Color-Matched Mirrors yesterday. LIke it? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Color-Matched Mirrors yesterday. LIke it?
Monday, February 11, 2008 7:18 AM
Well went to Advance Auto yesterday to pick out a color for my radio/dash bezel and ended up finding my color in spray!!!(Surprising) So instead of painting my bezel, i decided to paint my mirrors. Here's some pics, let me know what you think!

144db@38hz! It hurts so good !

Re: Color-Matched Mirrors yesterday. LIke it?
Monday, February 11, 2008 7:25 AM
I would like it if the color actually matched

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:08 AM
they look a bit lighter than the rest of the body.

and generally the mirrors look better w/o painting the base and just painting the mirror portion itself.

but kudos on doing your own work

coming back in 2008...
Monday, February 11, 2008 9:18 AM
Yeah they came out a little lighter then normal, which with the tape and everything on it looked horrible, but once i pulled everything off it doesnt look too bad. That and i didnt have a chance to see it during the day, but id have to say it doesnt look to shabby out in the sun. Ill try and put up some daytime pics.

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:45 AM
Also if it doesn't match perfect don't paint the base part that attaches to the door, just paint the housing that goes around the mirror. That way the 2 colors are not right next to each other so it won't be quite as obvious that they don't match perfectly.

You do realize that there are just a couple small bolts that hold the mirror on, it would have taken less time to take the mirrors off and paint them, than it did to tape everything off!

Looks good though!

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:58 AM
Silver Z wrote:Also if it doesn't match perfect don't paint the base part that attaches to the door, just paint the housing that goes around the mirror. That way the 2 colors are not right next to each other so it won't be quite as obvious that they don't match perfectly.

You do realize that there are just a couple small bolts that hold the mirror on, it would have taken less time to take the mirrors off and paint them, than it did to tape everything off!

Looks good though!

Yeah 4 real. Only 3 nuts, but good job none the less.

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:06 AM
this is the color that you would be trying to achieve...

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:15 AM
Not bad, I used the duplicolor paint on mine as well, I left the base black and painted the outer section blue and then clear coated my outer section. Came really close to the rest of the car so no complaints here. 2 thumbs up for doing this yourself!

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Monday, February 11, 2008 11:26 AM
imo they look a lot better then just black.... however I would have to agree with the others about leaving the base part black... any plans on doing the handles?
Monday, February 11, 2008 12:18 PM
As stated above, color is a little off, & you should NOT have painted the bases of them.

But you get an A+ for effort.

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!
Monday, February 11, 2008 2:13 PM
good rule to follow for painting things....

if it can be taken off, do it.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:21 PM
i painted my side view mirrors also with duplicolor.. but in my case the paint actually came closer to matching the color of the car. aqua blue metalic !! i left my sail black.. i hate when its painted body color. but good job painting just need to be darker mabe more coats?

]
Monday, February 11, 2008 3:23 PM
now that i look at it. its more of a copper color then the burnt orange color of the cavalier...

]
Monday, February 11, 2008 3:36 PM
Yeah Im goin to do the handles wednesday. I wasnt goin to paint the bases but after some thought, I figured" what the hell I ll try it". Now seeing yours Vincent, I'm probably goin to redo the sail in gloss black( the original black was hazing bad!). BTW Vincent, where did u get the exact color and for how much? Thanks for all the comments

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:42 PM
My guess would be that Vincent had his done at a body shop when he had his bumpers and hood painted.

But search around there are a lot of companys that make color matched spray paint. I have found mine in an Auto Spray paint at wal mart and its dead on. Also I know that some of the auto part stores in this area if you bring them your color code they will get you color matched paint that is exact, try napa, Oreillys, Auto Value.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:49 PM
Brent Dames wrote:Yeah Im goin to do the handles wednesday. I wasnt goin to paint the bases but after some thought, I figured" what the hell I ll try it". Now seeing yours Vincent, I'm probably goin to redo the sail in gloss black( the original black was hazing bad!). BTW Vincent, where did u get the exact color and for how much? Thanks for all the comments
/

hazing ? ever just try to polish it and wax it ? our mirrors will come to a damn nice shine if you do so.. i would vote against painting your handles, just for the fact that its to light of a color. but if you do make sure you sand real good on the bottom edge and the top, or else the paint will chop away.

]
Monday, February 11, 2008 3:56 PM
mine were professionally done at the body shop, same paint that was used to paint my whole car. besides, your better off painting and clearing them and leaving the insides black.

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:02 PM
Painting the sail panel.....................FTL

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:37 PM
I have a Gravity-fed HVLP spray gun so I might swing by autozone and have them color match some paint for me. Anyways, personally dont think the sail looks bad painted, I thought the sail would look stupid unpainted but, after seeing vincents car, looks pretty damn good! Anyways, Im goin to be painting a couple more pieces over the next few days, Ill keep postin progress pics. Oh and VInce, I only DREAM that mine could look that good! Just don't have enough $$$$ to get it that far! Guess a bunch of Little steps adds up after a while!!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:26 PM
Yep I'm taking some engine pieces off tonight for paint!! Hell I think im goin to turn this into a progress thread!!! Tomorrow night, I'm spraying the handles and removing the door strikes!! It's probably gonna look weird at first, but itll all come together once i get my ls sport ground effects! I'll post more pics tomorrow

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:33 AM
Well I did my dash bezel last night! Not quite done(ran out of paint) but im finishin it up tonight. Here's some pics
Before--

After--

Also think I'm goin to do a How-To on painting plastic and vinyl interior pieces. Took a ton of individual step pictures. So ill throw that up tomorrow when Im completely done! Let me know what you think!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:44 PM
goo that color is fugly man

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:50 PM
I have always wondered, when looking from the inside of your car to the rear view, would the inside of the mirror housing still be OEM color? or would i have to remove the mirror, paint everything, and re-adhere it afterwards? I have never seen a picture from the other direction on painted mirrors, and it has been a curiosity.

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:03 PM
Looks good but you should have smoothed it out first.

I color matched my mirrors too, and I just taped the mirror part off and tried to spray as much and as neatly as I could behind the mirror so its all silver.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:20 PM
Wil Ketchin wrote:I have always wondered, when looking from the inside of your car to the rear view, would the inside of the mirror housing still be OEM color? or would i have to remove the mirror, paint everything, and re-adhere it afterwards? I have never seen a picture from the other direction on painted mirrors, and it has been a curiosity.

I have factory Color matched mirrors (actually 2 sets if anyones looking for Indigo blue) but anyways... when sitting inside the car and looking at the mirror you cannot tell the insides are painted because of the dark color.... so I think it depends on the color of your car... if mine was a light color or bright color I would probally remove the mirror portion spray and re-adhere
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search