Best place to get a bodykit from? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best place to get a bodykit from?
Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:41 PM
I want a bodykit for my 2000 Sunfire and I really like Andysautosports front bumper. What is the best place to get a kit from?

Re: Best place to get a bodykit from?
Friday, November 26, 2010 7:14 AM
teh jeffie.

Friday, November 26, 2010 2:01 PM
GM

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:51 AM
Fiberglass bumpers=LOTS of B.S. work to get them to even come close to fitting. And super brittle.

Urethane bumpers=No issues, Very forgiving much like the stock bumpers.

Remember, You get what you pay for.

Monday, November 29, 2010 6:46 PM
A good place is andys autosport, ive been looking at their body kits for awhile. ask what material they use... im going to go with the duraflex bomber style because duraflex is cheap and quality material... you can pay an extra 100 bucks or so to get the urethane front bumper, urethane is a soft material like rubber that will bend back into shape when hit...
Monday, November 29, 2010 11:25 PM
Andys Autosports

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:08 AM
Jacob Dacus wrote:A good place is andys autosport, ive been looking at their body kits for awhile. ask what material they use... im going to go with the duraflex bomber style because duraflex is cheap and quality material... you can pay an extra 100 bucks or so to get the urethane front bumper, urethane is a soft material like rubber that will bend back into shape when hit...

1. Most kits you're going to buy from AAS are junk. Most of the vendors they deal with make a cheaply fabricated product. I have yet to see/install a fiberglass piece from AAS that fit correctly, not to mention the bumpers are usually ridiculously thin and need additional layers of glass to stiffen them up a bit.

2. Duraflex is just a fancy way of saying fiberglass bumper that was made with a slightly less brittle resin. They're still fiberglass, they take damage just like fiberglass, and they fit out of the box just as poorly as fiberglass. I see most sights advertise Duraflex as a combination of fiberglass, flex resins, and plastic. First red flag should be the claim of combining fiberglass resin and plastic. That's like telling you can combine oil and water. Doesn't work. And as far as I'm concerned, "flex resin" is a gimmick, it might cure slightly more plyable than polyester resin, but not enough to live up the claims of taking hits and resisting damage like plastic.
When you see the pics and videos on these sites of them twisting the bumpers and bouncing back to shape, they merely showing you a plastic bumper and just telling you its duraflex.

Take my advice (as someone who has installed/modified/cursed at tons of fiberglass panels over the years) and save up the few extra bucks and buy a urethane kit. 95% of the brands out there fit like stock, will leave you with no hassles and headaches, and will still look good for more than 3 weeks.

Had I known the things I know now 6 years ago, my first bodykit would have never been fiberglass. Never.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:54 PM
^^ i agree... stay away.... FAR AWAY ... from fibreglass

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:12 PM
if you wanted to go cav front i have a few fronts and they are thick and have been fitted to the cars. i have few year styles too, i want the space. also have a few side skirts all in new flawless state and few BRAND new.fits fire or cavs. some rears too.

also my buddy has a duraflex fire kit and it is busted bad from the highway. its staying at my place for the winter and getting overhauled. but it shows the quality we needed a light to fix his fog one night and i swear it was a disco front the way the light was sparkling thru lol. seriously.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:19 PM
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:00 PM
Anthony LaVerghetta wrote:http://www.andysautosport.com/pontiac/1995_2002_sunfire/

NO. Stay AWAY from AAS. Besides the poor quality of product, I've heard about outrageous shipping times and poor communication. Read the thread Tinkles posted a link to in this thread.
The only quality vendors I see they carry are RK Sport and Wings West, which you can probably get those items cheaper and quicker by ordering from them directly.

bluedriftcavy(a.k.a. wayne) wrote:also my buddy has a duraflex fire kit and it is busted bad from the highway. its staying at my place for the winter and getting overhauled. but it shows the quality we needed a light to fix his fog one night and i swear it was a disco front the way the light was sparkling thru lol. seriously.

