Ecotec AFPR tuning question. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec AFPR tuning question.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:04 AM
Getting a AFPR very soon, and I need to know what you guys have tuned it to? I figure I will hook up my fuel pressure gauge and get some base readings, and then drop the fuel pressure at most 5 psi. Just curious as to what you guys have done. I considered a SAFC, but I really am not interested in that at this time.

2003 Base Coupe Cav 5 speed (no abs, pw, pl, anything)

Mods are:

AEM CAI
LZM Stage 2 Cams
PS 4 to 1 Header
2.25 cat back (soon to be replaced with side exit setup)
RK Upper and Lower Mounts
Ported and half shafted Throttle Body

Basically thats it engine wise.

2006 Cobalt SS I/H/E ZZP S2 HPT 2.8/60's Etc...13.8@105(I need to learn how to launch)

Re: Ecotec AFPR tuning question.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:46 AM
You should figure out where your engine is, A/F wise, before dropping fuel pressure.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:23 AM
Yeah I dont have anything to tune with though. I am going to the dyno a town or two over so that will help. I just need a general rule here. The car black smokes on acceleration, not alot but enough. Also the one time I have ever gotten a CEL from the cams, is a P0172 system rich.

2006 Cobalt SS I/H/E ZZP S2 HPT 2.8/60's Etc...13.8@105(I need to learn how to launch)
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:34 AM
There is no general rule, what works for one person just doesn't work for everybody, especially with the eco. Some performance cars are so highly tuned that when they bring them over from Japan to drift, the cars won't even start in the lower elevation and higher humidity. Point is that a tune in one place may work for one person, but be totally wrong for somebody else.

In order to figure out what fuel you need, get it on the dyno first, then tune from there. Do a base pull, then take a little gas out and see if it goes up without knock, and repeat.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:44 AM
Ok sounds good then. Thanks for your time!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 11:27 AM
Shifted wrote:You should figure out where your engine is, A/F wise, before dropping fuel pressure.

Yeah what he said. I think most of the people running AFPR's is on boosted cars., which is another monster, compared to yours. I would see what fuel pressure you are running right now (without it). then put it on and adjust it to run the same fuel pressure, go to the dyno get air/fuel reading, and adjust and see the hp difference at the same time.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:20 PM
You guys have seen me say this before but...

If I were you, I would invest in an SAFC. Fuel pressure may not really be neccesary for you to adjust. With an SAFC, your utilizing your computer to increase or decrease the amount of fuel that leaves your injectors. Pretty much, it tricks your computer into doing what you ever you want, fuel wise.

In my opinion, an FPR is really good for boosted vehicles or a HIGHLY modified motor that really does need more pressure. You are mildly modified.

Even in my case, I have opened my motor for a built head and cams (every bolt on you can think of) and I don't need more fuel pressure. I actually am running rich and need to turn my fuel down but not needing decrease fuel pressure. With the SAFC, easy install, decrease some fuel from my injectors in certain RPMs and now running great and strong.

Another reason I wouldn't suggest a FPR, say you need more or less fuel in one area of your powerband...with an FPR, your turning it up or down throughout your whole powerband which can hurt you. If you need extremely more fuel in a higher rpm and you turn it up, your running rich in lower rpms which hurts your performance.

This is just my opinion...hope you think about what I'm suggesting. Good Luck in the future.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search