protect front bumper? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
protect front bumper?
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 9:45 PM
can you get anything to protect a fiberglass front bumper or a rear bumper? like somehting medel or something that goes underneath it?? so i dont crack it as easily because i just got it painted

Re: protect front bumper?
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:06 PM
a splitter??

just drive carefully and remember that "angle's" are your friends....

Thursday, March 16, 2006 4:08 AM
a splitter is used mainly for downforce, not to reinforce a kit.

youd probably be better getting a thin sheet of metal (18 or 20 gage) and cutting out an outline of your bumper and attaching it underneth

Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:01 AM

i'd cut out some 26 gauge metal for mine.. it saved mine all the time.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:07 AM
3/4' round tubing bent to match the curve of the kit. glass it in the backside of the bottom. drill a hole on the bottom of the core support on each end of the core support, weld a nut inside the core support at each hole. 1/2" tube steel 3/4" long and bolt to the underside of the core support (where you just welded the nuts). take 1/2" square tubing and make brace from the 3/4" tube in the kit to the 1/2" tube bolted to the bottom of the core support. weld it all together and BAM! i can stand on the bottom lip of my fiberglass drift kit and it moves the whole car. i have hit a couple of raccoons at 60 or so and it hasn't cracked yet. bottomed it out a bunch of times and you guessed it still no cracks. granted this will add approximately 15 pounds to your front end but i have a carbon hood, glass fenders and front bumper so i figure it all equals out.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:05 AM
do you got any pics?
Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:25 PM
john harrington wrote:3/4' round tubing bent to match the curve of the kit. glass it in the backside of the bottom. drill a hole on the bottom of the core support on each end of the core support, weld a nut inside the core support at each hole. 1/2" tube steel 3/4" long and bolt to the underside of the core support (where you just welded the nuts). take 1/2" square tubing and make brace from the 3/4" tube in the kit to the 1/2" tube bolted to the bottom of the core support. weld it all together and BAM! i can stand on the bottom lip of my fiberglass drift kit and it moves the whole car. i have hit a couple of raccoons at 60 or so and it hasn't cracked yet. bottomed it out a bunch of times and you guessed it still no cracks. granted this will add approximately 15 pounds to your front end but i have a carbon hood, glass fenders and front bumper so i figure it all equals out.

a simple sheet of sheet metal would be just as good and wont crack the kit

Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:36 PM
I was planning on getting a 1/4 thick sheet of black abs and cutting it for the spltter look but for the main reason of helping me make it in/out of parking lots, with out cringing every time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search