1997 2.4L to Eco swap ??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1997 2.4L to Eco swap ???
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:57 AM
Well i searched and no one seems to have tried this scenario that i can find...... is it possible to take a 2.2Eco and put it in a 1997 Z24 ??

i mean its possible, but is there any insight to custom cutting fabbing that may need to be done......

i figure ill need...

Motor
Tranny
ECU
Cluster
Shifter and cables (are they the same for the Getrag, i doubt it)

Re: 1997 2.4L to Eco swap ???
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:07 AM
There are tons of posts about motor swap...here is one for example:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=314603&t=314603#314603

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:08 AM
Try this post.. Just a few below this one

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=314941&t=314941

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:43 AM
Those posts are about swaps, but niether help me overly and when i said i searched that means i did. I read almost every post in maintenance and performance with the word "Swap" .

Both of these guys are swapping auto to standard. I am not, im going 5sp to 5sp. im also wondering if the eco is compatible with the izuzu to cut costs, but the izuzu is garb, and would rather the Getrag. One is swapping 2.2 to 2.4 (tranny swap too) and the other 2000 2200 to eco.

Now it was hinted that the cluster would need to be done, but seeing how i have a 5spd is it propable to use my cluster, is it possible to use my ecu.......i thought i heard talk of using an adapter plate of some kind to adapt the 2000 Getrag to that of the eco.......im assuming there is nothing for the izuzu like that......

My car is stick are my cables compatible for the getrag...... Has n e one atempted my scenario, theres seems to be chatter about the eco swap, has n e one done it tho.....

if it turns out i need the tranny, cluster, dash (dash wont be the same unless i get 02 eco), getrag tranny, with shifter and cables, shifter assembly, ecu, rad mite be different, custom mounts, doubt there the same, one is deff. different for the tranny....

^^^ if i deff. need all of these parts i dont believe the swap is worth it, im better off with a 2000 2.4L and tranny instead......i can get the eco for 400 CDN, thats why i have asked.....
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:59 AM
Ok, I have done the swap (not in my car, but for a friend). I'm also about to do 3 more of them.
You can not use your tranny (it will not bolt up). You need to swap everything. Your best bet is to get a wreck ecotec car 5 speed and swap everything. You will need all engine bay wiring, plus the inside wiring as well. Ecotecs have BCM's you car does not. The gas tanks are different (but you could use yours). If you got a wrecked car I would swap the tanks, the ecotec tanks are plastice, yours is metal. The rear tranny bracket is different, and the frony is but can use your stock one. If you got a wrecked car just cut the ones out of it. The best thing to do is get a wrecked car, and swap everything over, all wiring front to back. Also the head light harness is different, and yours will not plug into the ecotec harness. You will either have to do a headlight swap to a 2000+, or hard wire your bulbs to the ecotec harness (not that hard). Also need a radiator. Some people have used the older ones, and just played with the hoses. Some of the hook ups are in different locations.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:10 PM
thanks ^^^ that was the kind of info i needed..........well.......ill haveta do some shopping and see what i can find......
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:13 PM
Also depending on what year ecotec you get. You will have to swap your cluster, and ignition swiatch. 2003 they change the theft system. I believe 2002 is the same. Also the miles on the car is kept in the BCM so if you swap your cluster it will show the miles that is on the car the motor came from (as long as the BCM and motor are from the same car). One of the oens we are getting ready to do the guy paid 1070.00 for a wrecked 2004 ecotec 5 speed. I think it has 20k on it.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:41 PM
I have a question i got a 2000 z24 im thinking of swaping my 2.4 to a ecotec Reason why i want to do this is becouse my 2.4 is ticking loud a mechanic said its my lifters. Im saving money to fix it but if i fix it hes going to replace the lifters timing chain waterpump . But im on a tough situation. My car has 80.000 miles. they been hard miles. do you guys think is worth fixing it. Or should i move on to a ecotec motor. And will my getrag trany fir the ecotec motor and will i have to change the computer. If I rebuild the 2.4 with beter internals hou much do you think it will cost me to rebuild it please help me guys Ilove cavaliers i love my 2.4 but i think is better to go for the ecotec thanks
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 7:11 PM
^^^^I would just fix it, less head aches.

1997 pontiac sunfire
2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search