Black Vinyl to cover rear window tinted dot matrix - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Black Vinyl to cover rear window tinted dot matrix
Monday, June 18, 2007 3:17 PM
Possibly some very dumb questions here, but I'm planning to use some black vinyl as a cover-up for the dot matrix on my rear window. I got a raw banner strip off of eBay, uncut. I was hoping to find this mentioned somewhere so I wouldn't have to ask, but I guess it's simply too obvious for anyone to bother:

Does this stuff go on the inside or outside of the window? I wasn't sure if this stuff was even durable enough to weather on the outside, and I was hoping to avoid the difficulty cutting it cleanly enough for presentation on the outside. If it goes on the inside, it would be easier to trim but it seems like the dots would still show bubbles through the glass, even if the tint were removed from the area first. Any comments on this?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 18, 2007 3:32 PM

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com

Re: Black Vinyl to cover rear window tinted dot matrix
Monday, June 18, 2007 4:33 PM
inside for shure. best idea is to take everything off first. clean well and then work the bubbles out. im shure thre are instructios to diy tint out there. good luck

Monday, June 18, 2007 4:42 PM
ummm outside actually lol look at mine

(old pic)

Monday, June 18, 2007 4:47 PM
neb15 wrote:inside for shure. best idea is to take everything off first. clean well and then work the bubbles out. im shure thre are instructios to diy tint out there. good luck

Yeah, I've used DIY tint before. That's why after two tries I finally took my car to someone who knew what he was doing. Unfortunately the dot matrix still looks crappy. I'm just not convinced that I'm not going to have the exact same problem with the black vinyl, which is why I suspected the outside might be better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 18, 2007 4:48 PM

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:32 PM
OUTSIDE!!!!

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Monday, June 18, 2007 6:25 PM
Outside here as well, you don't even notice it.

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:28 PM
TheGreenMachine(isnt so green) wrote:ummm outside actually lol look at mine

(old pic)

love what you did with the rims

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:18 PM
yup outside all it is, is a sheet of vynal. Lay it down as even as possible and then cut the edges. It's easier to actually stick it then cut it IMO.

Winks Online Click Here

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:31 PM
Ok, thanks guys. I'll bet Neb15 is wishing he hadn't responded first.

Granted, I understand the best professional window tinters can deal with the dots without missing a beat. I wasn't so lucky. If it were that simple, then the vinyl probably could go on the inside. Of course, if the dots weren't a problem, I wouldn't need the vinyl in the first place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 18, 2007 7:38 PM

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:32 PM
my brother has it done on his cax and its done on the inside looks really nice.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:21 PM
What is it exactly you are using?

If it covers the bubbles and doesn't look bad, maybe i will get some!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:43 AM
Mark wrote:What is it exactly you are using?

I haven't gotten around to trying to apply it yet, but this is what I've got.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:39 AM
i didnt read all of the replies... but. inside for sure. why? because it looks the best. ive seen it on the outside and i hate where u can see the little edge. and its obvious ur just trying to cover no tint or bad tint. The vinyl should be black on the adhesive side.. atleast the 5 times ive done is has been. Anyway, clean the window really good and stick it on the inside, go outside and look at it and it looks alot better then u just putting it on the outside.. you can cut it down the window however far u want, ive just cut it along the edge of the dot matrix, then took it to a local tint shop and they would tint right up to the edge of the vinyl and you not be able to see the line where the two meet. get outside and look and it looks tinted unless u get some spots where the rest of window u can see through then the top strip its completely black. but ull get that with any method to cover up the dots. overall i feel inside looks the most professional. i know one of the tint shop actually just paints the dot matrix too.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:11 AM
manta z(now o3 eCot3c LsS) wrote:i didnt read all of the replies... but. inside for sure. why? because it looks the best. ive seen it on the outside and i hate where u can see the little edge. and its obvious ur just trying to cover no tint or bad tint. The vinyl should be black on the adhesive side.. atleast the 5 times ive done is has been. Anyway, clean the window really good and stick it on the inside, go outside and look at it and it looks alot better then u just putting it on the outside.

So it seems this wasn't such a silly question to ask after all. It seems like there are two different camps on the subject, and I'm still a bit wary of the downside to each solution. For the inside, I don't look forward to trying to remove the existing tint from that one area first -- though the tint probably isn't well-bonded anyways -- and I'm still worried that I'll get the area prepped, vinyled, and still end up with obvious visible air pockets from the dots. I mean... if there are still pockets, does the opaque vinyl make the problem less visible from the outside, or will it be even worse? Is there any reason why I shouldn't get air pockets with the vinyl when someone more experienced than me couldn't get the tint to lie down in the first place? I guess the bottom line is that I can still do it on the outside if I botch the inside.

manta z(now o3 eCot3c LsS) wrote:i know one of the tint shop actually just paints the dot matrix too.

Now there's something I hadn't considered. Sounds like something I'd just screw up even worse though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:15 AM

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:03 PM
i painted mine looks fine and cost less than that vinyl you got plus you dont have to worry about getting bubbles in it

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:05 PM
vinyl on the inside! looks tits....

WI-Jtuners member
Friday, June 22, 2007 10:53 PM
Why not just take it to a shop and let them deal with it. The labor couldn't be that much to apply a vinyl strip and they probably have some sort of warranty to cover it if you buy it from them

Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:32 AM
John W(Ranger1316) wrote:Why not just take it to a shop and let them deal with it. The labor couldn't be that much to apply a vinyl strip and they probably have some sort of warranty to cover it if you buy it from them

The main shop in my town is just a regular auto-glass place that is simply pathetic for tinting/vinyl; there's a graphics shop that does vinyl but is run by bunch of jerks, and the guy that did my tinting privately probably could do this too, but was the one who left the way it was and said "I wouldn't recommend touching it".

So, I'm looking at going it alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:37 AM

Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:24 PM

nice rims

Sinfir3_El_Niņo
Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:41 PM
jons2000z24 wrote:i painted mine looks fine and cost less than that vinyl you got plus you dont have to worry about getting bubbles in it

hold everything, are you saying that you painted your back window?

Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:42 PM
yes where the dots are at

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:13 PM
painted the glass with what?

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:24 AM
They guy that did my windows just used some standard flat black!!! Looks awesome, inside and out. Took like 5 minutes extra for him to do it, and it was well worth it.

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:28 AM
Outside on brothers old cav. Looks fine.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 25, 2007 7:12 AM
I'm beginning to like this paint idea. I'd just want to make sure I had something that would stay put on the glass.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search