RSM Ecotec cams? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RSM Ecotec cams?
Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:01 PM
http://www.rsmracing.com/cav2_2_eco.htm

Quote:

Performance Cams
15-18 HP increase, 410 lift and 220 duration.
Cam carrier core charge applies. Uses stock filter.
$1050.00 + $100.00 core charge

So does anyone actually have these installed yet?

Re: RSM Ecotec cams?
Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:06 PM
Your probably not going to find anyone with those on here because they are ridiculously expensive.

You can actually get about the same performance out of the Jbody performance's stage 1 camshafts. They are rated about the same as the RSM Racing ones. Honestly, paying over $1100 for some cams is just ridiculous...I mean seriously...they are cams...I'm kind of surprised RSM would even list them at that price.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:07 PM
By the way here is a link:

Jbody Performance Camshafts

Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:51 PM
get the stage 1. i hear the stage 2 cams threw CEL codes

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:24 AM
99redz24 wrote:get the stage 1. i hear the stage 2 cams threw CEL codes

Exactly why you should get the stage 1 if your a street/daily driven car.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:06 AM
1100.00 for a set of cams? thats not steep its vertical!! contact crower cams there the
guys that grind the cams for the g.m. racing team they also grind the cams that g.m. sells thru the performance parts book. for BOTH cams new, not re-grinds i was quoted
$400.00. that price was given to me about 2 weeks ago when i was speeking with
mr.crower in cali. he said that hes got the NEW cores in stock and that when they
take the order the turn around is 24 hours and that he'll have your new cams in the mail
the next day! his stage 1 cams are good for an increase of 20-25 hp thats what his
guy in r.&d. was telling me. weather or not its true ? but even if you only get the 15 -
18 like rsm is stateing there are still much better cause of all the $$$$$ you get to save.
the difference would buy a header and whole exhaust!! and maybe an intake too.
b.t.w. you guys do know g.m. sells these cams and there less then $1100.00 .

one more thing almost forgot, try to stay away from any cam that says theres a core charge that means there useing re-ground cams. and for that price ( $1100.00 )
they should be billet cams not re-grinds. a re-ground cam is a used camshaft that the company then welds new metal to and re-grinds them. if anyone needs me to go into the many problems this could bring about just ask.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:51 AM
jackalope wrote:1100.00 for a set of cams? thats not steep its vertical!! contact crower cams there the
guys that grind the cams for the g.m. racing team they also grind the cams that g.m. sells thru the performance parts book. for BOTH cams new, not re-grinds i was quoted
$400.00. that price was given to me about 2 weeks ago when i was speeking with
mr.crower in cali. he said that hes got the NEW cores in stock and that when they
take the order the turn around is 24 hours and that he'll have your new cams in the mail
the next day! his stage 1 cams are good for an increase of 20-25 hp thats what his
guy in r.&d. was telling me. weather or not its true ? but even if you only get the 15 -
18 like rsm is stateing there are still much better cause of all the $$$$$ you get to save.
the difference would buy a header and whole exhaust!! and maybe an intake too.
b.t.w. you guys do know g.m. sells these cams and there less then $1100.00 .

one more thing almost forgot, try to stay away from any cam that says theres a core charge that means there useing re-ground cams. and for that price ( $1100.00 )
they should be billet cams not re-grinds. a re-ground cam is a used camshaft that the company then welds new metal to and re-grinds them. if anyone needs me to go into the many problems this could bring about just ask.

Those GM cams don't sound bad but if it's correct about it being 20-25 HP gains, they are using a high grind and I wouldn't be suprised if you throw a code. Also, if it's a high grind and he wants to boost in the future, they aren't the cams I would suggest him using.

Nice find none the less...

Sunday, July 03, 2005 7:33 AM
sorry i did forget to add that i did ask about the cel and i was told no it wont throw one
thanks for reminding me hondakilla. the cams are from crower actualy. they grind them for g.m. then g.m. adds there mark up then sells them to the dealer who adds his mark up. all those mark ups come out of your pocket if you can get right to the sorce you will save money. crower is the sorce they also have stage 2 and stage 3 cams
as well as full race and 2 levels of turbo cams and one for supercharged applications.
i dont know any one out there that has 7 different cam grinds for the ecotec besides these guys. they've been around since like the early 50s so i feel confident in recomending them. but by all means go with who ever you think is the best and good luck.

and if g.m. is confident enough to use them to grind the g.m.p.p. cams they're probubly
o.k.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:53 AM
Nice, I'm very interested in a good set of cams. Thats Jackolope.

