FIber glassin question, about heat. - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
FIber glassin question, about heat.
Friday, July 25, 2008 9:25 AM
alright well ive been doin all my own fiberglassin and i had this problem one other time and i fixed it with gorrilla snot.(fiberglass filler) i got a spoiler off a 2..3 dodge neon and fitted to my car, it worked great, and it looks amazing. (ill post a pic) but since its gettin hot out its been pealin, i have it fully fiberglass matted, and its not pealin up there its like the cented of it where i filled it with foam and shet, then i put fiberglass filler in the areas where the fiberglass mat wouldnt hit. like in the indents and all. and its like its exspanding and puchin up on the fiberglass matting, and this sisnt the thin mattine either, this is the heavy exspensive matting. plus there is the lighter mattin under it. but the final layer is the heavy matting, what should i do. i mean i do alot of my own work and ive only had this one and i fixed it when i put the heavy mattin on, but this one wont stop should i just wait till its cooler out again. i did it later in the evening like when it was like 70 out, then left it in the shop so no due got on it, and it wouldnt get the hot morning sun, and i left the fan on in the shop so it stay nice in the moring. well i didnt leaveit on i left it on a thermostat controled switch, when the shop reached 80 it would kick on. and it did, then once it was lower then 80 it would go off. the 2 fans really cooled the shop too so im now lost. i see it as tho its still exspandin cuz of the heat. i always let it sit over night after appling a layer of stuff. it was done, primed and everything, then i noticed it pushed up i should say. its not the resin unbonding. its holdin very well its the fiberglass filler under it i guess.

Re: FIber glassin question, about heat.
Friday, July 25, 2008 9:35 AM

Seriously, break that up into a few paragraphs and clarify it.

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:40 AM
heres some of my other work, i shaved the antenna, and i made a dual post pillar, i built my own box, i'm redoing the center console, im rebuilding my trunk. ive got a lot of @!#$ im doing,

oh ya im shaving the tabs on the side, and filling in the dents.
rockford fosgate, P3, 1000 watts peak, 500 rms, dual coil. hit hard as shet. box is built to T2 standards, and the sub is going to be replaced in a few months by a T2.

radiator shield. built by me.

painted.

dual pillar post, these are the only pic have of it.

lights on with the reverse glows and the 5" tach. all gauges are reverse glow faze gauges.

shaved trunk.

trunk right now, its goin to have dual 10" audiobahns for my video system once i get it hooked up.

custom made pedals and dead pedal by me.

custom painted headlights. i painted them with metallic black paint. yes they still reflex, they actually are better now, not sure why, but they reflex better now.

newly painted engine.

shaved antenna, not sure why it shows the area i filled, but you cant even feel anything, its like it was never there but it shows in the pics. not sure why.

shaved tabs and filled in dents.

painted under the hood. the red is goin to be a pontiac symbol. just give some time to finish it.

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:50 AM
refrazed in more paragraphs.

alright well ive been doin all my own fiberglassin and i had this problem one other time and i fixed it with gorrilla snot.(fiberglass filler)

i got a spoiler off a 2003 dodge neon and fitted it to my car, it worked great, and it looks amazing. (ill post a pic) but since its gettin hot out its been pealin, i have it fully fiberglass matted. Its not actually pealin up there its like a spot in the center of it where i filled it with foam and shet, then i put fiberglass filler in the areas where the fiberglass mat wouldnt hit. like in the indents and all. Its like its expanding and pushin up on the fiberglass matting, breaking it and makin it peal the primer off, and cracking the fiberglass resin. This isnt the thin matting either, this is the heavy exspensive matting. plus there is the lighter mattin under it. but the final layer is the heavy matting.

what should i do. i mean i do alot of my own work and ive only had this one and i fixed it when i put the heavy mattin on and more fiberglass filler. but this one wont stop. i mean i already resanded it and put more fiberglass resin/matting on and it did it again. i know its the heat. but what am i doin wrong. imeasure everything perfectly so its measured out right.

Should i just wait till its cooler out to try and fix it again.

i did all the work later in the evening like when it was like 70 out, then left it in the shop so no due got on it, and it wouldnt get the hot morning sun, and i left the fan on in the shop so it stay nice in the moring. well i didnt leaveit on i left it on a thermostat controled switch, when the shop reached 80 it would kick on. Then once it was lower then 80 it would go off. the 2 fans really cooled the shop too.

so im now lost. i see it as thought its still exspanding cuz of the heat. i always let it sit over night after appling a layer of anything(foam, filler, putty, resin, matting, anyhting). it was done, primed and everything, then i noticed it pushed up. its not the resin unbonding. its holdin very well its the fiberglass filler under it i guess.

what do you guy know about this kinda stuff. i think i refrazed it better so you can understand a little better.
Friday, July 25, 2008 9:52 AM
que?

