Sunroof skipped track - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunroof skipped track
Friday, May 05, 2006 12:38 AM
First off, yes, I have read through the similar forums.

My problem is that while closing the sunroof one side skipped about 2 inches, so now the glass is of kilter. I took the motor out, reset everything, greased the tracks, and it happened again. Checked the sprocket and the teeth are all there and in good shape. I did however; notice that the tubes in which the "springs" travel are filled with,what appears to be, a lubricant (?greese?). There also small bits of what looks like plastic or metal shavings which floating within the greese. I have concluded that the lubricant which coats these springs, within the tubes, has failed and is causing greater friction on one side than on the other.

So here are my questions:
1- Does my conclusion seem logical?
2- Is there supposed to be a lubricant within these tubes?
3- If so, what type of greese should I use to replace the old greese.
4- What would be the best cleaning agent that will remove the old greese while not damaging these tubes.

Any input on my situation would be greatly appreciated even if you could only answer one or a few of my questions.

Re: Sunroof skipped track
Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:30 PM
Sounds like the channels have worn grooves in it, In which cause by lack of lube, You may need to get replacement channels from the dealer or Wrecking yard.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search