What does that "H" thing between coolant hoses do? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What does that "H" thing between coolant hoses do?
Monday, November 14, 2005 5:19 PM
Does anybody know what that "H" thing between the two coolant hoses that go to the firewall does? I kinda looks like a one way check valve..not sure. Think my car may be leaking coolant from that. Anybody have any ideas?

Yes, this is related to my coolant boiling over post in the boost forum. Going to try the new coolant cap when i get a chance to get one. BUT>>> looked at car 20 min ago after driving last night home from chilliwack, and coolant has leaked out somewhere around that "H" think btween the two coolant lines. Couldn't visually feel or see a damaged hose(replaced those hoses in the spring), so could be coming from that.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft

Re: What does that "H" thing between coolant hoses do?
Monday, November 14, 2005 6:18 PM
If its what I'm thinking it is then its a bypass valve to keep hot water out of the heater core.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, November 14, 2005 9:42 PM
Jackalope wrote:If its what I'm thinking it is then its a bypass valve to keep hot water out of the heater core.

You want to keep hot water OUT of the heater core??? Think again

That "H" pipe is in the case of the heater core becoming plugged...it will still allow coolant to pass through and cool the engine without causing an overheat. Because naturally the coolant passes through the heater core whether your using it or not...should it become plugged...the engine will not overheat.
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 6:02 AM
/\ /\ /\ A by-pass valve for the heater core in case it gets blocked? WTF? And your laughing at me??? Uh, NO don't think so its called a by-pass valve yes but what it does is in the SUMMER TIME when you DO NOT want heat it shuts off the flow of water to the heater core. Do you want hot ass 195 degree water running thru the heater core in July? I do not think so. So before you go at someone at least make sure you know what your talking about. Unfortunatly in this case you do not so stfu.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 6:08 AM
What car are you talking about? I looked at the heater core hose pics and didn't see
a valve there at all.

Re: What does that "H" thing between coolant hoses
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:34 PM
Jackalope wrote:/\ /\ /\ A by-pass valve for the heater core in case it gets blocked? WTF? And your laughing at me??? Uh, NO don't think so its called a by-pass valve yes but what it does is in the SUMMER TIME when you DO NOT want heat it shuts off the flow of water to the heater core. Do you want hot ass 195 degree water running thru the heater core in July? I do not think so. So before you go at someone at least make sure you know what your talking about. Unfortunatly in this case you do not so stfu.

um, what do u think a "blend door" is for jack ass, there is no valve to prevent coolant from flowing through your heater core in our cars. they ALWAYs keep coolant flowing through the heater core incase your rad fan quits, u can use your HVAC system to cool the engine with the heater core. The H vavle IS for allowing coolant to still flwo through to bypass curcuit if your heater core does clog up

if your dont work in a shop where you see this stuff all the time, DO NOT begn to talk out your ass making up bull@!#$ stuff

Thank you have a nice day

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:11 AM
Cool your engine in case your rad fans quit ??? Are you kidding?? your kidding right.
theres NO WAY your heater core with its tiny ass fan can cool anything. Now before you go calling someone a jackass perhaps you should also know what your talking about. Your heater core won't cool the engine at all, I've also looked on the heater core hose route diagrams and there is no "H" thing on either car listed in his reg.

Now as for working in a shop, I've worked in them since 1990. I was A.S.E. cetified master tech in cars and heavy trucks I was also G.M. certified master tech I've had cars in Hot Rod magizine and built more cars then I care to remember. A heater core can not cool an engine furter more a heater core is NOT NESSACARY for an engines coolent system to work it can be by-passed or even removed and the engine will be just fine.

I think you guys are a trip, you know a little about cars and suddenly your a expert. Then when someone who IS an expert says something you think its your job to try and correct what isn't wrong in the first place, well its not. If you don't know something thats fine but please don't just make stuff up as you go all that does is create more problems.

Thank you and have a great day.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:02 AM
ok guys. How would i unclog my heater core? even tho there shou ldn't be anything in there to clog it. Also, not going to take it out cause thats a bitch!

Thanks
Nate

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:22 AM
Ok, if you can not use your hvac to cool your engine, than i must have had some magic cars, because my thermostat has gone out and i turned on my heater, and WOW, my engine temp started going down.

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:35 AM
temperture control vavle probably.

-Borsty
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:52 AM
Nate, Congrates on your magic car!! Thats cool!! It may drop the temp a little but its not enough to act like a second rad to the point where its safe to run the car without fixing the problem.

C24 unfortunatly the heater core tubes are too small for a flush to be very effective but you can try. More often then not your stuck replaceing it.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:58 AM
It IS a bypass valve in case the heater core gets clogged. Coolant is ALWAYS flowing through the heater core. Running the heater fan will cool the car enough that you can get a couple miles without a radiator, but if you leaked all the coolant out, no amount of air blowing by the heater core would save your engine.

