engine stalling - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine stalling
Friday, May 27, 2005 12:07 PM
ok i have a 97 sunfire 2.4 auto and recently it began stalling when i begin to accelerate from an idle. it revs fine in park and neutral, and it runs fine at highway speeds. it just wants to stall for that initial second after i push the gas to accelerate. If i hold the gas steady it will stall out then pick back up again and run fine until the next time i let my foot off the gas and accelerate again.. my check engine light finally came on about 20 minutes ago.. any hints? Spark plugs are fine and nothing seems wet..

Thanks
Justin

~Go Navy~ Accelerate your life... Right into the persian gulf!
Petty Officer Justin Hegenbart, USN

Re: engine stalling
Friday, May 27, 2005 12:15 PM
Sounds like your IAC. (Idle Air Control valve.)

No tenemos que vivir asi! Sangre de mis manos!
Saturday, May 28, 2005 6:46 AM
Might be the IAC. Could possibly be a clogged fuel filter.
Have the codes read at a shop.
Saturday, May 28, 2005 7:17 AM
I've got a similar problem. My 98 Z24 does it after it gets up to running tem. I noticed that when the cruse control is on, I can see the RPM vary a little as the control tries to keep a constant speed. The car does try to stall when I am starting from a stop. I am hoping it is just a fuel filter. If it's the IAC or TPS, I'm screwed since I don't know where they are or how to replace them. Plus the price on them, especially the IAC, isn't cheap. I haven't had any codes thrown yet. I'm wondering, is that possible if either of the sensors are bad?

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Saturday, May 28, 2005 7:29 PM
I'm having the same problems. it happend after I replaced the water pump.
then after I replaced the water pump, I also get the check engine light to come on.
it says system too ritch and I replaced the O-two censor, but the light still comes on.

my car stalls sometimes when I stop and go, and if I have the AC on it does it even more.

so I have system too Ritch, and stalling when it starts...
What the heck could it be

Saturday, May 28, 2005 8:00 PM
could possibly be the TCC switch or better know as the torque convertor switch which is ONLY for automatic transmission cars.What happens is the car can stall coming to or from a stop, to do a simple check u can simply disconnect the switch plug at the transm if it clears up thats the culprit.U would need to replace the switch and change the auto fluid as well being that worn out fluid heats up and burns up the switch,so to just replace the switch would result in it inturn being burnt again.I do know the location of the switch but ,discon it will in no way harm ur car only reduce the fuel economy a lil.Just a suggestion.Ok have u change ur trans fluid like ever bc that may b why the car runs like it does,not saying that other things mayb causing it but, something to consider.

Monday, May 30, 2005 1:59 PM
Thught I would give an update on my problem. This morning I was looking to see what all would be involved in swapping out the TPS. I found a bad vacuum line right where the TPS plug is. The line goes into the underside of the throttle body. Changed out this line and all working fine. Guess the first thing you should check is all vacuum lines before you assue the worst.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search