Pinging Noise - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pinging Noise
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:24 PM
Recently on Start-up ive been getting a noticeable pinging/high pitch rattle from the engine bay. (Only noticeable outside of vehicle) It is very distinctive but usually goes away after a few mintues, this morning however it didnt happen on startup, this time it idle as normal but after a few mintues the noise started and seemed to go on for a while. Didnt drive the vehicle to work left it sitting at home all day. When i got home i started the vehicle and as usual i got the noise which went away after a few minutes at idle. You can still hear the noise but its faint and only noticeable when you really listen for it. It seems to be coming from the left side of the engine, Timing cover side. Im worried that it might be timing chain problems. I dont seem to be having any power issues. The noise does NOT get louder or change when rpm's are raised. I have also noticed that when revved the vehicle will smoke slightly more then normal (when cold). I've used a stethescope (sp) and placed it up agaisnt the timing cover, i do not hear the noise at all, it seems to be present more lower down the engine towards the bottom. does anybody have any ideas on what it may be?

The vehicle is a 95 cavalier with the '2.3 quad four DOHC'
Also does anybody know whether that engine is 'interference' or not?

Thankyou in advance!

(99 - Sunfire - Red - 2200)(95 - Cavalier z24 - Purple - 2.3 quad four)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search