ecotec venom intake manifold- opinions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec venom intake manifold- opinions
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:12 PM
has anyone actually bought and/or installed the venom manifold for the ecotec? at a price of a grand, im curious to whether it might actually give any decent gains.

http://www.venom-performance.com/nf/html/prodtoc.htm

its the featured item, right on this page.

Re: ecotec venom intake manifold- opinions
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:31 PM
Well to be honest I dont think to many guys would waste their money on it. They would most likely look at that grand and spend it on an I/H/E, pulleys, Nitous kit and possibly more if they do their homework and try to find deals ont he parts they want. Plus where they say they have dyno charts i tried to pull it up but it wouldnt work.

On the plus side it does look cool. I just wouldnt want to be the first guy to buy one on the org and dyno it and gain like 3hp, Id rather go chop off my manhood for doing something stupid like that........

And if i came across as angry sorry I had a bad day at work. lol

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:48 PM
^^^ I agree, I wouldnt want to be the first person either. With that much money I want a proven poewr gain, not a lets see if we make something. I would email Venom and ask if they have a dyno sheet. The manifold its self prob only gives like 5-10 hp but makes add ons so much more productive, such as TB, intake, header, exhaust. I would be curious to know where the power is added, low rpm or high.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:55 PM
their manifold for the 2,4 gained like 3 or 4 whp IF that if I remember correctly

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:06 PM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:their manifold for the 2,4 gained like 3 or 4 whp IF that if I remember correctly

I guess that would depend on the car and what they had done to it.

I believe it would be more benificial in someones case like mine who has pretty much all the bolt-ons plus headwork.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:52 PM
^ True but $1,000.00 think of it as Pennies...thats a crap load of pennies for like 2/3s i bet you could have a custom made one or half maybe...idont know i just cant imagine spending one thousand on an intake manifold.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:59 PM
im turbocharged anyway... dont really worry too much about my IM for now... but im surprised you all would think it sucks so much. although venom doesnt have the greatest reputation, it looked pretty good. but looks can be decieving.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:11 PM
pushrods wrote:^ True but $1,000.00 think of it as Pennies...thats a crap load of pennies for like 2/3s i bet you could have a custom made one or half maybe...idont know i just cant imagine spending one thousand on an intake manifold.

haha I never said it was a smart buy, just saying the product itself would be more benifical for an more built n/a car. Me personally...I wouldn't buy it at that amount. I'd wait for a WHILE, then purchase it.

rob wrote:im turbocharged anyway... dont really worry too much about my IM for now...

If your turbocharging, I'd check out <a href="http://www.twistecproducts.com">Twistec Performance's</a> Intake Manifold....it's a log style and would be more benificial for a turbo application.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:20 PM
The only thing I don't like about Venom's manifold is that it retains the scroll/conch-shell like design of the original.... which makes it bad for single-port wet nitrous systems (encourages puddling) and turbo's running extra injectors (again, encourages puddles).

What I do like is that it maintains long runners and should maintain low rpm and midrange torque better than a short runner log-style manifold would. Venom's would probably be a better choice for a blown street engine whereas Twistec or GM's intake mani would be the best choice for an all-out race setup. THe latter two would probably show minimal gains and a massive loss of low-midrange power on a street engine. Now if you're pushing 20 psi or so than maybe the short runner log styles would be worth it but i think if you have just about everything else on your boosted street eco, than the Venom wouldn't be a terrible way to spend a g-note.... but I'd have to see dynos before i stand by that statement. On a car with basic bolt ons, i wouldn't even bother. It probably won't do you much, if any good on an N/A setup unless you're building a rev monster that's getting tached out to 8K or so.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:25 PM
Quote:

If your turbocharging, I'd check out Twistec Performance's Intake Manifold....it's a log style and would be more benificial for a turbo application.

Adam, not to call you out or anything, but i think until we see dynos of each manifold on the same car, with the same setup, that that's a very premature judgement.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, July 14, 2005 12:29 AM
Jersey Jay 1.8T wrote:
Quote:

If your turbocharging, I'd check out Twistec Performance's Intake Manifold....it's a log style and would be more benificial for a turbo application.

Adam, not to call you out or anything, but i think until we see dynos of each manifold on the same car, with the same setup, that that's a very premature judgement.

I'm just going off of general aspects. Log style manifolds are more suited for turbo applications or like you said full race/track cars. I have no dyno #s for each manifold and I personally don't know anyone who has the Twistec manifold to ask them about it. I'm just giving a general reference so they can call and get more info on it.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:46 AM
Actually the venom manifold looks like it wouldnt puddle as much as the stock one. Once I get my nitrous setup and going this winterish.. I will start looking at it, I dont mind being "the first guy" and even getting 3 hp outta it if it is gonna make my system a little safer. Like NJs Honda killer said, once you get done with the simple bolt ons, where else do you go.