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:53 AM
So you used foam and filler to fill in holes then fiberglassed over them? I've never heard of using foam to fill in indents but I'm going to assume it's like filler, it's not suppose to be under the fiberglass.

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:44 AM
no i used the foam to fill in hte gap. not the dents. and its actually what your supposed to use when using fiberglass.i used the foam to go across the gap to make the the fiberglass set to it. it worked really well with my other two peopl ive done it for but not this time not sure why. its cut to fit perfectly inside the hollow part of the spoiler to fill in that space. cut it wasnt long enough so i had to lengthen it.
Friday, July 25, 2008 11:57 AM
were any holes drilled in the wing so when you glassed the 2 halves together it could seep to the inside of the wing and cure inside too instead of just the outside?

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:59 PM
LOL at the osb sub box. i need a fail stamp

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:15 PM
yes i drilled 2 holes on each side on the top, then two holes on the bottom each side.

well that is 1" OSB board, and it is an amazing box, it doesnt vibrate, it doest rattle, its completely sound proof, and it will be resinded in a few weeks, then carpetted.
Friday, July 25, 2008 3:25 PM
HUH!!!!!! thats about all i can say!!! WOW!!

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:21 PM
step away from the vehicle..hasnt it been enough!
Friday, July 25, 2008 10:38 PM
Someone needs to go to lowes for some 3/4" MDF...haha
Saturday, July 26, 2008 12:09 AM
did you paint your steering wheel???
Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:55 AM
ZOMG, wow

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:28 PM
alright so it sounds like your all being sarcastic. tell me whats wrong and dont even start on the box, ive had enough heat for it. it works, its cheap. and it doesnt have a single problem in it. but anything else.
Monday, July 28, 2008 5:45 AM
wow. dont touch cars anymore

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:39 PM
make a better radiator shield or get a stock one to the car, dont paint your steering wheel that is so tacky and ghetto, and the yield sign thats on your hood dont do what your thinking about doing with that it just wont look good whatsoever. oh and another thing is your back rims smaller than your front (third pic from top) or is just me. and you can give me your rims if you want. lol
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:50 AM

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:18 PM
Tanabeo wrote:

I see your

and ill raise you

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:46 PM
you know what you oughta do try putting gullwing doors on your front and back doors i never seen it done before and im quite interested in seeing what it would look like.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:53 AM
alright here we go. there all 17" rims, ya i see what you mean tho they do look atlittle smaller but it not the car comes with the rear a little higher then the front it will soon be all the same, like 1" from the tire. the shield was the first one built, im goin to build a one piece on soon out of a sheet of CF. i just need to come up with the time to do that. but until then this one works very well so that all that matters right now.

the painted stearing was my friends idea of a joke that make my car look like shet. i was pissed but everytime i go to the junk ya to get stuff i always forget to get a new one, but now im goin to get another stearing wheel so im not to worried about it anymore.

ive already painted over the red part under the hood. cuz its not goin to work anyways when i get my S/C im refabbin the hood anyways so its not goin to be anygood then. so ive changed my mind on that.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:21 AM
im just joking with you on all that stuff. eveyone is going to condemn what you do to your car just do what you want to your car its yours and noone elses. but yeah definatly get a stock steering wheel or a aftermarket one.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:02 AM
ya i know i hate that, i kick the shet out of my buddy for it. i had him painting some of my stuff and he took the stearing wheel off and took it apart and painted it, what a fag. lol. and i dont mind people condemning it, thats fine with me, its my car and i luv @!#$in with it. i always changed my mind on things all the time and right now im tryin to get the engine replaced, i changed the oil like 2months ago, put in mobile 1 high milage oil, and an ACDelco filter, and then about a month ago, i was comin home after dropin the woman off and ive been driving nicely for about 8-9 months now, and it spun a bearing on the way home i am pissed im driving the truck right now. a @!#$in 351 engine in a 93, f-250. sucks gas like a MOFO. but fun as shet to drive. dual REBEL flags in the bed, lol. im the cowboy around here and i drive a loud car with a fart can, but now i actually drive the part to. lol. since i have the truck but i really miss my car. i luv to @!#$ so when the trucks auto it sucks. another good thing is now i can play road tag with the trucks. lol. ( YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT THAT IS)(PROBABLY NOT IF YOU GUYS DO IT YOUR BREAK YOUR BODY KIT)(I DONT EVEN DO IT IN MY CAR) BUT IN THE TRUCK HELL YA, TAG YOUR IT. LOL
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:44 AM
grammar, punctuation, spelling. try it some time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search