Yup, that sounds about right, They can say Duraflex all they want, but it's still just plain old brittle fiberglass. That's like these morons that try to say their SRT4s aren't Neons. A turd is still a turd.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:40 PM
baysport aero kit my z3 fenders fit perfect lol
Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:26 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:
Jacob Dacus wrote:A good place is andys autosport, ive been looking at their body kits for awhile. ask what material they use... im going to go with the duraflex bomber style because duraflex is cheap and quality material... you can pay an extra 100 bucks or so to get the urethane front bumper, urethane is a soft material like rubber that will bend back into shape when hit...

1. Most kits you're going to buy from AAS are junk. Most of the vendors they deal with make a cheaply fabricated product. I have yet to see/install a fiberglass piece from AAS that fit correctly, not to mention the bumpers are usually ridiculously thin and need additional layers of glass to stiffen them up a bit.

2. Duraflex is just a fancy way of saying fiberglass bumper that was made with a slightly less brittle resin. They're still fiberglass, they take damage just like fiberglass, and they fit out of the box just as poorly as fiberglass. I see most sights advertise Duraflex as a combination of fiberglass, flex resins, and plastic. First red flag should be the claim of combining fiberglass resin and plastic. That's like telling you can combine oil and water. Doesn't work. And as far as I'm concerned, "flex resin" is a gimmick, it might cure slightly more plyable than polyester resin, but not enough to live up the claims of taking hits and resisting damage like plastic.
When you see the pics and videos on these sites of them twisting the bumpers and bouncing back to shape, they merely showing you a plastic bumper and just telling you its duraflex.

Take my advice (as someone who has installed/modified/cursed at tons of fiberglass panels over the years) and save up the few extra bucks and buy a urethane kit. 95% of the brands out there fit like stock, will leave you with no hassles and headaches, and will still look good for more than 3 weeks.

Had I known the things I know now 6 years ago, my first bodykit would have never been fiberglass. Never.

thanks for the heads up brotha cheese, where would i go about getting a good body kit? i know duraflex sells their styles in urethane, you think thatd be worth it?
Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:54 PM
Jacob Dacus wrote:
thanks for the heads up brotha cheese, where would i go about getting a good body kit? i know duraflex sells their styles in urethane, you think thatd be worth it?

Actually, duraflex DOES NOT make anything in urethane...they only make products out of duraflex, hence the companies name duraflex. These guys basically just pioneered the way of renaming plain old fiberglas and selling for the price of something better.

You can check out RK sport, they have the urethane Street Figther kit. I know Pure Motorsports makes a urethane kit for cavs, they may or may not make a sunfire kit. I've heard some mixed responses that bomex has a urethane version of their sunfire kit, though I never looked into it and cannot confirm.

I would check out sites like gravana tuning, or call Jason @ A+ Performance and just see what they have available in urethane, and go from there.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:19 PM
Mmmmmmm, Streetfire front bumper. Thats just sexy. And trust me, i put that bumper through its paces this last weekend, and it held great! Just had some paint flaking off, sue to my crappy paint job, but I have had two kits from RKSport, and I love them, and the abuse they can take from driving in chicago

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:26 PM
imo the only place to get a kit from (aside from gm stuff) is rksport.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:18 PM
wings west . fits great

Monday, December 27, 2010 7:02 AM
I'm going to have to agree with everybody on here and reccomend either rksport or wings west. Both are urethane, and worth the extra price. I also think they have the best looking options.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:48 PM
I got an ait racing body kit for my car a few years back. I mainly got it because it was cheap ( i can see the responses now...you get what you pay for) but hey it works. I have been happy with it. It was a bit tough to fit to the car but was suprisingly not off all that bad from the start. It was also my first time doing any body work so that could have made it harder for me. I also put it on after it was painted against everyones advice time just did not permit me to fit it first so i had to be extra carefull when putting it on.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search