SUNFIRE TAILS - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SUNFIRE TAILS
Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:27 AM
a friend of mine has an 05 and she wanted to see if they made silver tail lights for her car. if you had to paint them or either if they make covers. does anyone know where to look or have pics of them. thanks

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=108174799

Re: SUNFIRE TAILS
Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:39 AM
yeah the set up is good but the lense is silver. same as the cars paint. so when the lights are not on it looks like the tails are part of the body. but when you push the break you can see the brake lights

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=108174799
Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:38 PM
ok, with that description, no, nothing like that available

Only thing I can think of is some heavily thinned out automotive paint. Couple light coats to keep it semi-transparent...

Don't know 100% if that will work though.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:43 PM
yea thats how they do what your talking about. did the owner of the car happen to see that on unique whips because they just did an excursion on there show with color matched tails. but your best bet is go to a custom painter and tell him what you want and they will do it. just have to find the person that will do it

Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:30 PM
good luck trying to get that through inspection.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:57 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:good luck trying to get that through inspection.

thats what I was thinking....... that plus the fuzz

Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:17 PM
I know what he is talking about i have seen a Celica do it.. Its just Vinal over the tail lights and when u hit the break the it glows... its pretty sexy if u ask meh

5 seconds to find another street...

Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:37 PM
Shoudln't have a problem w/ inspection as long as the paint is not so thick as to hinder the rear reflector and brake light output, especially during the daytime.

Monday, August 13, 2007 3:43 AM
5-0 will be all over your tail no matter where you live.

Monday, August 13, 2007 2:00 PM
Kardain wrote:Shoudln't have a problem w/ inspection as long as the paint is not so thick as to hinder the rear reflector and brake light output, especially during the daytime.

most states that specify it will specify that it is the same color as from the factory. or blatantly call out red. it would and is illegal. only question would be how often or if at all you got pulled over.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:17 AM
hey thanks for the info guys ill let her know and see what she wants to do. and if she does it ill post it up with details on how we did it. thanks again

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:11 PM
vinyl over the tails. the poor mans shave job.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:17 PM
You could also always revert back to 95-02 and do what Big Poppa did

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:32 PM
holy hell, i forgot his rear looked like that before....helluva transformation

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:34 AM
sndsgood wrote:
Kardain wrote:Shoudln't have a problem w/ inspection as long as the paint is not so thick as to hinder the rear reflector and brake light output, especially during the daytime.

most states that specify it will specify that it is the same color as from the factory. or blatantly call out red. it would and is illegal. only question would be how often or if at all you got pulled over.

Bingo - FMVSS 108 states that an unilluminated rear tail light must have a clearly visible red reflectror, and most states are enforcing that through inspections. Ergo, what this woman wants to do to her car is 100% illegal,so if she goes down this path she is just asking for tickets and serious fines.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:30 AM
ill explain to her this is the wrong path hey thanks for all the imput. and those on big poppa looks sweet ill show her thanks again.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:24 PM
mikeythemars wrote:
sndsgood wrote:

Bingo - FMVSS 108 states that an unilluminated rear tail light must have a clearly visible red reflectror, and most states are enforcing that through inspections. Ergo, what this woman wants to do to her car is 100% illegal,so if she goes down this path she is just asking for tickets and serious fines.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second...

Please explain then if that is the case why a factory set of 95-99 Sunfire Coupe tails do not have a reflector if FMVSS 108 requires it? Last I checked the reflectors are on the bumper... It wasn't until 2000 that they were moved to the tails.

Anyway, back to the original question:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000547.00.htm

Quote:

47.323. STOPLAMPS REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by
Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole
trailer shall be equipped with at least two stoplamps.
(b) A passenger car manufactured or assembled before the
model year 1960 shall be equipped with at least one stoplamp.
(c) A stoplamp shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.
(d) A stoplamp shall emit a red or amber light, or a color
between red and amber, that is:
(1) visible in normal sunlight at a distance of at
least 300 feet from the rear of the vehicle; and
(2) displayed when the vehicle service brake is
applied.
(e) If vehicles are traveling in combination, only the
stoplamps on the rearmost vehicle are required to emit a light for
the distance specified in Subsection (d).
(f) A stoplamp may be included as a part of another rear
lamp.

Quote:

§ 547.325. REFLECTORS REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided
by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole
trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on the
rear of the vehicle. A red reflector may be included as a part of a
taillamp.
(b) A reflector shall be:
(1) mounted at a height from 15 to 60 inches; and
(2) visible at night at all distances:
(A) from 100 to 600 feet when directly in front of
lawful lower beams of headlamps; or
(B) from 100 to 350 feet when directly in front of
lawful upper beams of headlamps if the vehicle was manufactured or
assembled before January 1, 1972.

Again, as long as it meets those regulations, I still believe there is no issue with inspection regardless if the tails are smoked, vinyled or otherwise

However, because I live in an area that doesn't have emissions and inspection, I can only go by what is readily available by searching for it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search