Read, then process the info, think logically, than if you don't have a headache afterwards, post your response
Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:20 AM
jackalope wrote:sorry i did forget to add that i did ask about the cel and i was told no it wont throw one
thanks for reminding me hondakilla. the cams are from crower actualy. they grind them for g.m. then g.m. adds there mark up then sells them to the dealer who adds his mark up. all those mark ups come out of your pocket if you can get right to the sorce you will save money. crower is the sorce they also have stage 2 and stage 3 cams
as well as full race and 2 levels of turbo cams and one for supercharged applications.
i dont know any one out there that has 7 different cam grinds for the ecotec besides these guys. they've been around since like the early 50s so i feel confident in recomending them. but by all means go with who ever you think is the best and good luck.

and if g.m. is confident enough to use them to grind the g.m.p.p. cams they're probubly
o.k.

Hopefully soon, I'd use those cams for supercharged applications...

None the less, nice info about them. I was just stating that the high grind wasn't good for boost applications incase he didn't know.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:45 AM
thats cool not argueing hondakilla i know we all only come here to help each other or ask for help theres enough fighting out there everyday for all of us we shouldnt have to do it here too.

grizbone, truce? im not looking for enemies.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:56 AM
Any numbers or a website for the crower cams?

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:07 AM
matt im not sure of a number off the top of my head but call summit they can give it to you 1-800-345-4545. i dont think there open today and there web page sucks it doesnt even mention our engines at all. i do know they dont have an 800 number so the phone company is gonna love you.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:23 AM
Crower Cams:

Contact info

took like 2 seconds to find on their site.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:25 AM
Bah i got free nationwide long distance on the cell phone Thanks for the good info

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:55 AM
jackalope wrote:thats cool not argueing hondakilla i know we all only come here to help each other or ask for help theres enough fighting out there everyday for all of us we shouldnt have to do it here too.

It's all good. I actual enjoy our little debates somewhat cause we both make good points.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:14 AM
Good responses guys, and I've found one more company that make eco cams - crower - thanks for that jackalope.

I should also mention that I've updated my profile to take out the mention of the RSM SC. Any cams that I would be looking at right now would be for an NA application only, and I am aware that there are different cams that you would want to get, but thanks for the advice regardless NJ, you are always good for that.

The thing I was most concerned about was codes, like everyone that mentions high HP cams for the eco. After everyone's problems with LZM cams, I think everyone is cautious about this.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 1:00 PM
Influx wrote:Good responses guys, and I've found one more company that make eco cams - crower - thanks for that jackalope.

I should also mention that I've updated my profile to take out the mention of the RSM SC. Any cams that I would be looking at right now would be for an NA application only, and I am aware that there are different cams that you would want to get, but thanks for the advice regardless NJ, you are always good for that.

The thing I was most concerned about was codes, like everyone that mentions high HP cams for the eco. After everyone's problems with LZM cams, I think everyone is cautious about this.

It's no problem, that's what I'm here for.

As far as codes being thrown, you have to understand...our computers are sensitive. They don't like a huge change and if it happens, they go a little nuts. By adding HUGE cams, your increasing airflow...computer is set to see a certain amount of flow and only allows only so much room for more. When you pass that limit it will be like WHOA, Too Rich Code and might even cause you to knock. That's why I say, starting off...you don't want huge cams if your a daily driven/street car.

Now, if you are a highly modified car with a standalone system, you have nothing to worry about and you can throw whatever cams you want.

Also, my belief on the LZM camshafts is that they did insufficient testing and didn't do enough research on the grind. They kept saying "No codes, 15 whp" but they only tested it on 1 or 2 cars. Not every car is the same and could have easily just gotten lucky or not even had that person drive for an extended time period to break them in and see how the computer reacts to it. That's why people were pissed about the LZM Stage 2 camshaft Group Purchase....they got codes thrown (1 or 2) and some even LOST power from it.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:02 PM
Hey, definitely Jackolope. I wasn't really mad, just debating i guess you could say. In any case. Truce buddy.

Read, then process the info, think logically, than if you don't have a headache afterwards, post your response
Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:50 PM
dont forget that when you put in the new cams to re-flash your computer to turn off your speed limiter and your drls right griz? he he

couldnt help it griz.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:34 PM
400 bucks for a new set...nice. cuz gm does mark up to like 600 something...bs.

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!

Monday, July 04, 2005 2:09 AM
1100 for cams, nobody is going to pay that I can go to ANY shop and have them grind whatever spec i want for half that

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, July 04, 2005 4:50 AM
I didnt know rsm even had cams for the ecotec, hmmm that is exspensive.

Beware the Rouge Dragon.
Monday, July 04, 2005 5:13 AM
khaserwolf wrote:I didnt know rsm even had cams for the ecotec, hmmm that is exspensive.

You haven't heard of it because it's so damn expensive...no one has them LOL

Monday, July 04, 2005 8:57 AM
I'm gonna buy 12.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search