Air intake q's - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air intake q's
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:23 AM
So i got a few quesstions about air intakes and was wondering if someone could help me out

1) i have a 2005 pontiac sunfire with the 2.2L ecotec. will an air intake match up exactly as for a 2door?

2) What the hell is the difference between cold air intakes, warm air intakes, and so on and so forth?

3) I've been looking around and lowest priceses ive found are about $239. anyone know of anywhere i can get one any cheaper?

4) my final question is will it screw up my onboard computer? a guy that the dealership said it will, but a guy at my work said jus to leave the cars battery unpluged for about ten minutes to let the computer to reset.

Re: Air intake q's
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:33 AM
1. Yes, it will fit.

2. cold air intakes usually are routed further down and toward the front of the vehicle to get the coolest outside air into the intake manifold. warm air intakes are usually shorter, and rest right in the engine bay. most everything I've read one them, there's no noticeable difference between the two. be leary of cold air intakes. they do sit low enough to ingest water, which is bad.

3. check http://www.carcustoms.net and http://www.aplusperformance.com. you might even find some different, but decent ones on ebay. AEM and Injen are two well known brands.

4. no, it will not screw up your computer. you don't need to unplug the battery if you don't want to. you can pull the PCM fuse, or just give the car a day or so to "re-learn" during driving.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:38 AM
Regarding #4, if you take out any sensors / hoses / whatever while removing the old airbox, make sure you put them back on correctly with your new intake. A misplaced or forgotten sensor won't accurately give your computer the info it needs. I've never personally seen just an intake cause computer trouble or even activate the Check Engine Light, so you'll be fine. Just take your time and ask for help if you need to.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:41 AM
good lord...your gonna wish u never made this post haha, ok enough of being a d*^% like everyone else...heres were we can start

1) there is a sticky at the top of this forum, you should read it, it will answer aaaa lot of your questions about various topics like intakes!

2) for the 2 door comment...its engine that matters 2 or 4 door dont matter, just make sure its for 2.2 Eco not the OLD 2.2 OHV..make sense?

3) Cold air intakes are longer tubes that sit in the drivers side fender...it gets "cooler" air cause its not as close to the engine compartment....
Warm air intakes will be less restrictive then ur stock system but suck in air from the engine compartment, they are much shorter then CAI too.
If you drive in a place like freakin seattle!? then get a WAI, cause water +engines = boom
Is there much diffrence in HP, well thats debatable, i think there is but not in every sense...at a drap strip i think its even...but when driving on real roads like a highway etc i feel as if CAI's are better (i have had both on my car)
WAI becasues of there shorter tubes will give you a better throttle response...aka you car will feel like it has more tourqe....test if for urself, slap a cone fiter on the end of
the "black box" on ur Ecotec...(we did this for my bros car)....We could chirp like every gear, but u will lose on the top end side....

4) Price eh..hmm dunno $200+ is what it is gonna cost...unless you make a custom one with random parts...i have a 2.4 ld9...so i cant help ya here

5). NO it wont throw a code or well it shouldnt assuming u didnt break ur IAT sensor....unplug the batter for and hour or so...or while ur dong the install....that will reset the computer so it can learn your NEW a/f ratio...because the intake increase airflow obviously..

Ok goodluck and trust me its a great item to have even if it is just for the sound! a good company is AEM...u can findem on Ebay!

Peace,
JZ
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:55 AM
awesome, thanx everyone
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:59 AM
make this a sticky

my copay and paste finger is geeting tired

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:12 AM
jz wrote:good lord...your gonna wish u never made this post haha, ok enough of being a d*^% like everyone else...
Alrighty, well I don't recall anyone in this thread being a "d*ck" so far. Who exactly would you be referring to?

jz wrote:slap a cone fiter on the end of the "black box" on ur Ecotec...(we did this for my bros car)....We could chirp like every gear
Your bro must not have an Ecotec if you could "chirp like every gear", or it was insanely modified to the point he shouldn't have had the "black box" or any of it's original piping in there anymore in the first place. Sounds like a case of either insanely bald tires on a wet road, or just total .

jz wrote:Price eh..hmm dunno $200+ is what it is gonna cost...unless you make a custom one with random parts...
Try again...

RKSport High-Flow Cool-Air Intake System Cavalier/Sunfire 1996-05
$148.97 - sportcompactonly.com

Weapon-R Dragon Air Intake System
$149.99 - gravanatuning.com

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:19 AM
The first intake I bought was a Weapon R. It turned out to be one for a Prelude. I returned it and bought my AEM.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:28 PM
LD9 Fury

i thought i would have been to the first reply...so i just assumed the worst becuase i knwo how people on this site can be....as i was writing that repy others had beaten me to the punch....it comes off as me calling them DIRECTLY "d*cks" when in reality i was talking in generality.

2) Your right it was an exaggeration although we chirped 2nd and third...my apologies..didnt meant to misinform...just trying to emphasize the power of throttle response...i told him to to test it too so he would know whats fact/fiction

3) i custom built my intake (CAI)....so i wasnt positive about price and i have an LD9...so sorry didnt realize they were 150 ish...my bro has a weapon and i thinkg its a piece of crap...id spend the 200 on AEM....but thats me....

peace
JZ
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:39 PM
jz wrote:LD9 Fury

i thought i would have been to the first reply...so i just assumed the worst becuase i knwo how people on this site can be....as i was writing that repy others had beaten me to the punch....it comes off as me calling them DIRECTLY "d*cks" when in reality i was talking in generality.

2) Your right it was an exaggeration although we chirped 2nd and third...my apologies..didnt meant to misinform...just trying to emphasize the power of throttle response...i told him to to test it too so he would know whats fact/fiction

3) i custom built my intake (CAI)....so i wasnt positive about price and i have an LD9...so sorry didnt realize they were 150 ish...my bro has a weapon and i thinkg its a piece of crap...id spend the 200 on AEM....but thats me....

peace
JZ
Thanks for the clarifications. I was like "who the f**k does this guy think he is?!" LOL I get it now.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:45 PM
eh... I try not to be a d*%k.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search