Exhaust bends - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust bends
Friday, July 01, 2005 9:23 PM
I got my exhaust custom bent. But iwas reading that theres different kinds of bends. How can i tell what kind of bend i got and which ones are better?

Re: Exhaust bends
Friday, July 01, 2005 9:28 PM
if you have a mandrel bent exhaust, you'd know it because it would've cost you an arm and a leg

compression bent exhaust retains it's round shape in corners, however, unlike mandrel it does not keep it's original diameter

crush bent is junk and you'd know because it would have ribs in the corners where it was put in the bender

Friday, July 01, 2005 9:46 PM
how are mandrel and compression made. And what would aftermarket cat-back kits be considered? (ie the kind u buy that are already shaped)
Friday, July 01, 2005 11:34 PM
pabs97 wrote:how are mandrel and compression made. And what would aftermarket cat-back kits be considered? (ie the kind u buy that are already shaped)

Mandrel bends are made with a SPECIAL machine that very limited places have. Your local Meineke would more than likely not have it cause it's a very expensive piece of equipment. Aftermarket companies send you mandrel bent cat-back systems.

meltdown350 aka Cody wrote:if you have a mandrel bent exhaust, you'd know it because it would've cost you an arm and a leg

Not necessarily true. Most cases you'll spend $150-200 more than a crush bent exhaust system. You have to remember, you get what you pay for though, so it's well worth it.

By the way, most places that have a machine for mandrel bending are performance shops.

Ask the shop what kind of bends you have when you go back...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:11 PM
compression bent = press bent am i correct?

crush bent is the absolute worst thing you can put on any sort of performance exhaust.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, July 02, 2005 6:27 PM
Spotabee Racing wrote:compression bent = press bent am i correct?

crush bent is the absolute worst thing you can put on any sort of performance exhaust.

true...

compression bends are smooth, however in most bends the pipe will oval a bit.

mandrel bends, smooth as well, but the pipe remains a perfect circle if looked at it looking into the pipe....

crush bends have many ridges in each bend. its like when you step on a soda can you crush it and it causes jagged bends which ripple air flow.

compression bends do nothing but oval out a perfect circle, but the inner diameter is pretty much the same. its like if you grab your forearm muscle and compress it, its still the same amount of meat and bone inside, its just not the same shape as it used to be.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 2:10 PM
and i presume most exhaust shops use compression bending for exhausts... because the majority of them do not have mandrel benders.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:13 PM
I have compression bent on mine--mandrel bending is hard to find. as Event said though, compression bending just sort of "ovalizes" the pipe. you retain the same space in the bends, just in a different shape. there was one post Event made a while ago in which he drew diagrams to show the difference---but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:57 PM
so it doesn't restrict any air flow at all, just i imagine the sound would be different between compression and mandrel bent

Sunday, July 03, 2005 6:45 PM
Does anyone know how mandrel and compression are done tho? as in how they keep their round shape

thanks for the info
Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:46 PM
pabs97 wrote:Does anyone know how mandrel and compression are done tho? as in how they keep their round shape

thanks for the info

mandrel has a "mandrel" which is like a spiral/rings/etc to be inside of it while its being bent. roughly imagine sticking a bunch of metal cd;s in a pipe and then bending it.

compression uses a rounded side press piece and a curved side press piece

crush bends use a concave back piece and the inside of the bend is supported by a rolling piece as it bends, but since there isnt a piece that supports the whole ordeal, just a small area at a time, the bends end up kinked.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search