THE Stock Cat vs. Hi-Flow Cat Argument Thread - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
THE Stock Cat vs. Hi-Flow Cat Argument Thread
Friday, February 03, 2006 9:10 AM
Ok, I intend to start a thread here where people argue back and forth the pro's and con's of aftermarket high-flow catalytic converters... I am trying to decide whether they're worth $70+install to complete my header-back exhaust system. I have heard many people swear by them and others say they're no better than stock... What I want is some opinions and hopefully a few fact-based arguments to go with it to decide... for or against... Thanks for all constructive comments in advance.

Re: THE Stock Cat vs. Hi-Flow Cat Argument Thread
Friday, February 03, 2006 9:17 AM
when i did my header i did a high flow maganflow obd2 cat

other than it being more on the loud side than i like , i know i need a resonator added to it

being that im supercharged , i wanted the whole exhaust 1 size

Friday, February 03, 2006 9:21 AM
frankly just eliminate it if your draging only off road use more flow is more power but if i had to leave it on due to gov regulations by passing emissions free flowing cat all the way but keep in mind you can only put out whats coming in through the intake side and the best id size for exhaust that i have tested header 3in down pipe to free flow cat then 2.1/4 cat back if turbo'd 3in all the way baby

check my ride out from scratch to present and vote for me !!!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ztwentyfo
Friday, February 03, 2006 9:34 AM
All performance reasons aside, the stock cat is old. It's been on your car since you bought it. Someday, it might fail or get clogged, then you've got REAL problems. Replacing it with a new converter when you do your exhaust work is never a bad idea since it's just one less point of failure. I know for damn sure I'm getting myself a Magnaflow 94035 converter in a few weeks, since I've been running a couple months without one at all.

Friday, February 03, 2006 9:47 AM
That doesn't sound like a bad deal...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, February 03, 2006 9:51 AM
well, Fury, I would agree except my cat has only 11,000 miles on it... so it's not exactly "old"... I wish it was, that way I wouldn't have a problem replacing it... as such, however, it's brand new.

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:07 AM
The Header is 2 1/2 inches then it necks down to the 2 inch factory cat and then back up to the cat backs size you had Tony put on. So the whole exhaust system may as well be 2 inch because it can not flow any more air then its smallest diameter part.

Think of it this way. First start off at a fire hydrant and your running regular fir hose.
then have that hose neck down to the size of a garden hose and then back up to the fire hose size. Now how well do you think that the water will flow from the hydrant to the end
where the fire needs to be put out ? You'll be lucky if the water trickles out but the hydrant will still have tons of pressure. Well your engine is the hydrant and the end where the fire is is your tailpipe tip. Any questions?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:15 AM
Tim wrote:well, Fury, I would agree except my cat has only 11,000 miles on it... so it's not exactly "old"... I wish it was, that way I wouldn't have a problem replacing it... as such, however, it's brand new.
Suppose I should have said it a different way. Just talking in generalities.

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:18 AM
Jackalope wrote:The Header is 2 1/2 inches then it necks down to the 2 inch factory cat and then back up to the cat backs size you had Tony put on. So the whole exhaust system may as well be 2 inch because it can not flow any more air then its smallest diameter part.

Think of it this way. First start off at a fire hydrant and your running regular fir hose.
then have that hose neck down to the size of a garden hose and then back up to the fire hose size. Now how well do you think that the water will flow from the hydrant to the end
where the fire needs to be put out ? You'll be lucky if the water trickles out but the hydrant will still have tons of pressure. Well your engine is the hydrant and the end where the fire is is your tailpipe tip. Any questions?

lol those analogies are getting more and more complicated.

but yeah, changing your exhaust but leaving the stock cat is a waste of money. You won,t get half the power you would get if you replaced it one that is the same diameter as your exhaust.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:35 AM
Ok, so it's not so much that the way the cat is designed actually "flows" better, just that the inlet and outlet are bigger... correct? If I had a 4-1 header and 2.25" cat-back exhaust, would it be very beneficial for me to get the high-flow? Worth the $70?

