Resonator - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Resonator
Thursday, December 08, 2005 2:07 PM
why is it there?? what is it for? soes it just quite the car down?

Re: Resonator
Thursday, December 08, 2005 2:25 PM
Resonators in the exhaust do a few things. They keep the sound a little more "mellow" by eliminating raspy sounds, smoothing the sound of the pulses, sometimes helping to give you a better exhaust "note" by making it sound less "tinny". Often the popping sounds you hear are lessened as well.

I've used the " " things quite a bit, but I'm hoping I'm not confusing you or sounding like a jackass.

Mainly, as far as a stock exhaust system goes, it helps keep it QUIET. Also helps a lot with aftermarket exhaust systems.

Lots of folks out there, especially folks selling resonators on ebay, claim that you can get more horsepower or torque by installing one. This is not NECESSARILY true. I know I saw a few on ebay where the seller promised a 3-5HP GAIN, and maybe it's true, but most likely not. It all depends on the length & diameter or the resonator as well as what system it's going on.

Just remember, if you're keeping your stock exhaust system, everyone says to cut out the resonator. That will give you a slight bit more power, but not a lot. Just be careful, cuz you may need to weld/clamp in a section of pipe over where the resonator is if you get rid of it. That will make the system louder and raspy.

Someone out there may eventually elaborate on this subject, or maybe even correct something I've said.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:52 AM
if ud like want im selling a bran new one never used, for 20. 25 in perfourve 2.25 in/out dynomax thrush
Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:12 AM
^ I got mine from jegs for $17.99 and you can get them at any parts store for that price almost. Either you are gunna take a loss on that or just keep it.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:17 AM
u got a 25 inch same brand for 17.99? i used jegs to. payed 19.99
Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:20 AM
Yes.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search