Two questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Two questions
Monday, October 03, 2005 8:25 PM
So im about to order a pacesetter header...first question is how much improvement is a ceramic coated header versus a regular steel header? Next and more important question is how far in front of the cat on the stock exhaust do i need to cut to ensure proper fitment? Thanks for any help!!

Josh

Re: Two questions
Monday, October 03, 2005 8:33 PM
Basically, by ordering a Ceramic Coated Header, that will keep temperatures down under your engine bay. I personally don't have a Ceramic Coated Header, I have a regular steel header and the only times temperature is somewhat of an issue is when I'm parked my temperature gauge goes up a couple knotches but that's it.

Now if you're going to order a Pacesetter Header, get the Ceramic Coated header...the "black" one is crap.

I can't answer your question about how far in front the cat is. If you take it to a exhaust shop they will do what is necessary to make it fit.

On a side note, Just upgrading your header will only do so much...remember, your exhaust system is only as big as the smallest part of your exhaust, which means, If you put a header on and the downpipe is 2 1/4" (or whatever size it is) and you still have a stock exhaust system (2") than you really still have just about the same performance as stock.

Also think of your exhaust flow...when your exhaust leaves the motor, it will speed up because of the larger header but then your exhaust flow will slow right down when it hits your catalytic converter and stock piping. Basically, if you're going to do it, do the rest of your exhaust system. If you don't have the money, save up...it's worth it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:59 PM
hhmm...i guess i need to ask another question...whats a good exhaust system? I'll do some research but if you all could give me a solid starting point i would be greatly obliged.

Josh
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:08 PM
J F wrote:hhmm...i guess i need to ask another question...whats a good exhaust system? I'll do some research but if you all could give me a solid starting point i would be greatly obliged.

Josh

First, what motor do you have?

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:11 PM
go custom i did my entire exhaust including header for under $300

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:11 PM
2.2 Ecotec...currently reading your huge sticky post...im not gonna go boosted for a very long time due to money issues (love college)...
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:17 PM
04eco wrote:go custom i did my entire exhaust including header for under $300

How exactly did you do that if you dont mind me asking?
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:26 PM
J F wrote:
04eco wrote:go custom i did my entire exhaust including header for under $300

How exactly did you do that if you dont mind me asking?

Well I bought my header for $165 on Ebay. I paid $100 for my custom catback, $50 for my HKS muffler (a steal), $60 for my High Flow Cat, and another $50 for the install of the high flow cat. You can do it if you get a cheap muffler, stock cat, and a good price on a custom catback.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:37 PM
J F wrote:2.2 Ecotec...currently reading your huge sticky post...im not gonna go boosted for a very long time due to money issues (love college)...

Funny you said that cause I was going to suggest you do that...

Enjoy my sticky

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:48 PM
Custom will save you a lot of money believe me... We all make mistakes one day... I've learned my lesson...

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:03 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:
Now if you're going to order a Pacesetter Header, get the Ceramic Coated header...the "black" one is crap.

can you kinda explain that into more detail?

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:11 PM
With the black painted one you have to sand it and repaint it with high heat paint. If you don't the paint will come off after a couple of minute, it's only there to avoid that rust get on the header between the moment that it's made and the moment it's in your hand.... Plus the "normal" header won't keep the heat out of the engine bay like the ceramic coated one..

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:23 PM
Da Ghost (Qc) wrote:With the black painted one you have to sand it and repaint it with high heat paint. If you don't the paint will come off after a couple of minute, it's only there to avoid that rust get on the header between the moment that it's made and the moment it's in your hand.... Plus the "normal" header won't keep the heat out of the engine bay like the ceramic coated one..

Basically what he said...

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:40 PM
the header was 180 shipped, catco 2.25 cat 50 shipped, 2.25 cherrybomb glasspack 20, 7 ft of 2.25 exhaust pipe 15 and then the single bend and welding/install done myself.

The one, the only, ME.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search