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:40 AM
exactly. and I will throw your statement the other way. It is not worth the hundreds of dollars you spend on an exhaust if you don't spend the measly 70 $ to change the cat.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:44 AM
The stock cat has 8 years of warranty so it should be good for at least 8 years.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:56 AM
As the others already stated, your exhaust can only flow as much air as your smallest diameter opening. A header and cat-back are practically a waste of money because you're stil restricted by your cat's inlet/outlet diameter. Yes, our cats flow pretty well but its their size that has the most restriction on the exhaust.

Blown.
Friday, February 03, 2006 12:16 PM
Ok, so far the common consensus is that it's more than worth the $70 for one of those cats ESPECIALLY to complement a full exhaust? You guys reccomend the 94035?

Friday, February 03, 2006 1:03 PM
stock cat and high flow cat < no cat

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Friday, February 03, 2006 5:10 PM

Friday, February 03, 2006 5:43 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:stock cat and high flow cat < no cat

for boost, yes. for anything not boosted, no.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, February 03, 2006 5:48 PM
Tim wrote:Ok, so far the common consensus is that it's more than worth the $70 for one of those cats ESPECIALLY to complement a full exhaust? You guys reccomend the 94035?

I installed a 91035 on my car last weekend, and haven't had any issues.
I'd do an eBay search on both and see if you can get better pricing.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, February 03, 2006 6:49 PM
Tim wrote:Ok, so far the common consensus is that it's more than worth the $70 for one of those cats ESPECIALLY to complement a full exhaust? You guys reccomend the 94035?

I've read some people have had some codes thrown because of the new cat and some have had no problems. I have the 94035 hi flow cat from Magnaflow (2.25" in/out) but I have yet to install it (I'll do this as soon as I get my header). In my personal opinion, I would look into a cat (94035 if you're looking for 2.25"). There's too much ambiguity about 'codes being thrown' and its a waste of exhaust if you don't.

Blown.
Friday, February 03, 2006 6:59 PM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:

Not this ish again.

Yes catalytic convertors are restrictive.
No catalytic convertors don't just fail.
They go bad when heated up excessivly. Like misfiring or running rich. Or burning coolant or oil.
Yes "cats" go bad when they hit things. like rocks and small animals.

If you have the money to replace the stock cat, go for it.
If you're saving some money then the "high flow" cat is not needed.
IMO, you're not going to gain much by changing the pipe size. The muffler is the restrictive part.
Maybe after the cat as the exhaust gas temperature rises after exiting the cat.

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:19 PM
anyone used a metal core cat...like this one...
they look like they flow damn good

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:01 PM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:

I have seen many n/a dyno comparisons in Sport Compact car magazine comparing a test pipe to a cat. Test pipe always makes more power. Plus a test pipe is much cheaper than a aftermarket cat. I personally killed 2 Catco hi-flow cats within 20,000 miles of each other, i don't recommend them.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:20 AM
^^^^^ mesra, I just bought that cat, getting it all put on next friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:06 AM
Tim wrote:Ok, I intend to start a thread here where people argue back and forth the pro's and con's of aftermarket high-flow catalytic converters... I am trying to decide whether they're worth $70+install to complete my header-back exhaust system. I have heard many people swear by them and others say they're no better than stock... What I want is some opinions and hopefully a few fact-based arguments to go with it to decide... for or against... Thanks for all constructive comments in advance.

whats to argue on it?

if you increase pipe size, you need a cat with similar pipe size.

pretty much all cats these days are high flow, however tthe pipe size will restrict flow if you use a stock cat on a 2 inch plus system. hence the reason to upgrade.

Quote:

I have seen many n/a dyno comparisons in Sport Compact car magazine comparing a test pipe to a cat.

between SS, sport compact car, and HCI for that matter, i;ve seen more cars and exhaust articles on reg street cars and NON RACE ENGINED cars where cats included gave the higher power margin. also to note alot of times, HP was similar, but torque was significantly higher.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:12 AM
Quote:

getting it all put on next friday. I'll let you know how it goes

please do...ive looked at one of those in person and they look like they flow soooo much better than the magnaflow one i have on right now...it seems hard to find any of them though

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search