Misfire - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Misfire
Thursday, December 28, 2006 2:13 PM
I just put a rebuilt stock motor (2.2) back into my 2000 Cavalier. It has a misfire at idle, but if i pull the plug wire off from cylinder 1, it gets better?? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is?? I iunplugged the coil packs and wires and stuff and only code i got was "idle control system high rpm". I erased this and have not got it again. I plan on doin some searchin on here later, but thanks in advance.

Re: Misfire
Sunday, December 31, 2006 1:13 PM
Have the plugs and wires been replaced, Also are spark plugs properly gapped, Also IAC could be carboned up.
Re: Misfire
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:08 AM
I have a 1998 Cavalier 2.2L with 210 900 kms

I'm getting a "check engine" light right now that will not go out. A week ago she started stalling and misfiring almost like there was water or condensation is the gas. She'd barely run on four cylinders like.

So I would get her going barely and have to give it some gas like a manual idle just to keep her going.

When I did get her running after all the misfiring, she seemed ok. Just really lagging like an improper fuel to air ratio. I already had both oxygen sensors replaced not too long ago which fixed a similar stalling and misfire first and bogging when she'd get going.

It's a bogging that can be described as almost like a lean fuel mixture or too rich. I'm not even sure what's going on. I went on a 25 km or so drive and shut her down for a bit. Then I went out later for a drive to get some gas and the light went out.

That was all well and good. So she started working correctly again (getting the proper fuel- to-air) then about a week later she started stalling and misfiring again. I figured "OH great".

I just thought she would go through her fits and the engine light might have a chance at coming off and she'd work right again type thing. Well, I was wrong. I've had that light on for a few days now. The exhaust sounds different, she's lacking power too.

I should check the coolant levels to make sure it's not dissappearing from a blown head gaskette. That will cause a big reduction in power and a bogging WRX sound.

What about the MAP sensor? TPS sensor? I will try to get her on AutoTAP soon. Does anyone know of this porblem? Or a suggestion as to what it might be??
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search