2 Tone Painting - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2 Tone Painting
Friday, August 10, 2007 11:41 AM
Quick Q
I want to give my car a 2 tone paint job, but I dont have alot of money to go to a Paint shop to do this. JW if anyone can recommend for or against Spray painting over my Stock coat, or would I need to buff down to bare metal and start from primer?

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *

Re: 2 Tone Painting
Friday, August 10, 2007 11:42 AM
Dont EVER just paint over your current paint. You have to sand down to bare metal, or primer at least, and repaint from there...I would not advise doing a two-tone by yourself, unless its simple...the two-tone on my bird I did, and it still came out rough...

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:44 AM
I just basically want to slant back from about mid-door. I dont plan on any flame or intricate design.
Will primer hold to clear coat from my stock paint?

* More to come *
Friday, August 10, 2007 11:48 AM
89Sunbird wrote:Dont EVER just paint over your current paint.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:00 PM
find the 2 colors you want, go to autozone/pep boys/advance auto etc.... and grab as many cans as you can of spray paint. proceed to mask your car off with whatever cheap material you have (newspaper, cardboard, beer cases, tshirts). begin spraying. once done, stand back and admire your car in which you decided to cheap out on.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:12 PM
You don't have to sand down to bare metal. You just need to scuff the clear coat if it's in good condition. You don't need primer if you're spraying over the original paint.

As far as doing it yourself, you'll need to research and practice as much as you can before trying anything on your actual car. There's plenty of tutorials on Google but the main thing is you should invest in a good compressor and a great spray gun.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:22 PM
89Sunbird wrote:Dont EVER just paint over your current paint. You have to sand down to bare metal, or primer at least, and repaint from there...I would not advise doing a two-tone by yourself, unless its simple...the two-tone on my bird I did, and it still came out rough...

You don't have to sand to bare metal and primer. unless the paint is in really bad shape and old primer is showing. Start with 320 to scratch the clear coat then wetsand with 800 and your set to go. Sanding to bare metal would be a pain in the ass.

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:27 PM
I wanna go with a nice dark gloss, maybe metalic, black that will last and look good with my silver metalic. I will splurge on the paint, because I'm not paying to get it professional.
Any suggestions on brand?

* More to come *
Friday, August 10, 2007 12:35 PM
I've always used PPG with great results but I've seen good results from Dupont as well.

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:03 PM
please post pics when your done because i really want to see this

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:09 PM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:please post pics when your done because i really want to see this

Will do... May not be for a few weeks though

* More to come *

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:44 PM
Coming from a kid who utilizes spray paint for half his mods thus far.. gloss = bitch.

If you want to have a half decent finish the best you can do is semi-gloss, or matte black. Gloss colours are damn near impossible to get even out of a rattle can on large surfaces. You'll never make the spray lines blend in properly. The only way to get it looking good is flat or semi gloss paint.

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:53 PM
kidduntradishunal wrote:Coming from a kid who utilizes spray paint for half his mods thus far..

Ouch dude! What can I say besides I like the colours, and I ain't as rich as the next guy

TY for the suggestion though. I think I am getting my friend to actually do the painting with a Air Compressor and a Spray gun. I wouldn't ever attempt that with a Spray can!

* More to come *
Friday, August 10, 2007 9:10 PM
Do NOT use spray bomb....

You do not NEED to sand down to bare metal. If the paint on your car is in good shape, and you know it's never been repainted... I'd sand through the clear to the base... apply a sealer (not a primer/sealer) and paint over that.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 2:26 PM
if you cant afford a real paintjob... dont paint your car. its as simple as that. and spray can on a car;s exterior is a big no no, youll regret it, trust me.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 2:32 PM
Yea!
I used spray paint after I sanded down to bare metal on my old car. I didn't do enough preparation, and saw SO many flaws.
Friend of a friend does wicked body work. He's the one who'll do the painting, and check my prepping.
TY guys!

* More to come *
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search