ECOTEC Engine Cover - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ECOTEC Engine Cover
Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:48 AM
Hello,

I know to some of you this may sound very strange and why would somebody want it. But surprisingly I am very intrigued in getting one.

Basically what I want is the engine cover that you see on all the Cobalt/Solstice ECOTEC's.

I would be more willing to get one custom made if anybody knows where I can get that. But does anybody know how I could go about finding these covers? I think the 2.2L ECOTEC cover won't work for me because of the intake direction. But what about the 2.4L or the new 2.0L covers. Or are there any custom companies around that make this stuff?

Thanks for the assistance.

ImageImage
Defined Parts

Re: ECOTEC Engine Cover
Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:57 AM
I think RKSport makes a carbon fiber cover for the ECOtec engine.
Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:59 AM
Hmm, that is true. I was hoping more for one that has something written on it like ECOTEC or Chevrolet. I don't know if using vinyl on the carbon fiber will work of if the heat will mess it up.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:19 AM
are you talking about vinyl as in interior or sticker??? sticker will be ok on a cover.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:34 AM
Hmm well I will keep that in mind then for if I take the RK Sport route. I think I like the factory covers better though. They have a nicer appearance in my mind. And I could take off what ever the decal is for instance 2.4 or 2.0 and just replace it with my 2.2 decal.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:25 AM
Why not try buying one from a GM dealer. Seems pretty easy and straight forward to me. Your putting too much time and effort out to find a CUSTOM one when you can buy the part from GM.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:27 AM
Well personally I'm not really looking for custom.

I would rather have this:

and just replace it with the 2.2 sticker. I just don't know how to get one of these. I tried the dealer and with out a part number they wouldn't help me.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:17 PM
Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:25 PM
yeah I have some junkyards looking for me. I guess since the only cars I know with the 2.4 VVT that have that cover are the 2006 Cobalt SS and Pontiac Solstice I'm kind of slow on finding them. Plus they are so new the junkyards don't have many available.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope I can get my hands on one. I just hope they aren't to expensive. $160 for the RK Sport one is a little more than I was looking to spend. Was hoping more along the lines of $50 or so.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:44 PM
the covers on the 2.2 and 2.4 eco in the cobalts is rather fugly and alot of them take them off

my best suggestion would be to sign up on cobaltss.net , and post a want add for the plastic engine cover

the bad thing is the TB part of it makes a odd shape in the engine cover and i know your s/c'd now

and the motor you posted the pic of is the solstice motor

also you might want to try to get ahold of someone at mallet and see if you can get that cover from them since they dont need it for the V8 conversions

Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:46 PM
That's some really good advice. Thanks I'm going to try both of those out.

ImageImage
Defined Parts

Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:25 PM
I have a Saab turbo eco engine cover sitting at work...

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:06 PM
my buddys got one off his eco hell prolly sell cheap if you want me to ill ask him

h&rs-rksport-magnaflow-ebc-stoptech-vss-jlaudio-jvc

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:02 PM
Darkstars wrote:I have a Saab turbo eco engine cover sitting at work...

Those bolt to the 2.0L valve cover. The 2.2 doesn't have these provisions. I also think the s/c will get in the way.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:39 PM
I have a cover that came off a 2.2 colalt

would you want thaT?

Friday, March 10, 2006 6:26 AM
Darkstars: I like the way it looks but do you think it will clear my supercharger? I don't know if it comes out far enough or is high enough on the inside.

I've look at the Cobalt engine covers and realized these are not what I want. I now know why everyone gets rid of them. I think what I am looking for is more of the Solstice cover.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet I'm trying to make an engine pay cover that will cover the ECOTEC + Supercharger so when the hood is popped open it is a clean look that doesn't give away that I am boosted.

You already can't hear the supercharger it will be that much better if you can't see it either.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Friday, March 10, 2006 6:55 AM
Would something like this fit?

My Car Domain
Friday, March 10, 2006 8:20 AM
teh Sunfires... (Tom) wrote:
Darkstars wrote:I have a Saab turbo eco engine cover sitting at work...

Those bolt to the 2.0L valve cover. The 2.2 doesn't have these provisions. I also think the s/c will get in the way.

So much for that theory . I guess those are the same three bolts that hold on the decal from the 2.0 S/C for the Cobalt that I can't put anywhere on my cavalier.

ImageImage
Defined Parts
Friday, March 10, 2006 9:16 AM
yup those would be the same 1's

but nice thing about aluminum , you can weld to it , so you can make a aluminum bracket to hold it and weld it to the cover

only way to use the 2.0 cover is to use the 2.0 head , which opens alot of other issues

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:21 AM
Brian !

THIS IS IT , IM FED UP !

STOP HIDING YOUR UPGRADES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You never ever ever ever let anyone know what you have, im stealing your car, putting a full exhaust on it, and putting rims on it.

So take that ...

Friday, March 10, 2006 10:13 AM
White Raven (Ryan L.) wrote:Would something like this fit?

Yeah, that's the saab ecotec cover. That one is a 2003 9-3 sports sedan.

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:55 PM
the hhr come with those covers also

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search