Camshaft upgrade for 88 Sunbird GT turbo - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Camshaft upgrade for 88 Sunbird GT turbo
Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:40 PM
Does anyone know of any lumpy cams that work for this car? Im also planning on givin'er a 1995-1999 Eclipse intercooler. If anyone has any other good suggestions for this car, leave one!

Re: Camshaft upgrade for 88 Sunbird GT turbo
Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:02 PM
The only place I thought that might have it was Jbody performance but I looked on their site and saw nothing for it.

Your best bet is to do this...find a junkyard with a spare camshaft that fits your 2.0 SOHC motor or take out your camshaft, send it to Jbody performance and they will come up with a grind for your forced inducted motor.

Before you do anything though, Contact JBP and ask them if they can help you and if they have any suggestions.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:55 AM
thanx for that!
Sunday, July 03, 2005 1:30 AM
jordan kruger wrote:thanx for that!

Your Welcome

Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:11 AM
By the way Jordan, from previous experience with Jbody performance, your best bet on reaching them is by actually calling them instead of e-mail.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:18 AM
jordan dont know whats avaible in your area i know there is a place near me called
racer browns cams. they grind cams, you could contact a few machine shops in your area and ask them they should be able to tell you. just make sure the cam you get is not a re-grind. re-grind = not good things could happen to your engine. and you'd
be surprised a custom ground cam is not that expensive, racer brown told me that for an ecotec engine the cams would be $100.00 each to grind g.m. sells the blanks for
about $75.00 each so i'd be looking at around $350.00 plus a old set of cams that he could spec out and crazy rays junkyard said $10.00 and i could have both cams. and
i dont know about jbody performance personaly but i have heard good things about them. just make sure you dont get a re-grind. hope this helps you out.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:45 AM
jackalope wrote:jordan dont know whats avaible in your area i know there is a place near me called
racer browns cams. they grind cams, you could contact a few machine shops in your area and ask them they should be able to tell you. just make sure the cam you get is not a re-grind. re-grind = not good things could happen to your engine. and you'd
be surprised a custom ground cam is not that expensive, racer brown told me that for an ecotec engine the cams would be $100.00 each to grind g.m. sells the blanks for
about $75.00 each so i'd be looking at around $350.00 plus a old set of cams that he could spec out and crazy rays junkyard said $10.00 and i could have both cams. and
i dont know about jbody performance personaly but i have heard good things about them. just make sure you dont get a re-grind. hope this helps you out.

Ok a couple things. I would highly not suggest that he sends a camshaft to any random shop to just make him a random grind. He has a forced inducted motor and how high a duration or how high a lift is very critical. If he sends them to J-body performance, they have knowledge about 2nd generation J-bodies and their motors. They more than likely can give specs on what cam shaft grinding to make.

Also, GM sells blanks, yes but they are for the ECOTEC motor...not his 2.0 SOHC motor. I'm sure there is a difference.

Your saying that re-grinding is bad...his car is about 17 years old...he isn't going to find a blank camshaft so he has to have it re-grinded. What you hear about it being back isn't necessarily true. The thing is, if they aren't re-grinded properly by someone who doesn't know what they are doing, yes it can equal bad things. If they know what they are doing, should be no problem. Most camshafts that people buy are actually re-grounded...why do you think companies give you a core charge? They want your stock part so they can modify it and sell it, just like (for example) Jbody performance does. When you send them your stock part, they give you your core charge money back.

Also, you keep saying Cams (plural), he only has 1 camshaft.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 5:39 AM
Quote:

Does anyone know of any lumpy cams that work for this car?

No.
There are none.

Lumpy cam + turbo = bad.

Like everything there's an exception, but you probably don't want to run a large overlap (read, "lumpy") cam with a turbo on the street unless you can afford to spend lotsa $$ on fuel.

Large overlap = intake and exhaust valve open together. Pressurize the intake side and open the exhaust valve at the same time and where does your intake charge go? Right out the exhaust pipe! Trying to build boost in this environment is like trying to blow up a tire with a hole in it.

