Popping Noise, New Strut mounts.... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Popping Noise, New Strut mounts....
Friday, May 27, 2005 6:58 PM
How much should new strut mounts cost? Is it an easy thing to do yourself or do you need a spring compressor and things like that. I live in an apartment and they frown on doing auto work in the parking lot, but if I can get it done fairly easily, i/e, without jacking the car up, I'd do it here to save some money. By the way, I live in NC, if that helps with prices any.

My car no longer sucks!

Re: Popping Noise, New Strut mounts....
Friday, May 27, 2005 7:01 PM
Well, I did another search on it and it looks to be a bit much, all my tools are at work, and I don't really want to do it myself anyways. How much should it cost to get them done at the dealership?

My car no longer sucks!
Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:31 AM
The dealership here quote me $650.

Yes.. $650.

I bought the parts myself for about $125 +/- and rented a spring compressor, which I believe was $40.

I know it's JUST a Cavalier, and I'm sorry if I hurt your ego.
Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:50 AM
No need for a spring compressor.

I have a poping noise too in front when I turn the steering from right to left and the other way around. The Gm mechanic said it's the bearing in the mount. I was like WTF? but the part guy show me the image and it's possible. I would take it appart first and check what's wrong before buying parts.

2 guy with welding clamps will do the job for the spring. I even did it by myself a few time without any sprinbg compressor.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, May 28, 2005 9:57 AM
for $650 I will drive out to your house and do it for you

Saturday, May 28, 2005 6:27 PM
How much is it to buy a spring compressor?
Saturday, May 28, 2005 7:37 PM
if you do the mounts do the struts at the same time...you will save both time and money

Sunday, May 29, 2005 8:01 AM
Shafty wrote:How much is it to buy a spring compressor?

I bought the normal manual set for $35

I consider tools to be an investment.. If you have to do a job, buying the tools to do it is usually cheaper than paying $45/hr [or more] of book-rate time to have the shop do it. You have to enjoy doing it though.
Sunday, May 29, 2005 4:54 PM
I don't really enjoy doing stuff like this on my car. Install a Stereo or something like that I can do very well. Last time I tried to do something like this I had to call a tow truck to come get it and take it to a garage...

My car no longer sucks!
Monday, May 30, 2005 3:18 PM
Advance and Parts America will loan you the tools for free. You just have to put down a returnable deposit.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search