strange noise please help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
strange noise please help
Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:45 PM
When the engine is cold and if I put a load on it I get this squeaking and rubbing noise. I originally thought this was the turbo bearings wearing out and the fins were hitting the housings (Just to describe the sound). Today I pulled the turbo apart and found no damage at all. After cleaning the carbon deposits off of the housing I put it all back together and test drove it. It still makes the same noise. Now I am thinking its the water pump. Once the engine warms up it goes away mostly. Have any of you ever heard this similar noise? Anyone whos water pumps have gone please let me know if you heard a noise like this.

Re: strange noise please help
Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:01 PM
What kind of condition is youre drive belt ( Serpentine belt ). Sometimes cracked or worn it could cause a screech or rubbing noise. If youre water pump is wornout, It should be leaking out the spout hole near the pulley area of the pump. Only time the pump makes noise if the bearings are shot, Noises like a rattle sound. I am thinking youre Serpentine belt is no good. May even want to check the belt tenstioner as well,

Good Luck
Monday, August 14, 2006 2:14 PM
Well, I changed the belt and gave it a fresh oil change. It still makes the noise. So I opened the wastegate on the turbo all the way and took it down the road. Now it makes no boost at all at full throttle. The noise went away. Now what in the world could be making that noise? I have taken the turbo apart completely and found no signs of the wheels hitting the housings. It has to be the turbo because it only makes the noise when in boost. Any Ideas?

Monday, August 14, 2006 4:11 PM
what kind of turbo do you have? I have experienced once when I had a turbo that was too small it made this noise... or something like that and I think it was over spinning but that turbo ate it hard and fast. oil and brass everywhere, both compressor and turbine fins almost all the way gone, it was nuts... it is possible it is related to power and not boost, how are your CV's...?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, August 14, 2006 4:32 PM
the cvs are fine. It just started making this noise. The turbo has been in and running good for about 6 months now.

Monday, August 14, 2006 9:12 PM
Could it possibly be an air leak in the charge pipe couplers? just an idea...

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:21 AM
If there is an air leak in the charge pipes I would get a loss of pressure correct? I am getting no loss off boost. And just to add another thing. It only makes the noise when the oil is cold. It goes away once it is warmed up completely. After I ran it hard yesterday I took 15 minutes to chang the oil it made the noise louder than ever. Everything else didn't get a chance to cool down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:48 AM

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 11:16 AM
Maybe its moisture on your drive belt. It happens to me when it's foggy or damp out and in 8 mins it goes away.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:00 PM
SundayNight PegCity wrote:Maybe its moisture on your drive belt. It happens to me when it's foggy or damp out and in 8 mins it goes away.

I hate to tell you this, but please read thoroughly.

DCStang67 wrote:Well, I changed the belt and gave it a fresh oil change..........

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:27 PM
I took the engine apart tonight and found nothing wrong with the timing chain, water pump, or valve-train. I figured while I was in there I would put the secret cams in that have been sitting around for about a year. The noise has to be coming from the turbo. I have checked everything else out now.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:30 PM
I had this weird almost turkey call noise coming from my turbo. I didn't notice a loss of boost pressure, but after doing a boost leak test I found a bunch of leaks. After tighten everything up and going over everything the noise disappeared. I'm willing to bet you are having the same problems.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:35 PM
Well I found the problem tonight. After tearing off the timing chain, cams, balance shafts, charge pipes, turbo, intake, throttlebody, serp belt, tensioner I found 2 of the 2 bolts on the #1 exhaust port of the manifold that must have backed out. I tightened them up and NO MORE NOISE.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:11 PM
Awesome.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search