In Europe the Opel Vauxhall 8V engine (same as ours) is very popular. There's more cam options available there. There's also adjustable timing gears, stronger connecting rods, & etc available. These engines are also used in Mexico and South America and performance parts may be available from these areas.

read
read me too

Happy hunting.
-->Slow
Sunday, July 03, 2005 7:18 AM
honda killa most companys dont use re-grinds. most use new cams or cam if you like.
and racer brown is no less a random shop then is r.s.m he just works on circle track stuff mostlyand i know his car is 17 yrs old but if you look in the g.m. performance parts catalog they still sell cams for it. i say cams meaning more then one grind not more then one in the engine. ( or on top of the head since you like splitting hairs ) people
dont need to spend a ton of money. most dont have a ton of money. i was only trying to offer jordan an alternative that he may not have thought of. and no he shouldnt go to just any random shop i said to check around a shop isnt going to invest the money on cam grinding equipment it they dont know how to use it. jbody is probubly very good
i have no doubt about it but a custom cam can be made for any application forced
induction or n.a. and which would you rather have in your engine a new cam or a used one? i know what i'd rather have but if used is cool with you o.k. its your car.

jordan all of the above listed ways are good just make sure you do a little research
before you buy a cam. turbo cars are very picky i know i had one. turbo engines dont really care that much about lift since air is being forced in what they care about is
longer duration and a broad lobe seperation that way the presure your turbo pumps into the engine stays there. just like slowolej said if your lobe seperation isnt broad
enough it will go right out the tailpipe must like his tire with hole in it anology.
hope this helps you and good luck

Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:25 AM
Great tips. That will help bigtime, I wouldnt have considered the "hole in the tire" analogy. (well put!). I plan on searching for one with minimal differences to my original cam, just a tad bigger lobes.
Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:15 AM
jackalope wrote:honda killa most companys dont use re-grinds. most use new cams or cam if you like.
and racer brown is no less a random shop then is r.s.m he just works on circle track stuff mostlyand i know his car is 17 yrs old but if you look in the g.m. performance parts catalog they still sell cams for it. i say cams meaning more then one grind not more then one in the engine. ( or on top of the head since you like splitting hairs ) people
dont need to spend a ton of money. most dont have a ton of money. i was only trying to offer jordan an alternative that he may not have thought of. and no he shouldnt go to just any random shop i said to check around a shop isnt going to invest the money on cam grinding equipment it they dont know how to use it. jbody is probubly very good
i have no doubt about it but a custom cam can be made for any application forced
induction or n.a. and which would you rather have in your engine a new cam or a used one? i know what i'd rather have but if used is cool with you o.k. its your car.

jordan all of the above listed ways are good just make sure you do a little research
before you buy a cam. turbo cars are very picky i know i had one. turbo engines dont really care that much about lift since air is being forced in what they care about is
longer duration and a broad lobe seperation that way the presure your turbo pumps into the engine stays there. just like slowolej said if your lobe seperation isnt broad
enough it will go right out the tailpipe must like his tire with hole in it anology.
hope this helps you and good luck

I understand now what your trying to say. I wasn't trying to be an a**hole or anything, sorry if it sounded like it.

The only reason I said he should take his cam to JBP is because they know about 2nd gen J-bodies and might actually know a perfect grind for his motor. I'm not saying that Racer Brown is a bad company or doesn't know what they are doing but sometimes you have to stick with companies that are more oriented with class of car because they are more knowledgable of our class of car.

Like said before, if you look at most companies that sells cams, they have a core charge because want to re-use your camshafts. It sounds like to me like you had a bad experience or know someone who had a bad experience with a re-ground camshaft(s). Honestly, if they were so terrible, people wouldn't have cams in their car cause sometimes you can't find a new camshaft. I personally have the JBP Stage 1 camshaft and actually talked to the company that grinded them and he's been in the business for 10+ years and he's said himself "If they know what they are doing, there is no problem".

