Anyone use the 'Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish' system? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone use the 'Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish' system?
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 4:16 PM
Saw this while browsing the aisles at Canadian Tire (USA peeps: think domesticated Lowes/Ace, with a car section) and saw this:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

null

Just wondering if anyone on here has any personal experience with this product... Not the cheapest (about 25 bucks a quart), but still reasonable and a good supply for the whole system is available.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.

Re: Anyone use the 'Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish' system?
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:35 PM
works killer good great results

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:14 PM
well, its duplicolor.....i cant imagine youre gonna get that great of results.

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:30 PM
i used it to gloss black a dsm and it turned out great i thought it was gonna look like sh*t but it turned out nice. ill see if i can find some pics

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:34 PM
well if youve used it i'll take your word. i was just going on the fact that duplicolor is kinda a cheap walmart brand.

coming back in 2008...
Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:18 AM
lostsol wrote:works killer good great results

you're joking right?

ive used the primer and the BC and its terrible. its not even a 2 part mix.

to the OP.....not the cheapest? you get it at autozone. If you can spray, why go with such a crap product? i can go get a quart of the lowest grade paint from Sherwin and it will be cheaper and better than duplicolor

Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:23 AM
Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:
lostsol wrote:works killer good great results

you're joking right?

ive used the primer and the BC and its terrible. its not even a 2 part mix.

to the OP.....not the cheapest? you get it at autozone. If you can spray, why go with such a crap product? i can go get a quart of the lowest grade paint from Sherwin and it will be cheaper and better than duplicolor

I must agree with Joey here.

1. I trust his word, I've never personally used the stuff, but if he's used it and says it's terrible he's one of the few "non-autobody" people on here I trust

2. If you can spray, why not spend a few extra bucks and get PPG or Dupont? (And i'm not talking Nason or Omni... the "cheap" brands through PPG and DuPont).

A professional can only be as good as the tools/equipment they're using. For example, if you buy a REALLY crappy gun, and put it in the hands of the best painter in the world, you're not going to get "best painter in the world quality". Cheap paint, isn't going to hold up as well as better paint... etc.

When I started tattooing, I bought one of the more expensive machines available, "Time Machine"'s. They're one of the most highly regarded in the tattoo industry. Sure, I could have spent $25 on a cheap machine, but I chose to spend the $250 per machine, because I knew in the longrun it was going to be much better, and I'd be able to do better work on a high quality machine vs. a low quality machine.

Now granted, an excellent artist/painter can make good work on a crappy machine/gun, but it's not going to be up to par with what they could do with a better machine/gun.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:00 AM
beacause i had a 120 dollar budget including supplies. also i used thast roll on primer to prime the car, worked ok it filled little scratches and nicks pretty good

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:34 PM
from experience i think Duplicrap is barely good enough to fix scratches the paint chips way too easily and half the time doesnt mix right. i used white duplicrap on my sisters rear bumper and the paint started to turn a yellowish white and looked as if i had just pissed all over the bumper lol. Also if possible try not to use the clear coat either i think that makes the main color look faded after being in the sun for long periods of time. dont get me wrong though it is alright for a TEMPORARY fix.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:08 AM
In my opinion, I would stay away from Duplicolor lacquers.

The Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish is the same stuff in the spray cans -- " It’s a high-quality lacquer system" according to the Duplicolor web site.

Initially, the paint goes on really nice. The fan spray nozzle is a nice touch, too. Looks great, matches the existing paint. However, I have experienced poor durability with Duplicolor lacquers.

Consider some type of enamel instead.

Also, for cost, the Duplicolor Paint Shop system quart top coat was like $30 or so at Advance. This is "ready to spray" which means it has been reduced. Consider this when comparing prices against other paints.

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com
Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:23 AM
Duplicolor sucks. Seeing as this is an old thread please tell me you didn't use their paint...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:23 AM

Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:27 AM
Agree with everyone else. If you can already spray skip on past duplicolor. Nothing wrong with using a little less expensive base like Shopline (especially if painting a whole car where color matching might not be quite as good as DBC), but use a high quality clear. Never understood why some recommend a high dollar base, then a cheaper clear when if anything it should be the other way around.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:00 PM
I used to have a 92 grand prix and i used dupli color to paint the lower air dam, it was horrible it turned yellowish just like someone previously had stated. The paint job itself wasnt bad just the color, it went on white dried yellowish and the clearcoat made it worse, thank god it was so low that noone could see it. Imo dont ever use it unless you want crappy results.
Monday, February 09, 2009 7:57 AM
Don't use this stuff its a laquer which means it will chip off like crazy and will have a poor shine.... Go to Paintforcars.com and purchase at least a urethane single stage paint kit it's only 75 without shipping and get you a urethane/ epoxy sealer which is about 100... cost about the same in the end and will have better shine and will last a lot longer. I've used that website and their paint is really good for the price just as good as paint costing 300 a gallon. Goes on smooth and sprays very easy... Have any other question's about it PM me.

Monday, February 09, 2009 1:19 PM
Do not buy it!!! I've used it and it sucks. My buddy baught the blue and wanted me to paint his honda hatch. The primer isn't like primer at all and real hard to sand it is somewhat rubbery. Hard to explain but you should get it. The blue wasn't bad to spray but it was a real dull color even while wet.

The clear that is a different story. It will not shine unless you cut and buff it. Trust me and if you don't believe me read the can.

Also the paint doesn't cover to well and you will use more than what they say. I ended up using 5 cans of each just to get 2 decent coats.

All in all i would do this if i were you. Go to carquest and buy a gallon of primer, color, and clear along with harnder. I belive a gallon of clear was like 50bux's. It is there cheaper stuff and i get the names of everything if you want. If you were to buy a gallon of each it is about the same price as the duplicolor. Only thing is you have to get hardner and mix it yourself which isn't hard.

Duplicolor paint shop is old technology and won't last and the cheap stuff from carquest is newer technology but decent qaulity and if done right it will last a good while...

But do what you want but if you want cheap and good qaulity just get the carquest paint.. I've never sprayed napa's so i'm not sure on about there paint
Monday, February 09, 2009 3:02 PM
its a poor workman who blames his tools.

ive seen some spray bomb paint jobs look pretty decent... its all in the preparation and how good of a painter you are.

would it last? hell no. would i want them on my cars? hell no... but for a beater, how can you go wrong? LOL

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Monday, February 09, 2009 7:19 PM
duplicolour makes the best off the shelf paint. thast all i can say and thats probably the best comment that can be made

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search