do I need to oil the filter before use?Cosmo intak - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
do I need to oil the filter before use?Cosmo intak
Friday, January 20, 2006 1:10 PM
Installed my cosmo racing intake today, bit of a pain in the ass but it all worked out fine. Qusetion is when an air filter comes with the intake system, do I need to oil it or use a K and N filter charging spray before I use it or is it ready to go as is? Also anyone with this cosmo intake know where to use the bracket for the clutch resevoir since it used to attach to the airbox.

Re: do I need to oil the filter before use?Cosmo i
Friday, January 20, 2006 1:16 PM
Yeah, the clutch bracket goes where the back of the air box mounted, its like a little arm that comes off the strut tower on a slant, with a hole in it, you attach the clutch res. to there with the bracket.

Also, if the intake filter media is WHITE, it needs to be oiled, if its Pink, or any other color, it should be oiled and ready to go.
Friday, January 20, 2006 1:28 PM
do NOT oil them. they are your basic throw away filter that DOES do the job, but oiling those types of filters will actually eat away at them!!! ( i was told this by a performance shop who had many returns of people who oiled there filters and brought them back destroyed) can someone confirm this?

Friday, January 20, 2006 2:39 PM
i'll confirm it. my little brother got a cheap ebay intake that came with a junk filter. it was dirty and he was having trouble finding a K&N filter to fit the intake, so he cleaned it and oiled it.

about 3,000 miles later he was driving down the freeway and his car died. he got it to the side of the road, popped the hood. everything was fine. full of gas, oil had just been changed. goes to start it, fires up, sputters, dies.

i go to pick him up and he shows me what its doing. i yank the POS intake off, he fires it up, runs fine. we had to drive it home without a filter which sucked, but at least its ok now. he put the stock intake back on until he can get a real intake

do yourself a favor. use that filter until you can find a K&N filter to replace it with....knfilters.com has a link where you can get filters online and you can also special order them from any checkers/chucks/kragen as long as you know the part number that'll fit your intake.

GO PATS!!!
Friday, January 20, 2006 3:57 PM
Will Do, thanks guys
Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:53 AM
Sorry to pass the wrong info, I was under the impression that the filter was in fact cotton guaze and not a standard paper filter.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search