If GM actually sells a camshaft that fits inside his motor, then I'd say get it. If not, a re-grinded cam won't hurt either if done by a pro.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:04 AM
i' ve just seen re-grinds wiped out too many times in the past. companies like jasper
recon, and a couple other engine rebuild companies use them cause there so much
cheaper. i've also seen more engines then i'd like to have seen have to be pulled because of re-ground cams. but if someone could do it and give me a garentee that
i wouldnt have a problem with them i'm sorry i'd still be leary of them. i'm not trying
to bad mouth any company out there i've just been thru too many engines seen too much heart ache had to put up with way too much crap from my wife about my "stupid
cars" to not strongly suggest to anyone that you always buy the best you can. it dosent
have to cost alot to be the best but just do yourself a favor remember if its been said a thousand times before it still cant be said enough " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ".

jordan just make sure you dont cut corners buy the best you can and you will be happy with it. think its better to save $100.00 then dont wonder why in about 6 months your car will lo longer idle or out run a geo.

if you decide a re-grind is best for you thats cool. i'm not telling you what to do its just
i've seen too manty people get burned so good luck.

and hondakilla i'm glad you didnt have any problems from your cam. i'm guessing it
must be a re-grind from as strongly as your argueing. i'm not raging on your car personaly when i say re-grinds suck i've just had too much experence that tells me they do.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:47 AM
jackalope wrote:i' ve just seen re-grinds wiped out too many times in the past. companies like jasper
recon, and a couple other engine rebuild companies use them cause there so much
cheaper. i've also seen more engines then i'd like to have seen have to be pulled because of re-ground cams. but if someone could do it and give me a garentee that
i wouldnt have a problem with them i'm sorry i'd still be leary of them. i'm not trying
to bad mouth any company out there i've just been thru too many engines seen too much heart ache had to put up with way too much crap from my wife about my "stupid
cars" to not strongly suggest to anyone that you always buy the best you can. it dosent
have to cost alot to be the best but just do yourself a favor remember if its been said a thousand times before it still cant be said enough " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ".

jordan just make sure you dont cut corners buy the best you can and you will be happy with it. think its better to save $100.00 then dont wonder why in about 6 months your car will lo longer idle or out run a geo.

if you decide a re-grind is best for you thats cool. i'm not telling you what to do its just
i've seen too manty people get burned so good luck.

and hondakilla i'm glad you didnt have any problems from your cam. i'm guessing it
must be a re-grind from as strongly as your argueing. i'm not raging on your car personaly when i say re-grinds suck i've just had too much experence that tells me they do.

I understand exactly what your saying and glad we can have an understanding. Yes, I believe what your saying about "You get what you pay for"...thats one of my beliefs and something I've learned the hard way with modifying cars.

Yes, my cams are re-grinded, that's why I have a little arguement. I understand you have seen alot of engines with re-grinded cams but you have to admit that not every re-grinded cam is going to cause problems but are more likely to have problems than cams grinded from blanks (which I understand).

Nice argument none the less LOL Sometimes on the org, by this post people would have been calling each other idiots, glad it didn't come to that. Peace bro.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:03 AM
dude your deff not an idiot. and i so knew you had "re-ground" cams. "re-grinded"
ha you kill me!

my 5spd is still funner tho! so

Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:23 PM
jackalope wrote:dude your deff not an idiot. and i so knew you had "re-ground" cams. "re-grinded"
ha you kill me!

my 5spd is still funner tho! so

You know what, I kept thinking to myself what was the proper way of saying it. Still not sure if it's re-ground or re-grounded LOL

I wish I had a 5 speed sometimes...well most of the time...

Sunday, July 03, 2005 1:34 PM
Racer Brown was a big name quite a few years ago. We had an RB cam in one of our vintage race cars for many years. That cam was less than 1/2 the price of the big name grinds but it did just as well on the track.

-->Slow
Sunday, July 03, 2005 6:20 PM
thanks slo. and hondakilla i'm sure it would be "re-grindgroundededed....ed....er"
at least im pretty sure. anyway you get the point.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search