low budget build up? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
low budget build up?
Monday, August 08, 2005 8:28 AM
i've purchased a cavalier (96 2.2 5 speed manual) for $200. i bought it knowing full well that the engine was blown, and i dont mind having to rebuild it. i've already pulled the motor, completely dissassembled it, and here's what i found out: The timing tensoner (a NYLON piece mind you) was in the oil pan. this was my first bad sign. after i unbolted the main caps, i breathed a sigh of relief to find than no main bearings had spun. unfortunately, #3 rod bearing decided he wanted to wiggle due to an overabundance of slag in the oil feed. The block i'm glad to say was spared any damage, but i need to know if anyone has any parts lying around they could spare for cheap... NO JUNK... or if anyone can find me a better deal than $450 for the rebuild parts plus an additional $130 for the crank, let me know.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Re: low budget build up?
Monday, August 08, 2005 8:40 AM
most of the parts i have laying around are used and honestly, unless it was a life or death ordeal i wouldnt put em in anyones engine...

the wear patterns with crucial parts are different in each car.

if i were you, i;d find a local shop and buy new parts or visit car-part.com for solid stuff like springs etc...but you might wanna pay to have em teched for pressure.

honestly though if you wanna do a build up...you are gonna have to pay for parts. begging for cheap parts can have some sell you old junk that really shouldnt be used, and you wont know until its too late.

Monday, August 08, 2005 8:45 AM
that i understand, and as i said i've found a complet rebuild kit for about $450 (cam, lifters, pistons, all gasgets, rings, all bearings, timing set, oil pump) sans crankshaft, of which i have found a site for a 2.2 crank kit selling for about $150

Monday, August 08, 2005 8:46 AM
unless you can find the same on ebay, or piece it together.... it will prob be a feat to overcome that price... was the site howellautomotive.com

gary howell sells a full kit for rebuild if you have been there yet.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:29 PM
suprisingly no.... www.autozone.com

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:31 PM
www.autozone.com for the crank and www.northernautoparts.com for the master rebuild kit

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search