can it be fixed? shattered windshield and bent roof.. - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can it be fixed? shattered windshield and bent roof..
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:21 PM
If something large were to fall on the roof of a cavalier, shattering the windshield, and giving the front lip of the roof a slightly unnatural curve.... is this something a body shop can fix?

I will try and post some photos... But my windshield is toast... those can be replaced no biggie... i am mostly worried about the roof line... like where the top of the windshield meets the front of the roof... there is a rather noticable bend, and 2 pretty significant creases in the sheet metal...

I know that typically a body shop will pull and fill dents on flat panels... but typicaly anything with a lip or sharp contours is cut out and replaced... So i fear that would mean welding on a whole new roof... and i am sure that would be costly.

My insurance wont cover this.... and i fear the out of pocket cost will be more than the car is worth...

Please, any of you who work at a body shop, or know a bit about body repair... let me know what to expect here...

Re: can it be fixed? shattered windshield and bent roof..
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:37 PM
200 for a windshield.and somewhere around 800 for the roof to be fixed. that is EASILY fixed without skinning it. ive fixed box sides that were WAY worse from being rearended before.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:45 PM
Wojo wrote:200 for a windshield.and somewhere around 800 for the roof to be fixed. that is EASILY fixed without skinning it. ive fixed box sides that were WAY worse from being rearended before.

So $1000 ish... does that include install of the windshield, and painting the roof? or you just talking a grand to straighten roof and buy windshield and install and finishing on top of that...

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:51 PM
I would not put any prices on it, but it is fixable for sure. Make sure when calling around for windshields that they come with a lifetime warranty against stress cracks, cause if the body shop doesnt get it right, right at the groove of the windshield, it will break again.

But a good body shop should be abale to repair that, and $200 installed is the average for a cavalier windshield installed.

wTF did you drop on it/???

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:05 PM
yeah. im going off out body shop rates. which is about 54 an hour for bodywork. and like 80 for paint. and most bodyshops have windshields installed by proffesionals. and i would say thats about a 3 hour dent. and about 4 or 5 hours for paint, masking, etc. then there are other materials you have that are factored in. but. i would get an estimate. and i would love to see how close i am haha

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:17 PM
John Benham wrote:wTF did you drop on it/???

Im guessing the hood flew up.....

Trevor Mullins wrote:

kind of like a screwed up kids sing along

pete the anal monkey lived in my bum..............

best epiosode of barney ever lol

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:21 PM
Man that sucks, sorry to hear it. Got to get that monster fixed!!!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:51 AM
Tinkles wrote:

Ohes REALLY??

Quote:

If something large were to fall on the roof of a cavalier.....

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:33 AM
John Benham wrote:
Tinkles wrote:

Ohes REALLY??

Quote:

If something large were to fall on the roof of a cavalier.....

hey hey hey now... lets not go starting rumors... just because one person speculates at a possible scenario... doesnt at all prove that i was rushing to get to my sisters birthday party, and got a phone call while i was checking my oil before leaving, and while trying to explain to the caller i was in a hurry and couldnt talk, i forgot to put my hood pins in, got in my car and drove away.

I mean maybe i was racing a ferrari F40... and at one point i let him get ahead of me... and he was pushing his car so hard to get the lead he lost his muffler, which smashed into my windshield at 130 mph... causing the damage you see here...
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:46 AM
LMFAO wut?

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:06 AM
i would blame Obama....seems to be the popular scape-goat these days.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:23 AM
well $220 dollars later the car is back on the road... maybe not "factory perfect" but good enough for me.

$177 for a windshield installed in my own gagrage and about $50 worth of bondo sandpaper and paint....

and well like 3 days of my time... but sure beats $1000+

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:41 AM
I don't get why people fail to use the factory latch. I don't care what hood you have.

Just a poor decision in my book.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:11 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:I don't get why people fail to use the factory latch. I don't care what hood you have.

Just a poor decision in my book.

I has both

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:23 AM
joey douche baggs couldn't even save his hood using both.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:52 PM
yeah, i have no idea why... my hood must have been made wrong... but even with longer bolts and like 6 thick washers between the factory latch, and the hood.... and the latch/mechanism adjusted all the way up.... i only get the safety to catch... but it rattled like a MOFO so i just took the latch off.

Was actually about to bend myself up a new latch... with a much longer throw... but yeah... this happened first....

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:21 PM
does you hood have the 'hole' above the catch latch in it?

mine VIS doesnt and i had to modify the 'claw' part of the actual latch itself because it was hitting the hood where the hole is supposed to give clearance for.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search