messed up carbon fiber? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
messed up carbon fiber?
Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:07 PM
i have a carbon fiber hood on my cav, and i think the heat from the engine messed it up, in some places it is solid flat black and not glossy anymore, and it fades out. mostly around the cowl. is there a heat shield that was supposed to go on it or something? it was on it when i got it so i don't know what came with it or anything, and is there anyway to refinish it of fix it? thanks

Re: messed up carbon fiber?
Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:40 PM
Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:12 PM
wet sanding and a buff might save it. other wise, gonna need new clear on it!

Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:07 PM
Why not just paint it the color of the car?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:04 AM
You can bring it back to life.
It takes work and lots off elbow grease but my hood was in pretty bad shape from daily driving and not taking care of it as it should've been.

I'd suggest using some kind of rubbing compound like Meguiars #4 cleaner to get off all the oxidation from the hood followed up by some Meguiars #7 which polishes out the hood and gets rid of any swirls that the other cleaner may have left.
This requires alot of elbow grease to do it right and you may have to polish out the hood twice to achieve a good solid foundation for your wax.
Now my hood is like the rest of the car with a glass like finish which is easy to keep clean and clear.

Other than that, a good clear coating of the hood will help it out while also protecting it from the sun and weather.
Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:31 PM
Misnblu wrote:You can bring it back to life.
It takes work and lots off elbow grease but my hood was in pretty bad shape from daily driving and not taking care of it as it should've been.

I'd suggest using some kind of rubbing compound like Meguiars #4 cleaner to get off all the oxidation from the hood followed up by some Meguiars #7 which polishes out the hood and gets rid of any swirls that the other cleaner may have left.
This requires alot of elbow grease to do it right and you may have to polish out the hood twice to achieve a good solid foundation for your wax.
Now my hood is like the rest of the car with a glass like finish which is easy to keep clean and clear.

Other than that, a good clear coating of the hood will help it out while also protecting it from the sun and weather.
Good luck.

This

Or I have heard since most carbon fiber hood's come with more of a gel coat than a clear coat to use meguiars marine oxidation remover number 49 and after using a thorough round of that use some marine polish number 45. I will be trying this sooner of later since my hood is terribly oxidized.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search