Dis-2 Switch settings 2200 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dis-2 Switch settings 2200
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:50 PM
I have a queston for all the 2200 owners with the dis-2 installed. How do you have the switches set on the ignition box. I dont have forced induction or nitrous. its just N/A.
I went to install it today and i wired up the coil interface plates as discribed by the directions that came in the box. and i used the msd coils.

Once i thought i had everything hooked up correctly I fired up the cav. and it sounded like switched plug wires. so i got out and fixed it and sounded better after i restarted the car. Now the firing order was correct and the car ran fine at idle but it had lots of hesitation when i gave it a little gas. (It sounded just like the old vw beetles). so i though maybe i got a bad coil and switched them out for the stock ones. same thing.

Now i thought i messed up the polarity on the stock coil plate and doulbe checked. and it was fine. So I then checked the wiring for the msd interface plates and they were correct as well. which now makes me think i had the switches set up wrong. I set it up just like the wiring diagram posted by event from long ago. so im out of ideas and i even ran the dis 2 with the way that is stated on the ny-jbodies page for the 2.4 and had problems as well.

Any help is appriciated. PS i put the msd coils and am running the car without the ddis-2 and it runs fine so the coils are not the prob.

Re: Dis-2 Switch settings 2200
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:29 PM
0 - don't need the extra 4k rpms
0 - don't need retard
0 - electric starter
1 - coil packs
0 - no use
0 - don't need retard
0 - don't need retard
0 - don't need retard

1 } don't bother with staging
0 } 0 degrees retard

0 - sets rev limiter to 6250

Have you run the MSD with the bypass connector plugged in? And what does the led do when the MSD is plugged in and the car is idling?

Also, how does your wiring compare to that posted by Event a while ago? (I think it's still in the FAQ). I followed it to a t and didn't have a single problem.

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 4:16 PM
When the car is at idel the light comes on after 2min or so. and where is the bypass plug located? I got this dis 2 used and i didnt get any thin but the box and the cable/harness.

I followed the wiring that was posted with the color diagram event made in ms paint. that was reposted a few weeks ago by ken 2.2

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 5:31 PM
If the box was used, its possible that there is something wrong with it. Wouldn't be the first time it happened on this website with an msd box, either. My led light comes on instantaneously when I start the engine. I don't have a 2 min delay.

The bypass plug is a seperate piece that comes with the unit. If you go to msd's website and read the 6211 instructions, you can see a picture of it.
You plug it into the harness, instead of plugging the msd box into the harness, and it allows you to run the ignition without having to take off the msd plates. It's helped me troubleshoot the msd box when I was having trouble. Nothing major, just a loose ground.

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:03 PM
ok Thanks on my next day of im going to hook it up again one last time and ill take the electrical tape off the wires and quadruple check to make sure all the interface plates are wired right. But if the msd were bad wouldn't it not run at all?

Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:00 PM
It's possible for the msd box to be messed up, but with the led light still functional. In fact, IIRC, the light is supposed to blink if the msd box is malfunctioning.

Your best bet would be to find someone in the area with the bypass plug and borrow it. If it fires up properly, then you know the problem is with the msd box. If you're knowledgeable enough, you could probably create your own bypass plug, since all it is is a big jumper that does 8 pins.

Originally posted by MSD

Thursday, April 21, 2005 4:53 PM
That is correct.

Friday, April 22, 2005 8:27 AM
^^ cool and thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search