Starting weird - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starting weird
Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:02 PM
I have searched the forums for a solution to my problem, but this one seems unique.

I drive an 03 cavy 2.2 Ecotec, 60,000 miles. Upkeep has been on time and good. I have just replaced the battery a month ago.

The temp outside has been maybe 50 F. One morning I went to start my car and it started then died right away. I tried again and it did the same. After the 3rd try it started normally and ran fine.

Now each morning or evening that I start it, the engine revs real high upon ignition but then idles and runs normally.

I have no idea what would cause this problem.

Any ideas?

Re: Starting weird
Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:05 PM
I think when a car starts in the cold, the ECU pumps more fuel into the engine to make sure it doesn't stall. Maybe your ECU hiccuped those first two times and didn't.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:18 PM
nogoodscallywag wrote:I have searched the forums for a solution to my problem, but this one seems unique.

I drive an 03 cavy 2.2 Ecotec, 60,000 miles. Upkeep has been on time and good. I have just replaced the battery a month ago.

The temp outside has been maybe 50 F. One morning I went to start my car and it started then died right away. I tried again and it did the same. After the 3rd try it started normally and ran fine.

Now each morning or evening that I start it, the engine revs real high upon ignition but then idles and runs normally.

I have no idea what would cause this problem.

Any ideas?

I am having the exact same trouble. Car cranks and starts normally and *almost* idles, but then dies immediately. I, however, have not been able to get the car running after successive attempts (nogoodscalliwag was able to start on the 3rd try). Tomorrow I am going to try the stuff in the newb FAQ section, but it seems this problem is a bit more in depth than a fuel/spark problem. Thanks for any help.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:21 PM
K i have the same problem on my 96 grand am 2.4 quad...lets figure this out and make it a sticky...however I always get it on the second try...you just gotta keep cranking at it. LOl

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:16 AM
my car will start but when it does start, the engine revs up to 3000 rpm then idles to normal....

very strange
Friday, January 06, 2006 10:43 PM
my gfs mazda mx3 precidia does the exact same

not sure why
Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:10 PM
Well, I've changed out the fuel filter and check fuel flow at both the pump and the fuel rail (also checked return fuel flow and that was OK). Car has spark at the plugs. Worked on the damn thing all day, and it actually started and then continued to run on it's own after messing around with some vacuum line near the FPR. Shut the car off to reinstall the intake, etc. Tried to restart and it did the same thing it did a thousand times before: Cranks, starts, runs for ~1sec and then dies. WTF? I'll keep you up to date.

PS found the blower fan resistor fix in the FAQ. This place rocks.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 9:31 PM
Oh yeah, and the ODBII is pulling these codes:

P0113
P0118
P1298
P1509 (not sure if I remembered this code correctly)

Just FYI, if you can help.
Monday, January 09, 2006 7:20 AM
^I found out last night that those codes were no good. They were just left over in the OBDII module and that the OBDII wasn't reading actually reading my codes. Got the OBDII working properly and it says there are no codes at all. WTF?

Tried replacing FPR and MAP sensor, but no change.

Can someone tell me where I can have my PCM tested? Thanks.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search