Cobalt SS Drivetrain swapped into a J-Body? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS Drivetrain swapped into a J-Body?
Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:15 AM
Haven't been over here in awhile... Anyone tried this swap yet? Trying to get a gauge of how difficult the swap would be with the electronics, motor mounts, and such...

1998 Cavalier Z24
2002 Camaro Z28

Re: Cobalt SS Drivetrain swapped into a J-Body?
Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:49 AM
No one has posted trying to do so. I don't think anyone has done the 2.0 S/C swap because for the amount you're doing it, you can boost your ECOTEC (assuming you have one) and probably have more horsepower.

I'm assuming the electronics part would be somewhat difficult to do a swap being that it's more computer controlled (even the throttle body).

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:59 AM
trans wont fit

and the 2.0 electronics is way complicatd for a J-body

not to mention the drive by wire

easier to put the s/c on a 2.2 eco

Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:18 PM
I figured it would be along the lines of stuffing the 3400 or 3.8SC motors in... you'd better have the donor car there, and swap over pretty much everything, right down to the fuel pump and all the electrical wiring.

In effect, you'd have a Cobalt SS S/C in a Cavalier or Sunfire chassis. But if you could find a wrecked SS for cheap.. then give 'er...

...j

Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:35 PM
Nobody has done it. Why don't you become the first?

Saturday, January 14, 2006 5:06 PM
I'd think it would be a PITA swap. I have quite a few FWD gm swaps under my belt, and its crossed my mind i don't think that it would be worth your time. 205hp and 200ft lbs of torque? You could go 3.4L and have more torque. Either way custom turbo swap.

P0234- Only Code worth ever coming up on ur Scanner

www.sounddomain.com/id/935speedrs
Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:43 AM
Bigger engines are usually heavier... I was thinking it would be just as involved as a 3800 swap.. Could the LD9 tranny bolt up to the new 2.0 Ecotec? You could always go stand alone Tec3 or FAST XFI...

I'd try it myself if I had the extra money laying around... Just thought I'd ask...

I'll probably just try and swap in a 2.2 Ecotec if the Twin Cam fails again, that should be pretty straight forward. And hopefully that SC kit will be released.

1998 Cavalier Z24
2002 Camaro Z28
Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:05 AM
DarknessZ28 wrote:Bigger engines are usually heavier... I was thinking it would be just as involved as a 3800 swap.. Could the LD9 tranny bolt up to the new 2.0 Ecotec? You could always go stand alone Tec3 or FAST XFI...

I'd try it myself if I had the extra money laying around... Just thought I'd ask...

I'll probably just try and swap in a 2.2 Ecotec if the Twin Cam fails again, that should be pretty straight forward. And hopefully that SC kit will be released.

The LD9 Transmission wouldn't bolt up to it, different bell housings.

Good luck in the future.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:19 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]trans wont fit

and the 2.0 electronics is way complicatd for a J-body

not to mention the drive by wire

easier to put the s/c on a 2.2 eco

You'd need to use at least a Getrag F23, but I'm wondering why you say the F25 won't fit?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:41 PM
I heard something that you have to swap the oil pan from the 2.2 to the cobalt SS engine. Also I thought the Getrags F25 and F23 where the same tranny on the outside but different gear ratios on the inside. Well I guess only time will tell if someone does the swap.
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:37 AM
greenecotec2004 wrote:I heard something that you have to swap the oil pan from the 2.2 to the cobalt SS engine. Also I thought the Getrags F25 and F23 where the same tranny on the outside but different gear ratios on the inside. Well I guess only time will tell if someone does the swap.

They are completely different on the inside, the only shared parts are the diff. I have no idea what the outsides look like, but I'm interested to know if the tranny mounting points are different, or why else they wouldn't be interchangeable.

Monday, January 16, 2006 10:50 AM
the trans on the 2.0 sc is larger case wise , and the mounting is right off the bell housing , towards the center of the car

the cav's use mounting off the end of the case , at the frame rail

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:39 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]the trans on the 2.0 sc is larger case wise , and the mounting is right off the bell housing , towards the center of the car

the cav's use mounting off the end of the case , at the frame rail

Are the base model 2.2 ecotec cobalt tranny's the same case as was used in the J's? Are you saying the SS has a different tranny mount than the base (and are you reffering only to the rear mount or side mount or both if this is acurate)?

Monday, January 16, 2006 1:28 PM
i havent seen a 2.2 trans out of the car

but all the cobalts have the mounts in the center of the chassis , right at the belhousing

there is 1 on the front of the trans , and 1 in the back

and no where to add mounts to the case on the 2.0 sc trans , ive got 1 sitting in my garage

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:57 PM
it wouldnt be worth it, the colbot is down on power, it's only a 2.0 so do the 2.2 to 2.4 swap and boost the hell outta it.
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:37 AM
matt dibenedetto wrote:it wouldnt be worth it, the colbot is down on power, it's only a 2.0 so do the 2.2 to 2.4 swap and boost the hell outta it.

It may be smaller, but it's also a full forged bottom end so I don't see how it wouldn't be worth it.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:02 AM
the 2.4 is forged also

ive always hated the use of the 2.0 , more so for the lack of higher redline , it should be 7000-7500 , not 6450

so far the 2.2 has held up as good as the 2.0s , since several people have gotten the equalivant of 300 hp at the crank

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:16 PM

Why not just swap this in, then put a bigger turbo on it.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:27 AM
urweak wrote:

Why not just swap this in, then put a bigger turbo on it.

It's not that simple.

That saab requires a more active computer system that probably uses more sensors and has an electronic throttle body. Also, that motor doesn't use a front mount intercooler...it's uses water cooling technology that cools down the turbo, so you would you basically have to change your intercooling setup.

Same difficulty pretty much as taking out the 2.0 from the Cobalt/Redline...it's the same motor.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:45 AM
Took a ride in a friend's Cobalt SS today... Lots of low end, on demand power... Not too much seat of the pants power up top.. And I can't recall hearing the whine of the SC, but I think he had the music up... Nice car, but I wouldn't spend 20k on it...

1998 Cavalier Z24
2002 Camaro Z28
Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:15 AM
DarknessZ28 wrote:Took a ride in a friend's Cobalt SS today... Lots of low end, on demand power... Not too much seat of the pants power up top.. And I can't recall hearing the whine of the SC, but I think he had the music up... Nice car, but I wouldn't spend 20k on it...

Summed it up right there.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:16 AM
for me.. until the Cobalt is awd it isnt even a player. I look for a Rally version, with the new VVT 2.0t concept engine and awd. That would be great for GM's small car segment.

but in the end its is still just another fwd car, that just so happens to weigh more than the cav. Nicer car, better chassis, looks GREAT, good progress for GM, but not something you cant help with the extra $17,000 you'll have left over. For $21,000 you would have one SICK cav.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:56 PM
I hear that they are going to put the turboed 2.0L in the coblat that will also be used in the solstice GXP

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:22 PM
its the same engine

but btw there is also an intercooler on the saab liquid to turbo and air to air up front.

Yea i spell liek wrong get over it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search