Whirring noise from transmission - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whirring noise from transmission
Saturday, June 18, 2005 10:07 PM
Lately my transmission's been making a pretty lousy whirring or whining noise that gets worse as rpms go up. It sounds like the kind you hear when some cars go in reverse, but worse. someone told me my transmission might be on its way out. Any ideas?

Re: Whirring noise from transmission
Saturday, June 18, 2005 11:02 PM
any specific gear?

But whirring generally comes from worn out gears.

My Car
Sunday, June 19, 2005 11:48 AM
Mine makes noise when you crusing at any speed no matter what gear you are in. Its not very loud, you can't hear it over the radio.

I just figured it was the getrag since they are inhertly noisy.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 12:11 PM
1st gear I notice the most, then also it's pretty bad in 3rd, and not the greatest in 2nd either.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:26 PM
Possibly a bad drive shaft. Happened on my Z24

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:48 PM
How much did it cost to fix?

Monday, June 20, 2005 6:05 AM
I guess you are talking about a manual transmission? Have you checked the fluid level lately? Maybe it is time for a fluid change too.
Monday, June 20, 2005 9:22 AM
I didn't get the specifics on why this happened but basically the shaft ended up damaging the tranny case. At that point they had to rebuild most of the tranny. The total cost was 2600 CND and that included taxes and a new clutch.

Bring it to a tranny expert. They will give you a good idea if that's the problem.

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search