How much can a Stock Tranny take ? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How much can a Stock Tranny take ?
Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:46 AM
how many horses can a Stock auto 2.4 transmission take ? what upgrades are available? links?

Re: How much can a Stock Tranny take ?
Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:04 AM
The 4T40E in good condition can handle plenty of power...more than you'll probably put down. You can always get a Torque Converter upgrade but that's about it... Everything would probably have to be made custom by specs and it's a bit expensive.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:23 PM
I myself have been wondering if the 4t40 can be fortified with 4t45 internals, extra clutches ect.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this nor have I sen anyone ask it but it sounds like a good idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't actually read your posts
I stare them down until they give me the information I require
Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:47 PM
ok then so 400hp would be no problem right. thanks
Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:08 PM
Juan Morales wrote:ok then so 400hp would be no problem right. thanks

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:43 PM
^^^
I was thinking something along those lines myself.
Juan, I'm going to be entirely honest with you. Hundreds of people come on here every month saying they're going to build a 400hp J. But, as it stands, only two people on this site (that I know of at least) have put down more than 400hp on a 4cyl J, and one was a company car. Personally, I'm almost three years into my build, and still have a long way to go, and I'm only shooting for 350.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:37 PM
well i guess we will just have to see ..... my dad started helping me so now i have Unlimited funding.. so i guess is just a matter of time. this is my project car so it really doesnt matter. i know is never going to compare to our 306 but i wouldnt mind having a "fast" cavy you dont see them very often and i like how they look.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:39 PM
don't we all wish we had unlimited funding

I don't actually read your posts
I stare them down until they give me the information I require
Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:47 PM
NUTCASE . wrote:don't we all wish we had unlimited funding

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:04 PM
Tell me about it. My dad emptied my savings account, far from helping.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:07 PM
Meanwhile... the rest of us have to blow our entire paycheck just to have enough food to not be rushed to the hosptial for malnourishment... Jesus...

I can't remember one point in my entire lifetime where I had an unlimited pool of funds from parents or anyone else... they were telling me to get a job since before it was even LEGAL for me to get a job, even though they had more money laying around than they knew what to do with...

LOL OK that's enough reminiscing for now That tranny should hold up fine for quite a long time as long as you don't abuse it or be stupid with it by "Sport Shifting" through the gears (chances are, most folks are slower and less accurate at shifting an auto. themselves than the tranny is by itself anyway)

Monday, February 06, 2006 6:29 PM
Alright Thanks thats all i needed to know. i purchased a oil transmmission cooler from Summit.. says its supposed to lower temps up to 70 f ... but hey thanks
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:40 PM

that's what sponsors are for

Some times the best way to get that tailgater off your but is to light a fart.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:04 PM
save your money up i really dont think thats "cool" when people say they have unlimited funding because of mommy and daddy...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:42 PM
The stock tranny is go to 200 to 250 depends on use. At around 300 you'll be able to throw it just flooring it. For 400 You'll have to switch to something else. If you really think you can get 400 out of your eco, you'll want something like a 4T80, and it would take a lot of fabbing to get that tranny in there. Be easier to just switch to a stick.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:16 PM
after my rebuild i hope this tranny can hold more than 200-250 since ill be around 230-250 ish to the wheels, im installing a oil cooler and putting new synthetic fluid in it for this season so that should help some and no im not putting a shift kit on it, heard too many horror stories.

littlejohn1
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:49 PM
^^^^^^^ i typed that on my fathers SN, i always forget when im on his computer to log onto mine.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:11 PM
well hurmmmmm some say ill hold and now it wont ? ?? ? ? ?how much does the 5 speed take ?
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:10 PM
theres and artical in import racer, about the ecotech and its trans..... with the extra power they used a 4T65-E thats in the grand prix,chevy lumina van,buick rivera. the only thing is you need an adapter plate to get it to mount up. its the february 2006 edition

If it doesnt break then you didnt drive it hard enough!

I drive an automatic, I'll race you... 1 hand and 1 foot.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:16 PM
^^ That's a 4T65-EHD in case you go looking to get one. The HD is quite a bit heavier duty than the normal 65.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search