it.
Thanks,
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, June 02, 2006 9:23 AM
Got my (and Tom's) flange today, thank you Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search