Removing carbon build up? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing carbon build up?
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 4:32 PM
Recently I had a a engine code for a bad EGR Valve (Exhuast Gas Recirculation Insufficient Flow - P0401)

Anyways, it is possible to clean the EGR Valve? Looks like alot of carbon buildup inside. How do I remove all the carbon deposits in the rest of the engine?

I read in another post that you use the PCV Valve hose to suck up Auto Tranny Fluid and that removes alot of it? Is this true?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks.
Derreck

Re: Removing carbon build up?
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 6:20 AM
Well, you can pull the egr valve off and clean it out with carb spray. Make sure the center valve moveds freely.
At my dealership, we do this and also suck BG 44k into the induction system to clean out carbon. We suck it in through the brake booster vaccum line with an extra vacuum line with a ball needle (needle used to air up backetballs) to regulate how much fluid goes in (so it doesn't hydrolock the motor). We suck it into the system until the can is empty and then shut off the vehicle.
Let the vehicle sit for 10-20 minutes. Then, go drive the piss out of the vehicle. It smokes and stutters a little in the beginning.

This cleans carbon from everwhere in the induction system (top of valves, intake, etc).

Hope this helps ya....

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:54 PM
Hmmm ... that sounds dangerous.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:11 PM
did u pump gas when ur car was on and did it happen right after

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:26 PM
just take the egr off, spray it with carb/choke cleaner your choice. hit it with an air gun. While you got the cleaner out, pop off the air intake where it meets the TB, spray/clean/wipe the inside of the tb. Dont worry about any other places. Also you may want to go ahead and replace the egr vacuum line just so you got that out of the way.

Please ignore what zsquee24 said. No disrespect to him, and Im not saying that will not work. Im just saying. if your not familiar with it, DONT DO IT you may do more damage.

Good luck, let us know if ya need anything else.

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search