Next year Id love to start doing internals and see where I can take it to from there. I have considered buying it MANY times, and once I run out of the little bolt ons... I can see it happening soon.

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:02 AM
i think this was in another post not long ago hondakilla should remember it too.
any way i called and talked to a venom rep and they claim an increase of 8hp to the wheels. and i about fell over laughing. a grand for 8 horses they're nuts.

remember hondakilla i said i was gonna get 10 of them so i could get anouther 80 hp

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:00 AM
8hp for $1,000, thats 1hp per $125. that about equal to the hp per $ amount of nitrous........ lol. This was in the last post also but has any one found out if this link is the same manifold or if its a log style for the eco's from Venom. I know the pic is a log style but picture are always wrong.CLICKY At less than $700 thats a much better bargain.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:02 AM
I keep hearing people say only 3-4 hp. 3-4hp at the wheesl is close to 10 at the flywheel, and you will notice that. That kind of power makes a difference. Yes that is some money, but speed is not cheap, and until there is more products like it by other companies it will stay high. There has to be a need for it before others will make one.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:29 AM
Ya thats the problem there are very few companies who make intake manifolds, There are a couple log style ones, but not everyone wants that. I would like a similar to Venom Design, with less chance of puddling design, but I dont expect to see the Venom prices go down much anytime soon At one point I thought they were 700-800ish

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Thursday, July 14, 2005 1:36 PM
I thought twistec was done for. Closed up.

I will ask about Hp #'s if possible today. Or see if there is a chance for getting some.

I highly doubt the price will drop. It's much more complicated than their other manifolds.

Also, the IM on nopi.com will be wrong. There is NO way they can sell it that cheap. Maybe a 2.4 manifold.

My Car
Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:26 PM
NJs Honda Killa wrote:
Jersey Jay 1.8T wrote:
Quote:

I'm just going off of general aspects. Log style manifolds are more suited for turbo applications or like you said full race/track cars. I have no dyno #s for each manifold and I personally don't know anyone who has the Twistec manifold to ask them about it. I'm just giving a general reference so they can call and get more info on it.

I gurantee you would lose hp, you're already pushing your envelope, you haveso many NA breathing mods youre not making full power ebcause your revlimiter is so low, all that work and you could spin to 7500 rpms and make a lot more power

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:39 PM
a grand will buy you cams from crower $400.00. a header from anybody $400.00 and
a cold air intake agin from just about anybody $200.00. and you'll get more then 8 hp.
but if you can aford it hey more power to you. 03-cf-blues, you cant puddle anything
the injectors are after the intake. our cars have multi port fuel injection if
your puddleing fuel you may have a problem somewhere in there and you may want to consider getting that fixed instead of buying an intake. just my opinion.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:18 PM
Quote:

If your turbocharging, I'd check out Twistec Performance's Intake Manifold....it's a log style and would be more benificial for a turbo application

their site just has an email address... what happened to the page with all their products.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:29 PM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:
NJs Honda Killa wrote:
Jersey Jay 1.8T wrote:
Quote:

I gurantee you would lose hp, you're already pushing your envelope, you haveso many NA breathing mods youre not making full power ebcause your revlimiter is so low, all that work and you could spin to 7500 rpms and make a lot more power

I'm sure you right but really i'm not worried about it at this point. Boost is coming and after that I'll think of if there is a way to fix it.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:31 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]
Quote:

If your turbocharging, I'd check out Twistec Performance's Intake Manifold....it's a log style and would be more benificial for a turbo application

their site just has an email address... what happened to the page with all their products.

Maybe they are down...I remember their site had all their products and they were even sponsoring last years J-body bash. No idea whats going on now. Oh well.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:59 PM
if we can get enough interest i know of another company that is willing to make some log manifolds. would cost about $1k but the quality is well worth it.

go look up Hogan's Manifolds....good @!#$.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:13 PM
jackalope wrote:a grand will buy you cams from crower $400.00. a header from anybody $400.00 and
a cold air intake agin from just about anybody $200.00. and you'll get more then 8 hp.
but if you can aford it hey more power to you. 03-cf-blues, you cant puddle anything
the injectors are after the intake. our cars have multi port fuel injection if
your puddleing fuel you may have a problem somewhere in there and you may want to consider getting that fixed instead of buying an intake. just my opinion.

I think he ment when used with a wet nitrous kit it would cause less puddling than with a stock manifold.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:25 PM
hypsy wrote:if we can get enough interest i know of another company that is willing to make some log manifolds. would cost about $1k but the quality is well worth it.

go look up Hogan's Manifolds....good @!#$.

Honestly, interest wouldn't build up here unless it was dropped another $600 LOL

Me personally, if I really wanted an manifold and knew that it would be a tremendous help with the rest of my motor work and modifications, I would consider spending $1000 for a manifold but alot of JBO people see it as just an manifold and don't see what engineering goes behind making one and the business aspect of it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search