04 Cav HID and DRL ? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Cav HID and DRL ?
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:35 PM
Now i did the searches and i see that most people disable the DRL's. What i want to know is how to keep the DRLs with my HID system. Basically everything is hooked up and works but if i dont put the Headlights on the DRL tries to come on, flashes like strobes and then cuts out and kicks the service light on. What i want to do is NOT disable them but have them so that they are working correctly. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Re: 04 Cav HID and DRL ?
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:01 PM
The only way I can think of making them work is to find a way to increase the power output for the DRL's.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:14 PM
id be interested in this to as mine does the same 3 clicks then sevice light comes on un less i start the car , turn on headlights, then pull out of park.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:17 AM
Thanks for the input. I will see what i can do with increasing the power output. If anybody else has any ideas or suggestions keep it coming. If i get it to work i will post so others can do it if they so chose to. Thanks again. Frank
Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:04 AM
disabling it will be easiest (look up the 00+ drl disable instructions). trust me on that one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:29 AM
ya you dont want your hids flickering on and off it will cause them to go out and then you have to replace the bulbs and they arent cheap. so id go with just doing the drl disable
Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:39 AM
screw the drls......it will burn out your bulbs FAST. if u do manage to get enough power through them. but on the other hand if you like spending money on 75 dollar bulbs all the time. you could put a in line capacitor in and that should work. like a farad capacitor for subs...same principal

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:09 PM
I would also like to comment that everyone else in this post has NO clue on how the wiring works in the headlights. Capacitor? are you @!#$ serious? By increasing the "power output" as you guys say, are you talking about current? Are you talking about voltage? HAVE ANY OF YOU EVEN SEEN A WIRING DIAGRAM?

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THE SYSTEM IS WIRED AND WORKS TO BEGIN WITH, THEN STFU AND DO NOT GIVE BAD ADVICE.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:18 PM
All a cap does is store and discharge an electrical charge. If you wanted to up the current coming from the DRLs, you'd probably have to wire them to a different source of power, one that would be compatible with the HIDs.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:51 PM
Current has nothing to do with it.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:46 PM
accually not everyone i just poked in to see if there was a easier way then crawling under the dash and cut snip bond wires form the diys. ive just been feeling kinda lazy lately but i do see ur point on the whole cap resistor bs.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:42 PM
any to wire the drls up to say fog lights or something else so it will pull current to tell them they are on???

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:09 PM
its more complicated than you'd think. i think we talked about it about two years ago, but it entails doing a lot of wiring and splicing and relaying.

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:25 PM
I had the same problem when I first got my hids on my 2003 cav, for me it was just easier to disable the drls and just turn on the lights everytime. The hids stopped flickering once I disabled the DRLs. Or you could get a wiring diagram and rewire EVERYTHING like the sunfire is wired. On 2003-2005 sunfires the DRLs are the amber turn signals rather than either of the headlights.
Friday, January 25, 2008 6:40 PM
I have hid's on my 04. and the service light comes on. im planning to disable them. but for like a year now they light would come on. no biggy if i know why its turning on. but that would be sweet to wire them to the turn signals. but is it really worth it

ECOtec DOHC

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:42 AM
easiest (read:least effort required) way to do it is take it to the dealership and have them reprogram it with a tech-II. might be a little mre costly tahn snipping wires, but if you're to lazy to follow a step by step faq, then its your best option.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:24 PM
what does tech 2 do?

ECOtec DOHC

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search