This H pipe was a one piece item in earlier models, and switched to a 2 piece item later on in production.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:05 AM
Shifted, If indeed it is a heter core by-pass why doesn't it show up in in the parts catalog for either of his cars? I'm not saying it doesn't exist but its not listed in the G.M. parts computer at work.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:49 AM
What are you searching under? It may be referred to as a coolant bypass valve or some other odd GM name.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:01 AM
Yeah I've searched "by-pass"& "valve" but when I pull up the diagram of the heater core and its hoses it doesn't show anything other then the hoses running into the core itself.
Thats why I don't really know what hes refering to and why I asked him exactly which car it was on. Also why I said I'm not going to discount its possibility of the bypass valve either. I'm just not too sure if its an original part since I can't find it in my system.

But knowing G.M. and their infinate wisdom how knows what they did and when.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:36 AM
I'd be more than happy to ship the one I just pulled out of my car to you for the cost of shipping if you want hard evidence. I also had one on my 98.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:48 AM
Actualy I just found it, On the older cars its only sold with the hose so thats why it wouldn't come up. Its a manual shut off valve for the waters flow to the heater core.
When you turn its knob it shuts off the flow of coolent to the heater core and re-directs it back to the engine. The same way the water shut off valves used to work to keep the hot water out of the heater core for in the summer. I figured since you guys said it was deff there and its factory that it had to be listed some place and sure enough I found it.
On the 00 - 02 cars its sold seperately under part # 22657309 and its called a shut off valve. On the 99 and down to ? cars its listed as sold with the hose assembly and its part # is 22623040 also refered to as a shut off valve. So where yes its a by-pass it needs to be manualy opened or closed to shut off the water flow to the heater core.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 1:16 PM
Well it would appear that we were all wrong on its purpose. I've spoken with my service manager and its a relief valve for when the system builds pressure faster then the heater core can circulate it. Its not a shut off like in older cars and its not designed to be able to handle the flow of a clogged heater core. Its just that apparently our coolant systems can go from a small flow at idle to "old faithful" pressures real quick and if that
valve weren't there it could cause the heater core to go bad sooner.

Figured I'd keep asking till I found someone who could give us all the correct answer.
Oh and yes it can go bad and leak as there is a small "O"ring in it. But for the older cars it only comes with the hoses......sorry.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:14 PM
Jackalope wrote:Well it would appear that we were all wrong on its purpose. I've spoken with my service manager and its a relief valve for when the system builds pressure faster then the heater core can circulate it. Its not a shut off like in older cars and its not designed to be able to handle the flow of a clogged heater core. Its just that apparently our coolant systems can go from a small flow at idle to "old faithful" pressures real quick and if that
valve weren't there it could cause the heater core to go bad sooner.

Figured I'd keep asking till I found someone who could give us all the correct answer.
Oh and yes it can go bad and leak as there is a small "O"ring in it. But for the older cars it only comes with the hoses......sorry.

Awsome. b/c she was spirting out coolant at the overflow tube. Mines an 01 btw. Same thing was on my 95 2.2l. Picked up a new resevoir cap and hope that fixes the problem. THe other one would turn tight for some reason.

Nate

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:17 PM
Jackalope wrote:Cool your engine in case your rad fans quit ??? Are you kidding?? your kidding right.
theres NO WAY your heater core with its tiny ass fan can cool anything. Now before you go calling someone a jackass perhaps you should also know what your talking about. Your heater core won't cool the engine at all, I've also looked on the heater core hose route diagrams and there is no "H" thing on either car listed in his reg.

i know from experience that IT DOES, now im finished...

this was also a tip from guess what, a GM certified ASE master tech with master intructor certification

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 10:24 PM
the bypass is only serviced with the hoses , atleast it was on my 97

m not sure about my 00 i have replaced it yet

Thursday, November 17, 2005 4:53 AM
Cool glad you were able to get it fixed!

Sunfire, Its just not going to be able to keep the engine cool like the rad can. It doesn't have enough capacity. It may help it if your over heating but it can't work like an auxiliary
radiator. Sorry for any confusion wasn't trying to sound like a dick thought you were saying it could have kept the car cool enough to drive around.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 7:05 PM
SO IN THE END!!!

JACKALOPE IS THE TOOL...next time you tell me to "STFU"....try researching there kid...........off to bed with you now...
Friday, November 18, 2005 5:05 AM
Um, NO I don't think so. We were all wrong you included! All you just did was show that you were indeed the tool here. Congrats on your admision of toolage!

Friday, November 18, 2005 6:08 AM
You know what LD I take that back. I don't want to start a silly internet arguement its
so not worth it. Its not a by-pass valve in case the heater core gets clogged shut and its not a shut off valve for the summer time. I was wrong and so were you but I'm not gonna turn this into a pissing contest. Name call all you like if it makes you feel better.
BTW I got you by 2 years there JR.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search