saggy door? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
saggy door?
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 7:28 AM
ok guys my drives side door sags a bit and i was told i can just jack up the door and loosen the hinges move them into place and tighten is this true or do i need to do other stuff?

Re: saggy door?
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:05 AM
???
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:49 AM
Well my drivers door did this and i replaced my bottom hinge, cuz it was the culprit. I suggest putting new hinges on the door thats affected so it wont be a prblem at a later date, btw i have a 2 door.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:08 PM
how much did that run you?
Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:44 AM
The first time I replaced them it ran me 147$. I need to replace them again. On my two door...drivers door.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 10, 2006 4:55 PM
I would advise against "jacking" your door. Leave it closed, get a friend to hold it in place, unbolt old hinges, bolt in new ones, admire your work and celebrate your accomplishment.

Sold 6/30/06.
Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:10 PM
I work in a bodyshop and we fix taxi, coffee trucks and other cars that have a over load of use on there doors And have bought door hinges and kepted using the same door pins!!! its the door pins that wear out not the hinges people buy hinges then bring there car to us? to fix the doors again the avg, door pin should last 5 to 10 years depending on useage and maintance (grease) the hinge should last the life of the car! think about it the hinge has 3 or four bolts rated for 90 lbs and theres 3 or 4 plus the hinge never moves its fix to the door or the frame of the car. What does move is alittle 1/2 inch pin with two caps that fill the hole on the hinges The pin is What moves inside the caps causing to pieces of metal to grind up together under door weight with no grease causing wear

#2 pins are alot less then $147

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:02 PM
could you show me a pic of the pin in the door hinges and point out what part is the pin i have looked and dont really know what part it is
Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:36 PM
I posted this in another guy's thread about his sagging door. This is from my Fiero, but a hinge (with few exceptions) is just a hinge. There are 2 main hinge pieces (straps), a vertical pin, and there should be some bushings in the hinge pin holes to keep the pin from rubbing directly on the hinge straps.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:38 PM
Forgive me for not being able to find an edit button to add this:

In the pic above, the bushings had worn away until they came out of place. This left a gap in the hinge pin holes, which the pin enlarged into an oblong shape
Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:10 PM
Thank you FieroGT42 I suck at posting pic But yeah thats your pin see where the top of the pin is where the head is just uder that you'll see lines going around the pin that where it sides into your bushing. The bushing gos where you see the finger closest to the camara

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:14 PM
Thank you FieroGT42 I suck at posting pic But yeah thats your pin see where the top of the pin is where the head is just under that you'll see lines going around the pin that where it sides into your bushing. The bushing go's where you see the finger closest to the camera on the inner hinge where the hole is. They wear out cause #1 people don't lube them #2 peeps wash there car and wash the grease out

Monday, August 14, 2006 2:07 PM
so i just need to open my door and beat out the pin and get a new one from the dealer and out in it and just like that this stupid prob will go away?
Monday, August 14, 2006 4:51 PM
Madison Zanette wrote:so i just need to open my door and beat out the pin and get a new one from the dealer and out in it and just like that this stupid prob will go away?

you also need to get bushings for the pins, theres 4 bushings and 2 pins on each door, i did my driverside door on my 2nd gen for $14 with parts from a GM dealer, other parts stores sell those HELP kits or whatever that come with pins and bushings as well
Monday, August 14, 2006 8:06 PM
seanski wrote:
Madison Zanette wrote:so i just need to open my door and beat out the pin and get a new one from the dealer and out in it and just like that this stupid prob will go away?

you also need to get bushings for the pins, theres 4 bushings and 2 pins on each door, i did my driverside door on my 2nd gen for $14 with parts from a GM dealer, other parts stores sell those HELP kits or whatever that come with pins and bushings as well

ok cool man thanks for the help i will have to go pick up one of those
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:32 PM
Im going to bring the post back from the dead.

I'm having a issue with a saggy drivers door myself on my 00 sunfire GT. I went into the dealer today and I talked to my parts guy and there are no pins/byshings to replace on the 3rd gen hinges. They did away with them(GM) a long time ago. You need the whole hinge as I was told by him. Upper is $120 (canadian) and lower $50(canadian). Plus I would need a striker for the body side as it's getting pretty beat up and grooved.

I talked to the trim guy at the dealer and he said he could adjust the hings and put a new striker on the body side and he said it would be like new. he said it takes about 30-40min to do.

So i'm kind of lost on what to do. Is the hinge worn out? Or do the hinges just need adjusted? I know i'll need a new door striker on the body side.

The adjustment should cost about $50-$60 bucks. 30-40min labor.

Can anyone elaborate?
Thursday, January 18, 2007 7:17 AM
Bump, Anyone?
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:35 AM
Bump
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:08 PM
Ok well my door is slowing getting worse. Bump to this post.
Monday, August 04, 2008 10:25 PM
i had the same problem on my 97 z24, just go to your local junkyard and grab both a top and bottom hinge for your door off
a newer cavalier or sunfire, and keep the bolts just in case, and then switch them out yourself, i did it in about an hour and a half, it just takes two people and some patience to get the door to sit and close right again,and also make sure that the seals inside and the weather stripping are tight after the new hinges are on or else youll end up with a nice leak

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search