my PCM went out...am i right? help is wanted! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my PCM went out...am i right? help is wanted!
Monday, November 28, 2005 4:38 PM
ive been digging through the wires of my car for hours now. a few days ago the mechanic diagnosed my car and said the crank/cam sensors arent getting power and the ECU isnt storing codes.

after spending all day following wires through out the car, i think i know what the problem is. well, not only does the crank and cam sensors not have power, but most of the other sensors do not recieve power when the key is put into the ignition mode.

i noticed somthing while reading the wire digrams in my chilton. it seems that EVERY sensor on the car (including the cam and crank sensors) go through the PCM. basically the wires from the firewall go into the PCM, then from the PCM throughout the sensors to the rest of the engine.

however the power isnt getting through the PCM. am i right? is it the PCM? if so, how much are they and do i have to have them programmed before i can put it in?

i know i have been posting a lot lately about problems with my car and fixing my car, but im really just trying to get back on my feet before the holidays come around. im sorry if you guys are sick of seeing my posts, but any help would be apperciated.

-Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)

Girls make me mad and break my heart, but my car is always there for me.

Re: my PCM went out...am i right? help is wanted!
Monday, November 28, 2005 5:06 PM
Did you check to make sure the pcm is getting power.Are all the grounds connected?The main ground point is on the front of the block next to the transmission.That supplies the main ground to the pcm.If the car is not cranking,it most likely is a bad ground.If the pcm was fried,the car should still crank because the starter is run by the ignition switch,not the pcm.Also,is the main power cable from the fuse block to the starter connected?Thats all i can think of for now.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Monday, November 28, 2005 5:07 PM
Or maybe the neutral safety switch got disconnected.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Monday, November 28, 2005 5:19 PM
yes the engine cranks, however doesnt turn over. and that ground from the pcm is connected to the block bolt by the starter just like it was before the swap.

im going down now to check and see if the PCM has power going to it. ill let you know when i come back.

Monday, November 28, 2005 7:14 PM
ok im back, and i tested it.

i took the PCM out to test all the wires going in. it seems that it is getting power from the same wires that it shows on my wire diagrams. however the PCM isnt putting any power or signals out.

i turned the ignition key on and most of the wires going in lit up my test light, then with the ignition key off, the 2 power wires that are always hot lit up the light.

but the PCM isnt putting power out, like i said.

is there a way for a mechanic to test the PCM when its off the car?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search